Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Human bone or not.  (Read 9945 times)
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 08:10:49 PM »

If i found a gold saxon hoard i would only be to happy to help the archeological dig to retrieve them

I would not want them missing any  Grin

Doc there are lots of people in the hobby that do not declare there finds let alone tell the farmer

They sell them.

Fact of life these people are in the hobby for how much money they can earn from it. 

Deus 2013

Hammies: 32
Saxon gilded saucer brooch 1
Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 08:20:19 PM »

If I found a site with a Saxon town on it of course I would keep it to myself as would 70% of people in the hobby would. you have already stated that sites of this importance would be scheduled and you would not be able to detect on it ever again.

why would you do that then , saxon coins / artifacts are rare valuable items  and should be shared with everyone , not stuffed into a private collection like yours , as you stated your not in it for the money and rarely sell finds

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
TheLoveDoc

Garret Ace 250 Minelab Safari

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 08:33:17 PM »

yes i agree ...im sure there are lots of people who dont tell the farmer. Does the farmer get to see the finds from the rallies ? Im only asking because I dont know, ive only been on 1 rally.

Ok being totally honest here, if there was a saxon town there i would'nt even know it but if i found bones then yes i would report it.

1 Gold ring - returned to owner.
1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 09:06:54 PM »

If I found a site with a Saxon town on it of course I would keep it to myself as would 70% of people in the hobby would. you have already stated that sites of this importance would be scheduled and you would not be able to detect on it ever again.

why would you do that then , saxon coins / artifacts are rare valuable items  and should be shared with everyone , not stuffed into a private collection like yours , as you stated your not in it for the money and rarely sell finds

What do you do with your finds then Mike sell them ? or do you get pleasure from having a nice little collection of coins and artefacts.

Do you donate all your finds to a museum for all to enjoy.a lot of finds in museums never see the light of day anyway there stored in vaults

Ok you do not need to declare single coins Saxon or not

You no not have to declare Saxon artefacts either unless there silver or gold.

If I find any treasure items they are reported

But I am not reporting my sites to the Archaeologists to do evaluation digs, on you have to be kidding

Deus 2013

Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 09:09:19 PM »

Im with you relichunting it takes time to find a good site
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 09:32:59 PM »

Interesting argument chaps, but  surely if you really ARE interested
in ancient history and you found a site of national importance, you'd
want that site recorded professionaly for future generations, and
 put all thoughts of monetary gain or your own private collection to one side  Huh

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 09:46:04 PM »

I'm with dryland on this, we have a duty as responsible detectorists to record all the finds, [not just treasure]. so that the experts can refer to the information recorded as and when they need to.

the 'whats in it for me' approach, needs to be shelved so that the 'whats in it for the nation' can take over.  Responsible detectorists who have recorded all their finds have helped improve our understanding of our nations history. Those who fail to record and then keep their finds without a record of the findspots, are only supporting the argument by those who condemn detecting as a whole.

In my opinion, keeping landowners informed and recording with PAS/UKDFD has to be the basic requirement of all detectorists.

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 09:52:29 PM »

Well I've reported a site that I thought was possibly of Welsh national importance and what has happened so far....DIDDLY SQUAT.
I reported this site direct, face to face, to a Dyfed Archie.in the Summer 2011.  I thought she was going to swoon. Oh, Oh, Ah, Ah, Well, Oh my, Oh my, that is interesting, were the immediate comments. And then nothing, for months.
Finally after mentioning it to another Archie. on another different project, it was mildly investigated and confirmed, complete with Lidar readings. Now bear in mind this site is possib.Bronze Age and is approx 500ft  diameter, it's huge, much bigger than Stone Henge and it's in WALES. You'd think it would creat some instant interest, wouldn't you.
NO. They don't have the funds for excavation but it will be recorded as a site of signifcant interest.
That was way back in May.(the second report|) I'd like to know WHEN.
I'd love everyone to know about it. And I'd be very proud if I was assoiated with it. That would be reward enough for me.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 09:53:40 PM »

since joining cardiff scan  club early this year i record my finds EVERY month with mark ludwick and give hime accurate find spots for all items , he'svery helpfull and appreciates the material he collects fromus and other welsh clubs .

personally i have no problem selling finds , its finding the saleable ones is the problem lol , if i were ever lucky enough to find a bit of treasure or a deserted saxon village i would be more than happy to let him know about it , Smiley Smiley Smiley

Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 09:57:37 PM »

...........................anyway about them bones , if their not human can i have em' for the dog , he likes a nice crunchy old bone  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2012, 10:08:09 PM »

So you have no problem selling your finds to be stuffed into a private collection like mine  Grin

I have a small collection of hammered coins and artifacts,i never find anything of huge value

We do have a few fields that produce a few Saxon items, and before anyone asks i am not telling you  Grin

Deus 2013

Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2012, 10:21:09 PM »

So you have no problem selling your finds to be stuffed into a private collection like mine  Grin

I have a small collection of hammered coins and artifacts,i never find anything of huge value

We do have a few fields that produce a few Saxon items, and before anyone asks i am not telling you  Grin

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

* point.png (87.04 KB, 275x183 - viewed 2490 times.)

handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2012, 10:34:37 PM »

i just hope that you've recorded the saxon finds on the national databases!

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2012, 10:38:31 PM »

Nice one Mike  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 10:44:07 PM »

Saxon - Strong Arm of the Law (music video)

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy ,

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal