Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 pences not showing  (Read 3885 times)
douglas1
Rally attendee

« on: February 26, 2013, 08:33:48 PM »

Anyone have any idea why my garrett 150 wont show  5 pences  on coins mode? 20 ps are fine, 1 pounds and 2 pound coins are fine,50 pences are fine..I only found out by accident by seeing a 5 pence on beach ,ran detector across it and no signal at all..not even a split second beep....is it cos my MD is faulty,or just isnt good enough?
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 08:37:47 PM »

It won't see 10p's or 1's or 2's either, they are now all steel cored and so give an iron signal Undecided
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 08:40:32 PM »

Probably because the new 5p pieces are steel and you have discriminated them out. The new 10p's are steel also
douglas1
Rally attendee

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 08:45:01 PM »

ah-ha Geoff....thank you ,thats cheered me up.....another question if i may......should coins other than 5p s- 10p s- 1s -2s  show up in jewellery mode and jewellery show up in coin mode? (prob being optimistic here thinking ill get either lol)  ......as im getting cans and ring pulls under jewellery and coins mode,im wondering if i should just run in all metals modes and dig everything and let chips fall where they may........
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 08:52:59 PM »

you dont want them anyway you want the gooooooooollllllllld lol

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 08:59:47 PM »

The symbols are only a "best guess" and as they are/were designed for the American market, they are pretty close as US coins are and always have been, pretty solid lumps of metal. But here a cut quarter can have the same signal properties as silver foil and so it will always be best to run wide open, obviously there are sites that are so contaminated that you would be digging every couple of feet, here you need to use a bit of common sense. ie if you were detecting a suspected Roman site then "grots" can be very bad conductors and therefore running wide open could be beneficial but if just coin shooting in a park etc then disc is going to be the best idea.
Jewellery can and does come in anywhere as there is so many sizes, shapes and purities of metals which all play their part in how "good" the signal is. Wink
douglas1
Rally attendee

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 09:42:01 PM »

Dances with Badgers........Right now Ill settle for ANYTHING, lol.......lets see ,if i collect 1,000.000 1 pences then........thats.....erm...... Grin
  Chef Geoff, thanks for advice,its appreciated....Im begginning to get feeling though That I should have perhaps invested a bit more money for a better detector,though as is rightly said,if it aint there you cant find it anyway......maybe a bit of added discrimination/non discrimination could have been handy,but there again as a begginner I wouldnt get as much benefit from better machine as you lot would/do. Funny as it might sound The 5 pence piece find  didnt exactly make my day.....but it saved it in a way.....i found SOMETHING,and as they say  ought is better than nought .
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 07:58:14 AM »

you say that know but once you have dug a hundred holes am only made a quid you will change your mind lol.2 pounds,1 pounds ,fiftes and twenties ,bring them on but small copper and silver leave it if you can ,gives you more time to look for the good stuff.gold / silver rings and chains and other goodies all out there waiting to be dug up Wink

gold = loads lol
ruffdog
Rally attendee

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 11:26:36 AM »

I just discovered this the other day, 2p's and 1p's sing up at the high 70 - 80's on my mxt in fact i know vdi#83 is always a 2p.
But i dug a confident -18 vdi that was so steady i had to see if it was an iron nail or something.  And up came a very shiny 2012 5p. lol

I'll be missing these then lol

Tobes
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 06:46:15 PM »

no big loss Cheesy

gold = loads lol
foody
Rally attendee

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 09:02:47 PM »

ive got an ace 250 and i one of my sites is an old ww2 camp. some cap badges give the same sound as 5p's. dig all above iron.

why do bad things happen straight away whilst good things come to those who wait?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal