Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else had problem with their Garrett Probe?  (Read 8491 times)
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« on: January 13, 2013, 10:48:05 PM »

Hi All

I've noticed in the last few outings that my Garrett probe is on the blink - don't know whether it is just the damp all the time, but it seems to think everything in the ground is a signal, so it's become pretty useless.

Anyone else with the same problem / ideas on how to fix it (apart from using a large mallet)?

regards

probono
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 05:24:08 AM »

Could it be the ground and not the probe by any chance Huh........we done a field and no matter where you placed the probe , it went off.....it was too mineralised

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
WeCan-Octavian
Superhero Member

''On it like Sonic''

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 07:17:15 AM »

I had this problem a few weeks back, so i took it to bits and cleaned it out, pcb etc  i will say its not easy as you can break the switch if your not careful. I personally think t.at moisture gets in through the speaker port and switch. So a good internal clean and a piece of bike innertube over the speaker port and switch and its been fine since.

Nick

''By order of the long haired general'' I now use a Minelab !!!!!
davtec (dave)

davtec

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 07:59:00 AM »

wd40 Shocked Shocked

A wise man changes his mind: a fool never will.
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 08:56:33 AM »

Had exactly the same problem a few months back. The probe sounds off wherever you put it in the hole
making pretty much useless. Don't know how old your Garrett is but I sent mine back to where I purchased it
and told them that there was a problem. They sent me a new one which was doing exactly the same. I asked
the distributors if there was a bad batch around but they said no! There are too many instances of this very same
problem for it to be an isolated piece of equipment.
Try sending back and asking the same question.

On the water ingress problem. I use 'Self Annealing Tape' from your local electrical supplier. Fantastic stuff as when you apply
this, it has an elasticated consistency which binds as you apply. It will NEVER come off. You have to remove it with a knife.
I've attached some shock cord (found in tent poles) to my Garrett with this tape. Now I never leave it behind. The tape covers the
speaker as well, with virtually no loss of sound level.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 09:46:48 AM »

yes they are too expensive Smiley

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 10:24:40 AM »

Could it be the ground and not the probe by any chance Huh........we done a field and no matter where you placed the probe , it went off.....it was too mineralised

I don't think it is the field - I've been going there for a few years, and it has only just started being a problem. I thought at first I might have just hit a nail infested part of the field, but it was everywhere I looked.

If I switched it on in the hole, touching an area that I knew wasn't the part with the find in, it worked much better.

I don't know where it came from originally, as I was given it (new) by someone.

Thanks for the 'cleaning' advice - maybe some moisture has got inside it through the useless 'on off switch' cover.
adesace

If I was a rich man

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 10:39:36 PM »

Had mine new for xmas and I used it first time on the Last DW rally. Mine kept on going off and was very disapointed with it. So is it a fault then you reckon.My friend had one and his probe didn't go off like mine.

Ade
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 10:50:12 PM »

This may sound stupid but check the battery first not only is the voltage critical but also the size, believe it or not batteries swell as they age and this slight difference can cause compression of the windings just enough to trigger a response.
Try just unscrewing the cap by one turn and see if it still does it.
Also I know this may sound obvious, a little like the "steel toecaps" effect a friend of mine had the same thing happen with his new probe, until I pointed out he wore a ring and this was acting a little like placing a coin against the probe, it gives it a hair trigger.
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 10:54:32 PM »

sometimes i get the same with mine mate..i turn it on and off..on and off and it seems to settele itself..

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
geordiefred

Bristol

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 01:09:18 AM »

They also give a signal when pressed into hard ground turning off and on sometimes works, or as Geoff said slacken it off a turn. They have security probe holders with the rubber o rings, on flea bay which might make a difference.

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"
 You have to grow old, but growing up is entirely optional
woodbob123

vintage and home made

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 09:35:12 AM »

It seem's the cause may be damp especially if you wash the dirt off after use. I have removed the rubber switch cover and battery cover and hung probe in front of a fan overnight, now and then given it a blast from a hairdryer on low, this seems to have solved problem but time will tell.  Switch cover will push off, which is where the moisture will get in,  there does not seem to be a good seal especially when used with wet gloves in a wet field and we have had plenty of wet.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 10:54:54 AM »

This may sound stupid but check the battery first not only is the voltage critical but also the size, believe it or not batteries swell as they age and this slight difference can cause compression of the windings just enough to trigger a response.
Try just unscrewing the cap by one turn and see if it still does it.
Also I know this may sound obvious, a little like the "steel toecaps" effect a friend of mine had the same thing happen with his new probe, until I pointed out he wore a ring and this was acting a little like placing a coin against the probe, it gives it a hair trigger.

that's why I detect without my wedding ring on! Smiley

It wasn't that - this is something that has happened recently

I'll try the battery thing - I use rechargables in mine - perhaps the voltage has dropped a bit too much now.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 10:56:49 AM »

It seem's the cause may be damp especially if you wash the dirt off after use. I have removed the rubber switch cover and battery cover and hung probe in front of a fan overnight, now and then given it a blast from a hairdryer on low, this seems to have solved problem but time will tell.  Switch cover will push off, which is where the moisture will get in,  there does not seem to be a good seal especially when used with wet gloves in a wet field and we have had plenty of wet.

Hi Bob

took mine apart yesterday and there was quite a lot of moisture on the electronics. Only problem now is that the 'coil' part of it keeps getting in the way when I try and put it back together so that the little on/off light doesn't come through its hole. I've also now broken one of the wires on it, but a bit of solder will sort it out....grrr
woodbob123

vintage and home made

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 11:56:50 AM »

will I see it tomorrow?  On sunday mine would not work at all all it would do was sound off yesterday dried it as above post today back to normal switched it on off 20+ times and working as it should left it on for an hour then on and off another 20+ times. working as it should. Damp is the problem just remove switch cover and dry as I described it takes a long time but saves lot's of grrr's. Later I will run some test's to see how low battery voltage has to go before it causes problems.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal