Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Help and hello to you all  (Read 10353 times)
monkeymad

« on: March 15, 2013, 02:33:58 PM »

Danny here from old colwyn in north wales.

I had an accident a few years ago and subsequently lost my job, well now I'm doing OU physics and chemistry.  My shoulder is now getting back to normal almost but my physio suggested a new hobby so thought about metal detecting.

I have saved myself a little budget of £400-£600 for a detector.  Any advice on a good one please? I have read around at different sites and reviews but everyone seems to have such different ideas.  I was looking at a Fischer goldbug dp but not sure now as some say its rubbish but others rave about it.

I ask on here as its real people to chat to and not just reviews.

Also anyone from around here?

Cheers,

Danny.

Marcus Porcius Purpurio

2013 finds:-
Hammered x6
centenary medal x1
Fob seal matrix x1
Tons of other bits now.
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 03:52:44 PM »

Welcome aboard Danny.

That's a very large can of worms kind of question. Everybody has an opinion and your likely to end up more confused
than when you started  Cheesy   Do your research, have a think about the type of detecting your likely to be doing the most of
and that way you can eliminate some kinds of detectors straight away.
I'm currently selling my X-terra 705 plus two other coils for £600 but will not refuse a sensible offer around that mark. Even so,
what I said about doing your research still counts as I would not like to sell to someone without them knowing what their getting
and whether its going to suit their needs.

Mike

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 04:17:13 PM »

Hello Danny and welcome to DW. Grin

As Mike said, consider where you are most likely to detect, either beach or land before you make up your mind. If it's a mixture then you want something that is a good all-rounder. A lot depends on your budget of course but I would suggest 2nd hand. You can usually pass on a 2nd hand machine for as much as you pay when you want to up-grade. (and you will)

What about your shoulder. Is it the one you're going to be swinging with ??  Weight could be a consideration if it is. That's one problem a lot of us have, shoulders, wrists, backs and knees. They all take quite a bashing when detecting.

Best of  luck with your choice.     Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
baycityroller
Rally attendee

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 04:21:58 PM »

Hi Danny, I'm in the same boat as you, thinking about taking up the hobby but don't know what gear to get. I'm hoping at some stage to meet up with local guys to watch them in action and get some opinions. The one thing I've noticed is that a lot of md'ers seem to have a Garrett of some sort. By the way I live in Penrhyn Bay so near to you. Cheers Julian
monkeymad

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 04:36:36 PM »

Hi Danny, I'm in the same boat as you, thinking about taking up the hobby but don't know what gear to get. I'm hoping at some stage to meet up with local guys to watch them in action and get some opinions. The one thing I've noticed is that a lot of md'ers seem to have a Garrett of some sort. By the way I live in Penrhyn Bay so near to you. Cheers Julian

Ah cool, not far at all!!

Well I know I will be using it mostly in fields but will also VERY OCCASIONLY take it to the beach as there is so much around here.

Marcus Porcius Purpurio

Hammered x6
centenary medal x1
Fob seal matrix x1
Tons of other bits now.
alun

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 05:32:13 PM »

Like it has been said by both Mike and Val, loads of choices but so so confusing.
We all have different preferences, I have worked a Minelab ex2 which was brilliant but hard to learn as i was green to detecting.
 I now work a Whites DFX and find it exactly what i was looking for but its not everyone,s choice.
 Hard decision but like Mike said research a bit more, and if you can get out with locals you can make your own hands on choice.
Saying that though my 8 year old son uses a Garrett which works well for him.

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
Little_bro
NWDD Member

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 08:03:44 PM »

as a first detector I would recommend a garrett 250 or euro ace.

Heus, modo itera omnia quae mihi nunc nuper narravisti, sed nunc Anglice

NWDD & NCMD
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 05:41:28 AM »

are you sure you want to use a detecter if your shoulder is bad mate? Shocked

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
monkeymad

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 09:18:16 AM »

Very sure, it's on the mend but need to strengthen it back up with a repetitive motion, physio said it should soon come on with detecting a couple of times a week. Though I was warned there will be pain in the process - no pain, no gain she says and I agree.

I have been looking right into a goldbug dp and a fischer f70.  They both seem to get good reviews!

Thank you everyone for all the help in my quest to join the ranks.

Danny.

Marcus Porcius Purpurio

Hammered x6
centenary medal x1
Fob seal matrix x1
Tons of other bits now.
troutmasterfunk

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 09:32:37 AM »

Are there any members I your area? Maybe willing t take you out for a few hours for a swing? T give you an idea of weight of machines and type of movement used in the swing?
If your going do beaches you could go for minelab sovereign gt or sovereign elite as you can at least chest mount if weight gets too much..
Good luck,
  Mark..
Da Monkey
Superhero Member

secret CTX LuVVeeerrrrrr

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 10:01:48 AM »

Good to see another monkey on here Wink  

If you have a bad shoulder a minelab  would probably be a bad choice for you (apart from the X-terra, which is nice and light and may be OK on the beach as its a minelab, but I've never tried one on a beach myself, single frequency machine, so I have no idea how well it would perform...), if I were you I'd start with a light machine, Garretts are good, but not so hot on the beaches (OK on dry sand), DFX is great all round, but heavier than the Garrett, do you want a display or are you happy with a sound only machine ?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 10:06:51 AM by Da Monkey » Logged

BOOOOMMMM  BABBBBEEHHHHH!!! I've found even more old tat !!!     Grin Grin
monkeymad

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 10:18:14 AM »

Not sure if there are many up here, I did stop on the prom in colwyn bay yesterday to chat to a guy detecting who looked like he knew his stuff.  I said good morning, I have been looking into starting myself... But just as I am about to say my next word he says "look mate I can't be ar$¥d with your type so just pi€€ off". WOW I was shocked, normally my response to something like that would not be, ahem, to kind but I thought ah well, stuff you. I'm sure that its a one off idiot giving the hobby a bad reputation.

I know I will manage the repetitive swinging.  I carry a horrendous amount of fishing gear a few miles sometimes when I'm carp fishing. It's more a case of building certain muscles up in my shoulder.

I have already gotten permission from a couple of landowners I know to dig there undug fields. I am in the very fortunate position of knowing a few decent landowners between here, Anglesey and Wrexham from my fishing. So very excited already.

I would like a meter on the machine too after reading around it can help to identify/confirm.

Marcus Porcius Purpurio

Hammered x6
centenary medal x1
Fob seal matrix x1
Tons of other bits now.
monkeymad

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 10:20:33 AM »

It's great been a monkey, gets me into all sorts of mischief with a great get out clause hahaha.

Marcus Porcius Purpurio

Hammered x6
centenary medal x1
Fob seal matrix x1
Tons of other bits now.
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 10:21:50 AM »

Very sure, it's on the mend but need to strengthen it back up with a repetitive motion, physio said it should soon come on with detecting a couple of times a week. Though I was warned there will be pain in the process - no pain, no gain she says and I agree.

I have been looking right into a goldbug dp and a fischer f70.  They both seem to get good reviews!

Thank you everyone for all the help in my quest to join the ranks.

Danny.

There will be a time when you first start Danny, when the pain will be very tiresome but you have to get past that. I found stopping every few minutes (if just for twenty seconds or so) really helped to take the edge off. I can go a few hours now without too much discomfort but I usually take some pain killers with me which makes a full day detecting a lot easier.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 10:46:48 AM »

Starting off, my advice would be to buy a second hand detector. A good place is

www.staffsmetaldetectors.co.uk

A Laser Hawkeye is a nice machine. Easy to use and fairly light. They're similar to the Garrett Ace but more refined.

But, as said, do your own research by reading reviews and taking your time. Maybe even going out detecting with someone local who has a spare machine.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 10:50:04 AM by rjm » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal