Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Listed Sites.  (Read 2459 times)
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« on: January 02, 2013, 03:02:48 PM »

First things first happy New Year to one and all and here’s hoping we have lots of special finds on show Wink Oh! And for goodness sake for Mother Nature to shift some of this sand piled on the beaches. Sad
Here’s a question for those in the know. Just how close can you detect  to a listed archaeological site! if one field is scheduled? can you detect in the field next to it or is there a specific distance you need to be from it also can you still get a list of scheduled sites I know many years ago you could by a book published by historic monuments that listed such sites, before any one wonders no I am not about to break the law just curious.
Zeus (Joel)
Restricted Member

Garrett Euro Ace

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 03:23:24 PM »

100yds as far as i know

2013 Finds

6 hammered
0 gold
0 Roman
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 04:09:09 PM »

If the field is listed, thats easy as the field boundary will be the scheduling. So all surrounding fields are ok to detect. Other than that if the scheduling is part of a field I tend to stay clear of that field to err on the safe side.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 04:11:31 PM »

As far as I know, there should be an area that is scheduled. Anywhere outside of that area is not scheduled and if you have permission that should be ok.

I have one field with a scheduled monument in it. The farmer showed me his map of the scheduled area, although I stay well away from it - I don't want to accidently put my foot over the line.

I have another site where there is a roman fort. In this case half the field is scheduled. In this case the landowner has shown me which fields I can detect in - for this one, even though only half the field is scheduled, I don't detect in it at all.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 04:20:05 PM »

Happy New Year Paul
The farmer will have a detailed map showing the scheduling. As Probono has said there's a line, what's in is in and what's out is out, there are no grey areas leading up to a site.
carling

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 04:25:57 PM »

when i asked the local  flo about distance from a scheduled site they said they {think} its 30 metres?.
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 04:52:43 PM »

I was told 30 meters by my local flo.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 07:04:23 PM »

I think they are quite rightly giving advice rather than stating a fact the 1979 act that applies to scheduled sites states that it's an offence to use a metal detector "ON" a scheduled site or Archaeologically sensitive area but makes no mention of a fixed area surrounding it.
It does say that there is provision for an exclusion area around a monument but this is on a case by case basis and is to protect the monument itself ie from tree roots etc.
So ask to see the scheduling and use a bit of common sense.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 07:15:28 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
jelida
Rally attendee

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 07:30:18 PM »

Chef is right;  I emailed CADW for a map of the scheduled area of  a site on one of the farms I hunt and they sent the plan with boundary marked in red. Basically it is illegal to detect within the scheduled area, and is OK outside, but I always err on the safe side. The scheduled area is unlikely to be obvious on the ground, and will probably be greater than any visible earthworks. The farmer in this case said take no notice - but he can't give that permission, and is also liable for a fine if he allows detecting (or other damage) on a scheduled site.

Jerry
jelida
Rally attendee

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 07:33:47 PM »

And in Wales CADW will provide listings of scheduled sites on a county by county basis, free of charge. I suspect that English Heritage must do much the same.

Jerry
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 01:51:03 PM »

First things first happy New Year to one and all and here’s hoping we have lots of special finds on show Wink Oh! And for goodness sake for Mother Nature to shift some of this sand piled on the beaches. Sad
Here’s a question for those in the know. Just how close can you detect  to a listed archaeological site! if one field is scheduled? can you detect in the field next to it or is there a specific distance you need to be from it also can you still get a list of scheduled sites I know many years ago you could by a book published by historic monuments that listed such sites, before any one wonders no I am not about to break the law just curious.

[/quoteThanks for all your interesting comments regards Paul. Wink Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal