Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hooked already after one outing  (Read 2355 times)
TJ

« on: January 26, 2013, 04:57:23 PM »

Hi all ,
Only started detecting in December with my 2nd hand Garrett ace 250.
First outing on a sunny fresh morning down Horton found a crusty old two pence piece on the beach and lots of iron. Cry
After many holes dug and nothing found  i decided to indulge in a Garrett  pro pointer  Grin my second outing on the beach delivered many budweiser tops and a £1 coin , I decided to invest my first coin found and bought a lucky dip on the National Lottery  Shocked and yes , have a guess  Shocked Shocked i only got one number  Angry
Best thing i ever bought was the propointer, makes life so easy when looking for the target.

After getting poor results on wet sand i decided to upgrade my MD and bought myself a Garrett AT Pro International  Grin Grin
Today was my first  day out beach detecting with my AT Pro.  Grin Grin
I started at midday when the tide was full out Decided to head way out to the low tide edge, as recommended set the MD Iron discrim 35 automatic GB in pro mode zero sensitivity one bar down
Had  a few false markers but not many targets found  but only managed a ringpull in wet wet sand . Decided to head back to the marked edge of high tide and began getting lots of coins around high water mark , found mainly current copper coins , an old ten pence piece and a few euros and also someones front door key and fob.
Overall still getting use to the settings and noises
but well pleased.
I was wondering what part of beach detecting  is best suited for finds, is it best at the high tide waters edge or in the soft sand and dunes.

Garrett AT Pro International
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 06:14:16 PM »

I read in one article that mid way between the two is always best as this part is renewed with every tide and I have found bits and bobs at this level . But it mostly depends on the depth of sand. If the sand is high you're unlikely to find anything.
Look out for low spots. I took the dogs to the beach this morning and thought 'waste of time' but walking along I noticed a section where the sand seemed to undulate. When I got closer I could see why. There is a small run-off stream that comes onto the beach and with all the snow melt and rain over the last few days this is now a raging torrent. Powerfull enough to have washed a huge amount of sand down into the sea.
This would have been a good place to search as the pebbles and clay were exposed either side of the stream. Always look for hard pack, small pebble deposits and low spots.
Mostly it's all down to luck and experience. Watch your local beach and keep a note of levels and were you find stuff.  HH

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
anthonyjay

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 06:32:28 PM »

I started my detecting days searching beaches and learned to look for areas where 'black sand' was showing, an indication of mineralisation. Another thing to check is if there has been an 'off-shore' wind with a rough sea, it has a tendancy to 'pull' sand away from the beach exposing the hard core below where any older losses will have lodged. As Val says, new tides produce new finds. Good hunting to you.
TJ

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 06:39:01 PM »

Thanks Val,
What i have found is that every day  out Metal Detecting  is a learning curve
and hopefully I have lots of curves  left in me .

It is a fascinating hobby and great exercise as well.
Happy Hunting

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 08:35:00 PM »

All the above plus differing size finds will be at different points between LMT and HMT, the sea is great at filtering finds by size in the same way it does with pebbles.
TJ

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 10:03:32 PM »

Heavy rain and wind, Thunder and lightening tonight
  and a full moon,
hope to hit the beach tomorrow morning and hopefully find some more  goodies  Grin
Thank god my MD is waterproof (Garrett AT Pro)
All weather detecting , cant wait 

Mick

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 10:10:09 PM »

hope to hit the beach tomorrow morning and hopefully find some more  goodies  Grin

Which one?

dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 05:45:43 AM »

good stuff all over the beaches at right time

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
mucker

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 05:51:59 PM »

Never one visit is the same
Good luck Wink

It's an uphill struggle but i'm with you all the way

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal