Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: older finds  (Read 6610 times)
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 07:58:26 PM »

great news doug , im up that way in august on holidays , if you dont want it send me the guys details , and i will give it a swing  Wink Wink Wink

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 08:32:06 PM »

Theres so many reasons why it can be desolate, we've come across lovely rolling fields in the past on rallies, only to find out that they were indeed forested for centuries. Chef will give you the worm activity info, but unless the ground is disturbed within the last century or so or unless theres erosion or land sliding then the finds are going to be deep deep deep. Also location is king and casual losses can actually be dropped anywhere, I can guarantee you. If went detecting on a 5 acre field in the Rhondda and you went on the same size field in the Polden hills area only one of us would be coming away with a Roman coin  Smiley

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
douglas1
Rally attendee

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 09:54:42 PM »

Well tafflaff,
    Aguarrantee is a fine thing,easily imagined and given,but not always fullfillable ;DBut that aside, deep,deep deep ,to me would seem to mean 2 feet,3 feet  6 feet or perhaps more. Well a roman coin ,to me, wouldnt be worth that much digging anyway.One has to have a sense of proportion ,otherwise every metal detector would consider a JCB as an essential piece of equipment. Grin. It wasnt so much a desire for a roman coin that triggered my initial question( though i guess it would be nice to find anything of a distant age) but more a difficulty in believing that any detectorist could go out and find regularly saxon crowns,brooches and artifacts of that kind,seemingly almost at will,UNLESS they were either detecting at known archeological sites,monuments  or whatever illegally ,or by virtue of being a member of the  archeologist fraternity,which may or may not give them access to such sites legally OR had access to sites unknown to 99% of others,and  which would surely become sites of archeological interest,and therefore coming under government rules and regulations purely because of the very finds made there.My post was both an observation and a question.    By the way I own over 300 coins( roman)  No I didnt dig them up..I bought them through the years, Shocked mostly from a dealer in carlisle I knew/know personally.
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 12:27:06 AM »

Douglas a lot of the fun of metal detecting is in the "searching"
not only the" finding", I've yet to find anything older than a viccy sovereign,
but the enjoyment for me is everytime I go out I don't know what I'm
going to find ,If anything, everybody has a blank day. Anybody can buy coins
but not everybody can find them. I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here but I don't think that ANYBODY on D W detects illegal and neither would we condone it. keep at it

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
carling

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 12:12:37 PM »

of course some people in the detecting fraternity detect illegally and seem as this site reports its 1 of the busiest in europe for detecting, i would really really be surprised if were all on here whiter that white,,, as for condoning it ,, i dont  but you cant do anything about it,, so might as well ignore it. ,,, just a little note   so far this week ive heard reports of nighthawking taking place at brecon and hay,,, {must be immigrants Grin Grin
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 12:19:57 PM by carling » Logged
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 12:34:34 PM »

Now Carling that sort of attitude is will guarantee you a place in Polish history. Roll Eyes
Of course we can do something about it. If you know someone who is where they shouldn't be then kiss and tell.
There are a lot of us who would dearly love to detect around, say, Caerleon but we know we can't so we live with it. So should every body.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
carling

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 12:44:49 PM »

i don,t know whos doing it but oviously its more than 1 person ,, must be pretty busy,, all im hearing is people being where they shouldent and when someone shouts to em they leg it,, now im not prepared to sit in a hedge all night long waiting for em to come or not , only to be smacked round the head with a spade repetadly by 3-4 blokes,, scheduled sites are scheduled for a reason ,, nobody sopposed to be tectin there at all,do i have a right to sit in a farmers hedge on a scheduled site mmm?   im sure most of us on this site has heard of people detecting where they shouldent,, and actually how many people get done for it {a very tiny proportion},,, nighthawking has gone underground. 
Mark

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 12:45:30 PM »

I wouldn't be so naive Dryland, three members of this forum were caught trespassing on one of my permissions this Sunday gone, (one of which is a notorious nighthawk) and all of which are regular DW rally goers.  Goes to show that all are certainly not whiter than white on DW.  

Omnia explorate; meliora retinete (BTKG)
carling

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 12:58:27 PM »

yep i aint surprised at all,, since losing my full time detecting partner {who was also my transport} someone suggested that i put up a post advertising for a  detecting partner, now i do have lots of land but the point is its who to trust ,, so ive come to the point where i aint tectin no more beacuse i cant get to my sites,,, i did post a request on another forum many months ago for a tectin partner  and i did have a couple of replys only then to get mail stating for me to be carefull as some of the guys that responded were known nighthawks. 
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 04:31:49 PM »

I wouldn't be so naive Dryland, three members of this forum were caught trespassing on one of my permissions this Sunday gone, (one of which is a notorious nighthawk) and all of which are regular DW rally goers.  Goes to show that all are certainly not whiter than white on DW.  

name and shame then mark

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Mark

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 04:57:54 PM »

I would like to Mike but I will refrain from doing so;  for now, suffice to say that when challenged, one walked off, one feebly tried to say he thought the farm was owned by a different farmer, and the night hawk, in his own words said "I don't give a F@^k".  I am discussing with the farmer/landowner what action to take next, but I think it goes without saying that I don't feel comfortable attending DW rallies if these unsavory characters are also in attendance. 

Omnia explorate; meliora retinete (BTKG)
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 11:51:22 PM »

well Carling and Mark maybe I was being naive and what I should
have said is MOST people , not  ANYBODY.

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal