Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: older finds  (Read 6614 times)
douglas1
Rally attendee

« on: February 17, 2013, 09:02:14 PM »

Just wondering how you people find these saxon coins, brooches, even much later victoria coins or georges etc or anything dating back few hundred years or so. Is it  to do  entirely with research,or have some of these finds been made where common sense would tell you theres no chance to find such an item?
                            Being a new starter and being over the moon at having permission to detect on a farm a few miles from me.I was a little deflated after trying there saturday and sunday for around 8 hours in total and uncovered a crushed up coke tin.....nothing else at all....1 good signal and 1 bloody can which was aeround 5 inches down.....much ado about nothing. a 20 p peice would have been great find the way i felyt at the time to be honest.....in total around 4 smallish feilds and 1 large one.....and zilch.As far as i see it,if there is an historical area ,or an area ,farm whatever ,that is drenched in history,its either off limits legally,or everyone else knows about it,including the owner or farmer and other detectorists and one probabley wouldnt get a look in.So guess my question is,is it just as well to detect (with permission) at almost ,within reason, any farm or area ......and let the chips fall where they may?......or stick to beaches that have been busy during summer periods..or come to that not busy lol?
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 09:28:04 PM »

not me lol Cheesy

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
douglas1
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 09:53:16 PM »

Oh well badgers,you must be the only one here ,apart from me Grin who doesnt find these items.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 11:24:43 PM »

Doug the majority of items people find are losses or things that have been thrown away, A loss can happen at any time in any place so there is no research on earth that can find these, it's just a matter of covering as many miles as you can.
Yes you can research old routes and areas which would point to a greater foot fall and thus a greater chance of losses but you will still have to put the hours and yardage in.
I'm not sure how you are searching but you say you detected for 8 hours in total and then that you have searched 4 smallish fields and one large one Huh Huh Huh Huh
I hate to tell you that in 8 hours you wouldn't even cover 1 acre properly. Remember, that coil has got to pass right over the target and 1 inch away is the same as a million miles.
So perseverance is the name of the game Wink
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 11:40:58 PM »

Sound advice from chef  Smiley also ask the farmer if the surrounding areas been built up Wink

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 02:34:02 AM by nobby » Logged

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 11:50:57 PM »

I keep reminding myself of the 3 p's. Patience, persistence and perseverance. I've lost count of the number of realy promising sites I've come away from with nothing but (as Geoff said) pocket loses. It can be soul destroying and I've often thought 'thats it, I'm never going again'. But after a few days my brains working over time again and out I go. The next one is always going to be the big one.
One thing I've learned is that just because you know there was something there doesn't mean you're going to find anything. On an unknown farm try as near to the farm house as you can get, fields that border a lane, old hedge lines, old drover tracks. Check out these old maps against your area for tracks and buildings or even buy your own.. Have you tried Google Earth ?

http://visionofbritain.org.uk/maps/results.jsp?xCenter=3016027.88557&yCenter=2883841.20712&scale=63360&mapLayer=nineteenth&subLayer=first_edition&title=Ordnance%20Survey%20and%20Ordnance%20Survey%20of%20Scotland%20First%20Series

Keep plugging away Doug.When you least expect it you'll get that lovely signal and up will come something nice.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
carling

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 08:48:57 AM »

i  know many of us detect certain areas that look like it may produce early finds and some really good pointers have been mentioned , it is true that old finds can be anywhere, any field that i first go in i check the hedges first{ about 2 metres in all round} then look for where hedgerows are thinnest or where there is a kink in the hedge {could mean lost gateway or path},, look for any raised areas  {could mean lost buildings} look for any old trees in the field , do they follow a line?}    when youve checked all the above areas i would be surprised if you aint found anything old then do rest of field  paying attention to any buildings that surround field, is there a line of site between 2 or more buildings?,,,,,,,,,,,,if your in a old area look for the smaller irregular shaped fields ,, all these huge square fields are ok as many small fields were were made into i large 1 but in my experiance ive had far more finds detecting the small irregular fields plus they are far more easier to cover as much as possible ,,,,, good luck. 
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 09:18:22 AM »

The other thing that helps you is a good detecting technique.

You need to keep the search head low, level, and swing slow. Listen for those deeper signals that are likely to be older items.

It's no good detecting a productive field if you are missing stuff because you are moving too fast and swinging your detector like a pendulum.....you'd be surprised how many do this!

douglas1
Rally attendee

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 10:37:36 AM »

Chef Geoff,    Im not gonna pretend i covered every blade of grass in 8 hrs  :)But i thought i did a generous sample of each field,maybe im too impatient,but i dont think honestly think that ive got the patience to do it as you suggest. I guess the way you describe it is,indeed, REAL metal detecting,whereas maybe Im only an amatuer "playing" at it and I dont think i can deny that.I guess nothing worth while comes easy and maybe ill have to rethink my tactics somewhat and take a bit more time and detect with my fingerscrossed. Thanks for advice from you all ,its appreciated.
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 02:08:50 PM »

Alright Doug
At the of the day its all down to what you want  out of detecting. I ve had some great days out just mountain walking, I ve taken my fast detector out and if I find, I find. If I'm going out particularly to look for history then then I take my slow but deep detector  and change the pattern on how I detect......slow and methodical. Both different hobbies in my opinion but I enjoy them non the less Wink

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
alun

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 05:29:55 PM »

Dont get down hearted Douglas, we have all been there.
I am a newbie and yes i blanked out many times. But by listening to sound advice and learning my detector the finds slowly came. I am still on a uphill learning curve but loving it. The areas i have gone for now are inland, both ploughed and virgin. Frustrating, but when you find your first thats when you know your on your way.
Good luck buddy

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
douglas1
Rally attendee

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 06:59:25 PM »

Not so much downhearted, Undecided I prob expected too much to begin with I suppose.But I remember thinking mid way through sunday ,what am i doing here? Grin There I was on this farm,a pretty bleak ,ungodly place which led down to the beach....between pontlyffni and trevor ,if anyone knows the place.And the thoughts that went through my head were thus.....Why would anyone in their right mind,other than the farmer,walk through here...so ok SOMEBODY,SOMETIME no doubt did ,but I doubt many,and Im depending on one of the few visitors actually dropping something :-\The odds werent very good..then of course Id need to find the spot where one of the few actually dropped something......if indeed they did ...the more factors that are brought into play,the greater the odds increase.I doubt the bloody farmer would drop anything ,they are notoriously tight Grin....Ok ,then one might say "aaah yes but you dont know what this place was used for,or who visited it ,say 500-1000 years ago" Which is quite true ,but its such a bleak place one might wonder if anyone other than a refugee from justice would purposefully seek out such a forlorn and desolate place. Maybe Joseph of Arimathea might have passed through on his pilgramage to Glastonbury,or even Gerralt of Wales,,again I have no way of knowing for sure,but somehow doubt it.A roman military encampment maybe? Again possible.....I mean ,true theres no reason why they couldnt  have stayed for a night,but then no reason why they should have either.,no strategic importance that I could see ::)But looking back to when I first asked the farmer for permission,Ithought Irecognised a suppressed grin on his face,A kind of "another bloody idiot" grin ya know.....added to that he gave in too easily Grin no hint of "well I dont know really,lots of valuable stuff under the ground hereabouts ya know" no resistance to my request at all.....perhaps I should have known better lol.........My tactics are gonna change from now on.....Ive got a Beefeaters suit and am going to smuggle myself into the tower of london.....Under the cover of darkness with my brand new Garrett top of the range pro pointer with handy flashlight utility and a friends jcb Ill be sure to find something.....saxon crowns by the dozen,guineas by the 100,maybe even whats left of sir walter raleighs head......watch this space.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 07:15:15 PM »

Douglas just bear in mind that before the stone walls were investigated at Caerleon nobody knew the Romans had even been there.
And the Farmer in Stafford who said 'Yes go ahead, but you wont find anything, other detectorists have been there and found nothing.'

Till it's found it stays lost. Go boy go.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 07:21:25 PM »

Douglas, without giving too much away , what area is the farm and is it upland or lowland?

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
douglas1
Rally attendee

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 07:53:42 PM »

Hi tafflaff    its ok ,no secret lol....the farm is between pontlyffni and aberdesach on pwhelli road gwynedd  few miles from trevor.....its lowland i guess ,the farm backs on to pebble /shingle beach...if your from that way ive no doubt hell let you on.........i certainly wont be going back there Grin..Im taking break from it completely for few months at least hopefully....Ill sit back then and decide if i want to continue,luckily I bought Garret md and pointer so apparently theuy keep their price ,so we will see.....this is second time ive packed in within a fortnight  ::)anyway it doesnt stop me from looking in here to see whats going on........if you want more detailed instructions how to get there let me know.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal