Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Goodbye my Queen  (Read 3480 times)
WeCan-Octavian
Superhero Member

''On it like Sonic''

« on: December 22, 2012, 11:57:42 AM »

Well after much thought and months of enjoyment the Queen has gone!! It was many months ago back in march on a cold wet day and only two months into the hobby that i discovered what had to be my most valuable find of the year in the form of an 1860 Queen Victoria half sovereign, i cant express the joy i had in finding it and the enjoyment ive had looking at it. And after lots of thought decided it was time to let go and give it to (in my mind the rightful owner ) Mr farmer!! some may say im mad but i believe in Karma, i dont class myself as a greedy person or a treasure hunter just a normal bloke enjoying a hobby that can produce some wonderful items that would have been otherwise lost forever, anyway there will be plenty more gold to come  lol  Grin

Nick

* 18th march 3.jpg (78.8 KB, 960x720 - viewed 505 times.)

* 18th march 2.jpg (27.52 KB, 960x720 - viewed 510 times.)

* VICTORIA HALF SOVERIEGN REVERSE.jpg (59.53 KB, 546x281 - viewed 499 times.)

* sovereign.jpg (64.17 KB, 502x698 - viewed 541 times.)

''By order of the long haired general'' I now use a Minelab !!!!!
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 12:04:28 PM »

Welldone mate Im sure it was a hard decision to make.

cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 10:46:30 PM »

It was a good thing you have done. I myself have also given away a half soveriegn to a farmer. Like yourself I gave it in a presentation case. I have never regretted it as he is one of my best farmer's and deserved something decent. I feel all responsible detectorists should part with some of their better finds and not just the run of the mill. I did feel pleased with myself having given it to him as well. Without the goodwill of farmers we would not be able to participate in our great hobby. Goodwill works both ways. 

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 10:53:38 PM »

thats life bud.i regret selling a lot of my rings but the mortgage wont pay itself lol Wink

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
WeCan-Octavian
Superhero Member

''On it like Sonic''

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 08:43:25 AM »

It was a good thing you have done. I myself have also given away a half soveriegn to a farmer. Like yourself I gave it in a presentation case. I have never regretted it as he is one of my best farmer's and deserved something decent. I feel all responsible detectorists should part with some of their better finds and not just the run of the mill. I did feel pleased with myself having given it to him as well. Without the goodwill of farmers we would not be able to participate in our great hobby. Goodwill works both ways. 

I see it as a token of honesty and respect for been given the permission, still gutted though lmao  Grin Grin Grin Grin

anthonyjay

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 06:37:11 PM »

Well done WeCan-Octavian, I give most of my finds to the land owner/farmer these days, hammies and all. Personnaly I prefer a Tikka Masala to a Karma. Best wishes to you
WeCan-Octavian
Superhero Member

''On it like Sonic''

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 07:01:30 PM »

Thanks for the replies , i probably would give my finds voyage farmer but i never see
Him ! He doesn't show much interest when i do tell/show him. Suppose he would be interested if i found a hoard of gold lol

welshjohn

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 07:44:18 PM »

Well done M8, nice find and great gesture.  I've started doing similar recently.  I have a farm where other detectorists have been before.  The farmer has deep ploughed the fields for the first time in years.  First field I had a Charles 1st shilling, a silver plated livery button from the 1820s, a William love token and a Viccy sixpence.  I showed them at club then returned to the farmer.

He said that previous detectorists had given him pennies and musket balls.  I cringed at what they had possibly found and kept.  I gave him the four silver finds I made recently; he was delighted.  I said that I am hopeful that there is a bit of gold out there somewhere.

He is ploughing the feels deeper again this year.  He trusts me to show him my finds and I now have sole detecting permission on his farm.  Pays to be open, honest and giving.

John
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 09:42:14 PM »

I have some farms that haven't really produced. It's a shame because the farmer's are some of the best and I just want to find something nice to give to them. Always the way isn't it!

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
alun

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 08:29:22 AM »

Great gesture and I am sure you will get more gold. I gave a farmer a really unusual old brass door knocker, and now every time I call into the farm the knocker is hanging on the door to greet me lol.
I have only done one field and got around 1500 acres to swing on,  Grin
Well done buddy.

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: