Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The medieval moggie who left his mark on history  (Read 2087 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: March 08, 2013, 11:33:37 AM »

By Hugo Gye

Many animal lovers are familiar with the nuisance caused by cats interrupting their work by climbing across their papers or computer keyboard.

But this is not a new phenomenon, as this extraordinary photograph of a medieval manuscript proves.

The 15th-century book is marked with four pawprints, which appear to be the result of a cat jumping on to the paper.

Age-old problem: This 15th-century manuscript has been damaged by a cat walking across it The animal also seems to have stepped in ink of some kind, leading to the exceptional clarity of the marks even five or more centuries later.

After he sent it to historian Erik Kwakkel last year, the image took on a life of its own as web users shared it as a poignant proof of how cats have been beloved pets for half a millennium.

The book is part of the 'Lettere e commissioni di Levante', an official record of the activities of the Dubrovnik government throughout the Middle Ages.

Document: The book contains medieval records from the city of Dubrovnik, now in Croatia
These days, if a government document was disfigured by an animal it would probably be destroyed and replaced - but back then writing was such an elaborate and expensive exercise that the book could not be wasted.

This week, Mr Filipovic went online to give his own interpretation of the image's success.

'You can almost picture the writer shooing the cat in a panicky fashion while trying to remove it from his desk,' he wrote.

Unique: The mishap is an extraordinary glimpse into the daily life of a scribe in the Middle Ages
'Despite his best efforts the damage was already complete and there was nothing else he could have done but turn a new leaf and continue his job. In that way this little episode was "archived" in history.'

This is not the only incident of a cat vandalising a manuscript - one item in the Cologne archive features a page left half-blank because an animal had urinated on it when it was left out overnight.

Cats were often allowed to live in monasteries and scriptoria because they chased away mice which might otherwise nibble at the manuscripts.

* article-2289563-18808DA7000005DC-748_634x465.jpg (51.43 KB, 634x465 - viewed 315 times.)

* article-2289563-18808DB1000005DC-753_634x431.jpg (53.31 KB, 634x431 - viewed 444 times.)

* article-2289563-18808DC2000005DC-850_634x468.jpg (62.99 KB, 634x468 - viewed 444 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 12:54:11 PM »

That's a nice story. Thanks for sharing.

It reminds me of the dogs prints you sometimes see on roman tiles - or the foot prints out at Goldcliff - or for me on a Samian ware bowl that my parents found, the potters finger prints - clear enough that they could have been used as evidence - it makes the objects more alive I think.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 01:54:01 PM »

I can imagine how the scribe felt, white paper is like a magnet to our cat
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 04:38:09 PM »

Same with one of my cats Geoff.  I sometimes leave things by the phone as a reminder for further action. Every time you can guarantee Timmy will be found sitting on them, guarding them from goodness knows what. Grin
It must have been soul destroying for the poor scribe.  Caligraphy is long and painstaking. I know, I had a go at it once, long ago.

Nice post Neil, a touch of the every-day to it.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 07:51:01 AM »

thought it was only my cat that did that lol.walks over keyboard all the time  Shocked

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal