Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Aaron Hughes finds bomb at Gilfach with metal detector gift  (Read 6510 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: January 07, 2013, 02:37:15 PM »

A man using a metal detector he was given for Christmas has unearthed a World War II bomb on a nature reserve.

It was only the second time builder Aaron Hughes, 26, had used the gift from his father, Brian, who was with him at Gilfach, near Rhayader, along with his girlfriend Charlotte Croudace.

Police cordoned off the area and called in a bomb disposal team from Hereford.

Mr Hughes joked that the bomb was "nice to find," but he would have rather have discovered a pot of gold.

We weren't sure whether or not to phone the police because 999 is only for emergencies - but this was sort of an emergency”

It is understood the device was a mortar bomb, but why it was buried on a nature reserve is a mystery.

The trio were walking along a path on the reserve when they made the discovery.

"It was the first time I'd properly used the metal detector," Mr Hughes said.

"I had been out on New Year's Day and I'd found a few coins near a playground - a few coppers and a couple of pound coins.

Aaron Hughes received the metal detector from his father Brian "The following day on the Gilfach reserve we'd only been there 10 minutes when the detector started beeping.

"I thought I'd discovered a can or a metal lid. I never imagined I would find a bomb.

"I scratched down into the ground and saw the tip of the what we now know is a bomb.

"I wasn't sure what it was to start with, so I started digging down with a spade and flicked it out of the ground and onto the grass. It was about 2-3in (5-7cm) deep.

"We were shocked because it was pretty obviously a bomb.

"We weren't sure whether or not to phone the police because 999 is only for emergencies - but this was sort of an emergency.

"It was a nice thing to find, but I obviously would have rather have found a big pot of gold."

* _65111945_aaron4.jpg (87.19 KB, 624x351 - viewed 3473 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 03:45:35 PM »

lol -- someone ought to put him right re permissions, insurance, recording and expectations.! 

oh .. and DW of course!  Grin Grin Grin

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 04:05:10 PM »

Well I was going to  say   'spot the mistake'  but Alan beat me to it.  What was he doing on a Nature reserve in the first place.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 04:28:36 PM »

Yes agreed, but he is talking as a beginner so obviously is making rookie mistakes. I suppose it comes down to not knowing the law of the land. This is a problem when starting many hobbies, he just needs to be put on the correct track.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 04:33:15 PM »

lol -- someone ought to put him right re permissions, insurance, recording and expectations.! 

oh .. and DW of course!  Grin Grin Grin

You want him to take the bomb to his FLO for recording Huh

Insurance won't do him any good if it explodes!  Grin

troutmasterfunk

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 08:26:45 PM »

I found a mortar on the beach at pendine I was fishing not detecting before I get an ear bashing for detecting on a closed beach..
Thought I would dig some lug and hit it with my fork..
Got it out on beach and got Told t "PUT IT BACK!!!" Lol
One phone call and two blokes from the mod range came they detonated it up beach..
We went home sharpish lol
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 11:00:21 AM »

that look like the incendiary bombs we get on the mountain by us that missed swansea in the air raids,dont touch them ,very unstable,found one as kid while back and old bill went bananas when i turned up with it in a plastic bag .good fun if you lob them on a bonfire though Roll Eyes

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal