Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just what the doctor hoarded! Medic finds Civil War coins worth £51,000  (Read 1251 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: January 28, 2013, 05:36:41 PM »

I know I posted this story when it was fresh off the press, but not seen this photo or version of events before. We can but dream . . .

By Mark Lister PUBLISHED: 28 March 2012

As he explored his own back garden, a scrap of pottery protruding from the dirt caught Dr Owen Johnson's eye.

When the hospital worker tried to dig it out, it cracked open - spilling out a stream of gold and silver coins 'like a slot machine'.

Dr Johnson, 53, was inspecting a hole dug by builders at his home, in the village of High Ackworth, near Pontefract, West Yorkshire.

The haul of Civil War currency could be worth as much as £51,000 - but the doctor has had to hand it all in to the Government.

Just under 600 coins dating from around the 1640s were found, as well as a stunning gold ring bearing the romantic inscription 'When this you see, remember me'.

Studies showed the find, with individual coins to the value of just over £85, was located near what looked like an old post, and could have been stashed underground by a Royalist who feared it would be looted by Roundhead troops.

Token of love: The gold ring found among the hoard bears the romantic inscription 'When you see this, remember me'

Speaking outside Wakefield Coroner’s Court, where an treasure trove inquest ruled the find belongs to the state, Dr Johnson said he had taken the day off from Pinderfields Hospital when he made the amazing discovery last July.

Dr Johnson, who lives with wife Barbara, 55, and daughters Pippa, 22, Tembe, 21, and Lucy, 17, said: 'At first I thought the coins were some sort of toy, then we started having a closer look at them. The gold ones looked like they had just come out of a museum, and the ring is beautiful.

'It was then we started to realise this was something significant. It was very exciting and we just stood there for a long time looking at it.'

Council bosses in Wakefield are now hoping they can secure the historic hoard for display at Pontefract Museum.

Dr Johnson said: 'Pontefract Museum is very interesting but it could do with some highlights and this would definitely be a highlight, which would be good because Pontefract’s history is sometimes undervalued.'

Lisa Dodd, Wakefield Council’s service director for sport and culture, added: 'We believe these items have been in our district since the 1600s, making them a real part of this district’s rich history.

'It would be a great shame to not do all we can to try and keep the treasure in its rightful home for future generations to enjoy.

'The Wakefield district has a superb, nationally renowned heritage and Pontefract Museum would be a fitting home for the treasure.

'It would be yet another major attraction for visitors and contribute directly to the rich history of the area. It would also support the new Pontefract Castle development.'

The council will now wait for a valuation, after which it will be decided whether Dr Johnson will get any compensation. The hoard is more than 300 years old and so is covered by the Treasure Act of 1996.

* article-2121610-125E912A000005DC-217_634x804.jpg (95.58 KB, 634x804 - viewed 546 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal