Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: straight forward answer  (Read 4896 times)
douglas1
Rally attendee

« on: March 02, 2013, 05:25:27 PM »

Hi, as title says id like a straight forward answer......dagger to the heart if need be ;DIs the garrett 150 up to the job?  cos its either me, the machine,or looking in wrong places....If its me,thats ok i can take it.........ive begun taking my time more as advised....ive become more discriminating in what i dig,whereas before if there was a signal then i dug it. Ive tried the testing thing at home with pound coins,ringsm,nails, coke cans etc....yes i can discern a difference in tones,but equally if i put my detector against my shovel,it usually makes ,as far as i can tell, the same ding as when hovering over a pound coin.....come to that a crushed budweiser can......now ok,ive only been out 9 times ..six times to 3 diff beaches....3 times to the same poxy farm Grin and come away with 3.55 (3-50 in one swoop and 5p i saw lying on sand) and a model kids car 99p variety.....oh yes and a half full throw away lighter covered with a pair of knickers.....i left the knickers,if anyone wants the directions to them ,they are welcome  Grin.....im sure this farmer thinks im keeping all the loot to myself............having said that i did find a very thick nail which i thought might be ancient ,and on closer look (see how desperate i am) it might not be a nail at all,cos there seems what might be a face and some detail on it ,maybe feet at bottom and perhaps the folds of a garment visible,plus what might be a kind of miniature candelabra on back.....im prob just deluding myself..a bit like looking at cloud formations and seeing elvis presleys face.....anyway ..is the garrett 150 ,for want of a better word, maybe not rubbish, but not a long way away from it?
carling

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 05:36:26 PM »

you,ll prob have loads of different answers to this question but personally id put it down to ,,you need to persevere, old stuff is about and its only time before you find something that makes it seem worthwhile , myself after 6 years tectin i still dig everthing unless it sounds like a wet fart and you,ll be surprised that stuff that sometimes sound like rubbish is good stuff,, i take it your new to the hobby ,, and many of us {inc myself} prob spent the 1st 12 months digging up all sorts of tat regardless of what machine we used,, the more good stuffyou find you tend to get a inkling where there is more ,,, you just got to start and your away. 
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 05:39:12 PM »

No, the Garrett is not rubbish. I think we all start off like this. Persevere and you will learn your machine and start to get some decent finds.
Da Monkey
Superhero Member

secret CTX LuVVeeerrrrrr

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 06:23:28 PM »

OK, here's the direct answer you asked for..   It's you...  Wink   Sorry but you did ask LOL Wink   Nah, not really, you are just in the real world now, everyone has to learn and we all have really bad days, sometimes you go miles and don't find ANYTHING, ask folk on here.  The Garrett 150 isn't rubbish, you've chosen a really good starter machine there, welcome to the real world of metal detecting !  

Knock out at least the first left hand segment to avoid some iron, this may help a bit.

Everyone sees the news (somehow it's always the new guy that finds the gold stuff for some reason), this makes everyone think it's easy, every farmer thinks they have a hoard of gold on their land (well most of mine think they do).

Its not easy and there aren't "hoards of hoards" out there to be found, otherwise we'd all be retired by now and living somewhere warm.  

I think you've done OK as a newbie and 9 trips out. The Ace150 is not a brilliant beach machine, but a Minelab is at least £300 for a secondhand one, you should stick to the dry sand with the 150, there's still plenty of losses there.

The reason you get a good signal on cans is their size and the fact that they are aluminium which is highly conductive and non-ferrous, the spade is just large and overwhelms the machine, big iron will also do this.

Remember that all the goodies you see on here are the best of folks finds, they don't post all the cans and bottletops, there are many, many holes dug to get a good find, its not a good hobby for quick returns, in fact I doubt I'll ever get the value in finds that my machines have cost me, and that's not why I do it, but remember its healthier than smoking  Grin

Keep up with the practice and your finds will come, but rarely all at once, some folk are lucky, but most of us aren't...

The Garrett is quite a straightforward machine to learn, but you still have to use it quite a bit to learn it, Minelabs and the more complex machines take quite a bit longer (my old Minelab took me a good 6 months to get 100% with
and I had been detecting for quite a few years with a different machine before that !)

Good luck with your new hobby, just stick with it and learn the machine, dont get to disappointed too quickly  Wink

- Andy
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 06:26:23 PM by Da Monkey » Logged

BOOOOMMMM  BABBBBEEHHHHH!!! I've found even more old tat !!!     Grin Grin
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 06:27:11 PM »

many good finds have been made with these machines , luck playes a huge part in detecting so dont loose heart , keep at it and soon a few nice finds will turn up , above all else ENJOY YOURSELF  Smiley Smiley Smiley

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 06:28:57 PM »

Hi Douglas1,

Don't get despondent because you see good finds appear on this and many other forums daily. "Were am I going wrong, Do I need spend £700 - £800 on a better machine"?
These are questions we all ask ourselves when we begin detecting where really, most of the time its just down to research and finding land that has history to find. I've spent many
days detecting on unproductive land and it can be very disheartening. As has been mentioned, persevere and you will gel with the machine. It takes time to make this connection
and I see so many people constantly swapping machines to improve their performance only to find its made very little difference to their tally. If its not in the ground to start with, your
not going to find anything.
GIgan is a hardened Garrett user and she's had some lovely finds with this manufacturer.  I believe she has taken find of the month a few times in a club she's a member of. She's also
(I've heard) pulled a few hammered coins out within the last few weeks. So, stick with it and do your homework regarding places where things were happening in historical times.

My advice would be to dig all two way signal regardless of what the numbers say and try to find land that has a history to it. Ask someone on here to perhaps take you to one of their sites
for a day so that you can see for yourself the difference that alone makes. At some point you might feel you need to upgrade but don't make that decision for the wrong reasons or your just
going to be even more disappointed.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
WeCan-Octavian
Superhero Member

''On it like Sonic''

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 06:40:02 PM »

Don't give up my friend, it doesn't matter what detector you use. Put in the hours of practice and you have to walk over it to find it ! Like mike says all the good stuff you see are the rewards for hundreds of hours of finding more rubbish then good. Personally I've. Probably found 20 more times rubbish then good. When that first Roman or hammered glares at you from the ground your doubts will be a distant memory and your hooked,

all the best Nick

''By order of the long haired general'' I now use a Minelab !!!!!
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 06:54:00 PM »

its not you but wrong location Wink

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
stever

"Wise is he who collects the wisdom of others."

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 07:06:19 PM »

the ace 150 is very good machine and is well up to the job we all dig rubbish from time to time (ok a lot of the time) the only downsize is wet sand. i still use my garret 250 with a large sef coil and dont see the need in an expensive machine at the moment as im very happy with the one i have

Finds Since Feb 2012
Gold Rinds x2
Gold  35g
Hammered-7
Silver coinage-53
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 07:08:40 PM »

we dig rubbish 90% off the time .get used to it or get another hobby lol Undecided.we only show the tidy finds. Cheesy

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 07:46:10 PM »

Just to proove to you that we all dig a load of rubbish I've taken a pici of my afternoons effort. I've been tempted to up-grade my detector and I do believe that when I eventually find a GOOD field if I walk over it I'll find it but till I do find that good field any machine would have done just as well.
It's not you or your detector, it's where you're going. Try to get some more land. The beaches in general are bad at present so thats not you either.
I've been detecting for nearly 3 years and still haven't found a hammered coin and the one and only Roman coin I found I couldn't recognise till someone said 'Oh you've got a Roman Grot' I only had to travel 300 miles to get it. Roll Eyes 
Keep trying, your just like the majority of us. Wink

Val

* 001.JPG (135.6 KB, 600x400 - viewed 806 times.)

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
douglas1
Rally attendee

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 08:06:11 PM »

ok thanks all......I SHALL  perservere....maybe i been watching too many detecting clips on you tube  Grin.....glad to hear im not the only budweiser can collector here. Undecided
Da Monkey
Superhero Member

secret CTX LuVVeeerrrrrr

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 08:18:04 PM »

Thats the spirit Douglas, stick at it mate, it will come, maybe try and get along to a rally and you'll see what others success rates are as well as a chance to get some tips.

Bl**dy hell Val, whats that thing on the top  Shocked  I couldn't get that in my finds pouch !

BOOOOMMMM  BABBBBEEHHHHH!!! I've found even more old tat !!!     Grin Grin
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 08:26:36 PM »

That look like a soldering iron on top there Val. Have an identical design one myself only smaller.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 08:32:36 PM »

I was just going to say it's a pre electric soldering iron. Not often I did big targets these days but I was intrigued by this one. Thought it might be a sword  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

The head is solid copper and weighs about circa 1 1/2 lbs (680 grms)  and it was the first thing I dug so I carried around for 3 hours. Shocked

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal