Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: GETTING PERMISSION TO DETE£CT  (Read 5740 times)
glynkid

« on: January 04, 2013, 08:42:55 PM »

I recently posted on getting permission to detect and thanks to those who replied Well here we go
From the start we all want to find historical  items so step one
Learn when crops are havested and     [planted
next buy ordnance survey map of the area that you are  interested in  and learn how to read those maps
study them look for roman roads ...old buildings such as manor farm grange farm ect and look for well field millfields
halls churches especially near small villages
  take a note of the footpaths  especially if you have a few joininig in a field
look on your map for the farms near your chosen site
find the telephone number either on yel.com under farmers in <<SAY>>>>chester find your telephone number for your chosen farnm listed or a close farm if not listed HO HARM ASKING ANOTHER FARMER CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHO LIVES AT  SO AND SO FARM......>>>now ring your farmer to seek permission to detect

Ring the farm after 8---30 at night  introduce yourself

IE  Hello mr jones I am  Rob Jones  from Chester Iam phoning to ask you if  you can kindly permit 3 or 4 fully insured metal detectorists permission to metat detect on your farmland to search fro any lost coins or artifacts
we go on the fields do NO damage and if we get a good signal dig a small divet extract the find and stamp down the grass  on stubble fields fill in all holes and close all gates in fact leave the land as found we will let you know if we see any animals in distress  and will try to locate any lost machinery we will also give you a bottle of wine or a small payment for letting us go  IN MY CASE I DO AND TELL THE  FARMER Iraise money for hope house childrens hospice in shropshire we could donate to it and send or give you a receipt  last year Iraised 350 pounds
Mr farmer might say what if you find anything of value
Reply    if we find anything of gold silver or bronze or any item over three hundred years old we would like it to be reported with your permission to the local museumn or flo
EXPLAIN FLO TO THE FARMER   also if it comes under the trasure trove rules you will get half the value of the find

if you have ever had anything paid to you by treasure trove l mention I found a gold torc on Mr smiths farmn  near   byand he was     paid  150 pounds for it  I  WISH... Offer the farmer a bottle of wine if he will let you go or a small payment

the farmer may by now be weighing things up  he might already of =said no

If he says yes always be polite thank him and ask himand ask when you can go
if you get permission always show the farmer some of the finds thank him always be polite  now if you get that farm you can approach his neibour saying last week myself and two others were metal detecting on name the farmer
ask the new one if you can have permission go through the whole rig my role again if nessesery
GOOD LUCK  and please inform me if it works for you
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 08:50:46 PM by glynkid » Logged

glyn kid
glynkid

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 09:58:16 PM »

I WOULD LIKE TO ADD
Do  not go on sheduled sites   also  getting permission on  estates takes a different approach

if you want to know i will tell you how

glyn kid
carling

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 10:05:02 PM »

sorry but thats way to much faffing about,,,yes you ask permission,you dont have to learn what crops are planted and when {most tecies choose a piece of land beacuse its somewhere new and you never know what you may find???} yes be polite but dont mention money {unless the farmer brings up the conversation},{the farm that you did find something nice on might not want you telling his neighbours about how much he got etc},,yes of course look at the topography of the farm briefly  {before permission as it a great way to get intrest {ive noticed a cropmark,feature etc on your land etc} you can then have a more in depth look at whats about if he/she says yes                                                                                                                                                                       dont go there from day 1 hoping to get permission with any wine etc {build up a freindship ,not a bribe}                        i know we all have our techniques for obtaining land but farmers aint stupid ,,give em some credit ,,they know what your tectin for and if ya offer em a £1.00 or £100 they,lll say yay or nay depending on there nature.                                                                                                                                    
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 10:48:04 PM »

Yes I have to say that I'm with Carling on this one.
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 11:14:09 PM »

Also try and secure that all important written 50/50 agreement. You can then detect with peace of mind and do not need to worry should you find Treasure. Once you have got the nod, it is then worthwhile asking if a friend or partner can accompany you. By all means give them a bottle of wine but do so at Xmas

I believe that I have got permission on some 'no chance' farms through a bit of reverse physcology. I will intoduce myself and explain (if applicable) that I detect on their neighbours farms. I will then say something like....."I know the answer will probably be no, but could I detect on your farm" I have approached a few difficult ones like this, and believe I have been told yes because the farmers didn't want to be considered killjoys. How many of us all ready practice reverse physchology on our partners? Try it.

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 12:33:03 AM »

Well in 36 years I've never once mentioned a contract and never would, if there is no contract but permission has been granted then the law will split finds 50-50 with or without a contract,
I find with my farmers that if you start making things official they don't like it.
But I do agree that if you get one farm and then radiate out and use the last as a reference as in " hello, I got your name from "Jo Bloggs" I do some detecting on his land and he said you would be the man to talk to" etc etc.
Whiteduke

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 01:04:23 AM »

Well im siding with glynkid,it`s my hobby and im willing to pay for the privalage,ppl don`t do rally`s for free,
i dont expect them to, and organisers dont either,if i can afford to pay someone to pursue my hobby i will ,if i think
it`s worth it. Cool

alun

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 09:47:07 AM »

All good comments, and all valid. But my way is to ask politely and respect the landowner. Many ways to work out their mannerisms but apart from having the dreaded "Night Hawkers" being through their land, i have yet to fail to gain permission, and help the farmer with repairs to his machinery if needed. (Oops thats bribery, i am a mechanical engineer) ah well it works

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
galoshers

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 10:08:28 AM »

i think if he likes your face or otherwise may make his mind up ,if you have a smart dress and look respectable he will allow you after selling yourself as thats whats involved .it has to be said theres some dodgy herberts in this hobby with tatts and scruffy looking characters that you wouldnt want hanging around ,they could appear to be threatening to a humble farm owner .
icedout84

garrett ace 250

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 10:51:41 AM »

I'm taking note of the do' s and donts of gaining permission, I wouldn't mind giving a gift ( bottle or something)  at Xmas or every now and again but farmer permitting I would not like to pay every time to go onto the field, it's like fishing pop down the fishing shop spend 75 pence on a small bag of maggots then go to the canal for a happy days free fishing, point being you can make a hobby as cheap or as dear as you want it.
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 11:40:39 AM »

i find farmers will either say yes or no immediately , so all the waffling on goes right out the window if its a no , farmers are working men / women and a handshake is a done deal for such people , mentioning the farm next door or , im a friend of mr jones and he gave me your number works , if you come with a recomendation from the farmers mate its worth its weight in gold , i never phone just go for it , farmers like to meet and see what you look like , imagine getting permission over the phone , turning up to the farm with multiple face earrings and tatoos all over you , the farmer would get his gun and probably set the dogs loose  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Bling (mark)

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 12:03:13 PM »

Can someone give some info please had new permission this morning then found out he's only renting the land off a local farmer . should I carry on detecting or visit the land owner  don't know what to do i could  lose permission iv been wanting this farm for ages . Good news he does have his own farm I can use in 1 hour drive away so happy days.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:31:27 PM by Bling (mark) » Logged

Soveriegn xs2 pro / goldmaxx power v4 /makro racer
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 01:08:21 PM »

go for it , the tenant has given you permission to detect thats good enough for me , if you approach the owner he might have a different view on things , its unlikely you will ever meet the owner on the fields as he is not farming it and probably lives in a huge villa in spain anyway  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Whiteduke

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 01:14:35 PM »

Not sure thats the right advice,it could all go tits up for the tennant farmer,should the land owner find out.
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 01:19:04 PM »

im sure the tenant has a long term contract with the owner and wont get thrown out , if in doubt as the tenant what the owners views are on detecting on his land

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal