Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Night hawkers  (Read 6039 times)
alun

« on: December 07, 2012, 06:09:16 PM »

Working in Builth over the week and had the chance to call in on a few farms to ask permission to take my son metal detecting on their farms next year. Well 2 of the farms were willing for us to have a search, but the other three gave me a right ear bashing. This was all down to "night Hawkers" as they called them. wandering over their land at night detecting for whatever they can. Angry
I tried to explain that i don't operate that way and neither do most of the self respecting detectors around. They understood what i was saying but they pointed out that with the presence of Roman forts and roads the "NIght Hawkers" have wrecked certain areas of the sites.
Really got me annoyed  how idiots always ruin it for everyone else. Might still be able to build a bridge in the future as one of the two farms i do have permission for borders the others land. Undecided

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 08:48:39 PM »

Have you thought the farmers may just be saying that as another way of saying "no"?

Sometimes they say they already have another detectorist doing their farm and don't want anyone else. This and other excuses.

It makes them look less mean than an outright "no!"

Don't believe everything you are told.  Wink

Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 08:52:05 PM »

asking the adjoining farm often works , BUT , if they dont like each other , well , you will get an even firmer  'no'  Sad

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Whiteduke

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 11:05:46 PM »

Got to be honest,i dont know how they do it(nighthawking)
Ive detected in the dark(legit)and soon gave up ,even with
lights flashing everywhere.

i go along with the farmers excuse theory.
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 11:31:07 PM »

it definately goes on ,and by people you least expect,worked with a son of a detctorist who regularly wrote for a well known md magazine, the son told me of lots of occasions when his father went out night hawking ...

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur
galoshers

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 10:16:50 AM »

you cant stopem ,roman forts is like honey to a bee ,whatever you try to do they wont stop a coming ,night and day the onslaught will continue
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 11:02:21 AM »

You have to admit they're not on their own.  Archies are much the same.  Tell them you've found a Bronze or Iron Age whatever and it takes forever to get any response. But tell them it's Roman and they strait there.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
the-BANGOR-citizan

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 12:20:03 PM »

Had a permission at Builth Road through family next to an important piece of Welsh History. Detected it twice when I got a call from the owner was I out detecting in the dark, said no our agreement was weekends and I would call by to let him or the wife know I was there. Arranged to see him in morning and the field was a mess holes dug everywhere and on the scheduled monument as well. It had to be a group of people for the damage done and need less to say I left it at that with the farmer. I actually approached two detectorists near Evesham in broad daylight who promptly legged it like Olympians who I think must have been dodgy as they left open holes as well. It goes on and they want shooting but don,t be shocked about how brazen they are.

Remember Farrar Road
Farmer Phil (always remembered)
Roy
Rally attendee

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 03:15:43 PM »

What I don't understand even you wanted to detect at night, 'how the hell do you do it'....as I have difficulty finding a coin in a hole during the day, can spend a while trying to locate my find with my pinpoint probe during daylight and its right under my nose, whats the chances of finding anything good even on a roman site in darkness while watching out for angry farmer, cattle, dogs plus looking where you are walking...its the farmer saying No if you ask me, which is fine, as its his land......

My teenage son told me at my 43rd birthday 'Dad do you know you are closer to death than being born'...makes you think..... I need to start living and digging bigger holes
Whiteduke

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 03:48:48 PM »

Going back to the original post,you asked 5 farmers for permission ,2 said yes ,thats a good result,whatever the reason for the 3 no`s it hasnt stopped you

so dont go blaming us ,i mean err the nighthawkers  Grin.
alun

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 04:06:36 PM »

Nice one White Duke lol.
No i know two is a good result, and lets see how it goes from here. Had another result on a local farm, which as others stated "people have been on before and found nothing". He let us go on anyway s which after a few hours had turned up a few small find some of which i need to clean up first. Happy days. At least I know that most of us respect our hobby. Just wish I could find my first bloody Roman lol

Medieval 15
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 05:27:07 AM »

2 farms is a good start,some hawkers use night vision gogs,met a few who openly admit it. Shocked

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 03:26:19 PM »

Night Hawkers are still a bane on this wonderful hobby and i meet them from time to time at rallies ,hiding in amongst the genuine law abiding detectorists and raiding neighbouring farms.....Dont worry their cards are marked as police know their registration plates and are monitoring them..They only make up a small percentage of people who own a metal detector.,.I remember being in a pub in Yorkshire chatting to the bar staff about our hobby and local farmers treating us like vermin because of night hawkers invading their land...I had won award in the Isle of Man through my efforts in metal detecting and fielding walking a couple of  weeks before ..I was embarrassed, as my mates were for being placed on the same level as these criminals Angry
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 04:09:19 PM »

Nice one White Duke lol.
No i know two is a good result, and lets see how it goes from here. Had another result on a local farm, which as others stated "people have been on before and found nothing". He let us go on anyway s which after a few hours had turned up a few small find some of which i need to clean up first. Happy days. At least I know that most of us respect our hobby. Just wish I could find my first bloody Roman lol

You'll get one - I detected one field for two years before I started finding stuff - I've had about 40 romans (one a really nice denarius) off it this year.
alun

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 06:05:52 PM »

Cant come quick enough probono.
Itching to get out, but last Saturday saw me putting up the Christmas tree, taking the kids to a birthday party, and delivering cake orders for the missus. Sunday had me decorating the outside of the **** house, then taking the kids to a Christmas party   Tongue
Sat down in the evening a pouted better than any of my kids can  Cry
Oh the joy of having little ones

Medieval 15
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: