Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Floating gold: Dog walker finds strange-smelling yellow rock on beach £100k  (Read 1912 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: January 31, 2013, 03:43:33 PM »

It may look like a dirty yellow rock - but this 'stone' could be a piece of whale sick worth £100,000.

When Ken Wilman's dog Madge dug up the 'horrible' smelling object during a walk on Morecambe beach, he dragged her away.

But when he got home, the intrigued Lancashire walker looked up the mysterious find online.
He was amazed to learn that the misshapen rock is probably a piece of rare and valuable sperm whale vomit nicknamed 'floating gold'.

Mystery: Ken Wilman and his dog with the strange yellow rock they uncovered on Morecambe beach
Ambergris, or 'grey amber', is used in perfumes such as Chanel No. 5 to amplify the scent.
While the vomit is said to smell like old wood or fungus, it acts as a vital stabiliser when combined with other ingredients

A French dealer has now offered Mr Wilman 50,000 euros if the 3kg lump turns out to be ambergris - but it could be worth twice as much.
Mr Wilman's boxer Madge found the lump while they were out walking near The Battery.

Mr Wilman, from Morecambe, said: 'It was like walking on the beach and finding a bag of £50,000 in cash, 'I didn't actually realise what it was at first, I couldn't understand why Madge was so interested in it.
'It smelled horrible.

'I left it, came back home and looked it up on the internet. When I saw how much it could be worth, I went back to the beach and grabbed it.'
Mr Wilman, who is unemployed after hurting his back in a motorbike accident, now plans to send a small sample of his discovery to France to have it checked.

Valuable: The rare and strange-smelling lump of vomit could be worth up to £100,000
'If he verifies it, it could be like winning the Lottery,' he said.
Chris Hill, curator at the Aquarium of the Lakes in Cumbria, said: 'It's quite a find.
'How much it's worth will depend on how fresh it is, but it's potentially $180,000.
'There are places in Europe that will buy it from you. They will age it, like a fine wine, and then test it for perfume.'
Ambergris is the intestinal slurry of sperm whales, which they eject into the ocean, usually when they have a stomach or throat problem.

It can then float around undiscovered for years in the water, where it hardens and develops its distinctive odour.

Waste not, want not: Ambergris is the intestinal slurry of sperm whales, which they eject into the sea when ill
Professor Callum Roberts, a marine biologist from the University of York, told Radio 4's Today programme that the 'sick' is, in fact, more like excrement.
'It is extraordinary valuable because it is the perfect stabiliser for perfume,' he said. 'All sorts of things have been mistaken for ambergris - dog poo, dead animals...

'You mix it with perfume. It doesn't have much smell of its own - it smells a bit like fungus or old wood - but it amplifies scents around it.
'It generally appears in small lumps, about fist or football size, but pieces of up to 200 kilos have been found.

'Not all sperm whales produce it,' he added.
In 2006 a couple walking on an Australian beach found a 32-pound chunk of ambergris, which netted them $295,000.

* article-0-173F32E6000005DC-38_634x473.jpg (55.04 KB, 634x473 - viewed 1855 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
JBM

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 03:54:43 PM »

Having watched this story on the TV and the astounding value of the find a couple of thoughts crossed my mind.

Who owns the beach.?

Who owns the section of beach that it was found bearing in mind the tidal range..? Roll Eyes  Jerry.
troutmasterfunk

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 04:27:06 PM »

Might leave detecter in car n just walk the dog lol...
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 12:10:08 AM »

Ok, I'm off to make some whales very very sick  Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 04:48:25 AM »

easy to make wales sick,put the rugby on the telly  Tongue
 rather find a sperm wales vomit than a vomit wales sperm Shocked
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 05:38:07 AM by dances with badgers » Logged

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal