Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Some people just have no manners lol. Updated  (Read 15992 times)
Da Monkey
Superhero Member

secret CTX LuVVeeerrrrrr

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2012, 08:14:36 PM »

Wow  Shocked  Very well done Nick and everyone, great pics as well Chef Smiley  Well thats set the standard, I'll expect a hoard of my own as well when we get that day out you mentioned  one day Chef  Wink  LOL
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:25:50 PM by Da Monkey » Logged

BOOOOMMMM  BABBBBEEHHHHH!!! I've found even more old tat !!!     Grin Grin
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2012, 09:05:36 PM »

I had a great day out with Deadlock and he of Psycho fame N.Bates. Well I had decided to take them on to the only bit of pasture I could find, this included 4 fields I have only spent a few hours on but with known Roman habitation.
I'll say now that as has been regular of late today was not to be my day with only a Georgian grot and a Roman mount, Oh and maybe a palm guard Huh
Well on with the story.......Nick had only been on the first field for about 20 mins and came the immortal words of "I've got a Roman" and so he did a late 3rd century grot. A hour later or so Al chips in with one of his own and follows it a little later with a Roman folis. We changed fields a few times after this, with Nick getting another grot and all of us getting well and truly soaked in a passing storm that was looking for New York.
It was about now that Al comes up with the suggestion of returning to the first field and so of we trot, dripping as we went Cheesy
15 minutes later and Nick is holding aloft a 9ct gold child's signet ring, the first ring he has ever found. One proviso I always make when people come on to my land is they have got to find something good...but a gold ring ummm?

Well not half an hour later he is at it again lol but this time the word wasn't "Roman" or "Gold" but "Hoard!".
Yep he was really taking the P..s now Cheesy And a hoard is exactly what he has found, he has retrieved 11 coins so far and through consultation with the FLO on the phone, the rest is still there awaiting her visit along with someone from the County Archaeologist's office tomorrow morning. The hole has been filled after covering the coins we could see and a fuller excavation will happen tomorrow. I think we counted 11 more poking out of the soil but how many are below these is anybodies guess.
A huge congratulations to Nick on finding a hoard and an even bigger well done for have the self restraint to not go and borrow a JCB lol
Wow guys great day out super story unfolding here,congratulations Wink
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2012, 09:24:05 PM »

great pics geoff,,,,,, Grin.......they really tell the story of the excavation.... Wink....well done to everyone involved, from discovery to unearthing the hoard......byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2012, 10:12:50 PM »

Nice pics and update. Thanks. Very interesting.  Smiley

Mungo

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2012, 11:09:36 PM »

great pics and follow up ........... Cool nice one , you won't forget that in a hurry....
jaydogg

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »

Did they take any levels or do any planning Geoff? How exactly did they record the hoard?  I know with watching briefs a lot of the time it's just the minimum of recording and as I have never been privy to partake in an excavation of this nature (of what is essentially a single find) I was wondering how it was recorded? Cheers.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 05:05:01 AM »

No, no surveying was carried out but I guess due to financial restrictions and not knowing about the building would limit the amount of recording necessary. Recording was by GPS for location, physical measure of the coin and bag area also that of the trench and the relation to the wall and it's orientation. Scale photographs were taken and grid drawing was done. Wink
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 06:07:44 AM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Pipster
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Minelab E-trac & Deus user

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2012, 06:47:52 AM »

Super pic's and report Geoff ... and a big well done to one and all  Wink

DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2012, 06:57:54 AM »

Great write up high standard to the max well done so very interesting

WeCan-Octavian
Superhero Member

''On it like Sonic''

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2012, 07:34:47 AM »

Thank you Geoff once again for the day out and as usual a brilliant write up. Regardless of who found it, its always a team effort in my eyes and always see an invite to someone elses permission as real priviledge, your a true gentlemen!! its who your with that makes up 90% of the day with the banter and a good chat and laugh. I certainly will take and treasure this memory to my grave (Or unless im unfortunate enough to get Alzheimer's!!!!) Ive come a long way since i started detecting in january with my old Garrett Ace 100!!! and wouldnt have kept an interest if it wasnt for all the brilliant people in the hobby and mainly the wealth of knowledge on Detecting Wales.

Big pat on the back to everyone who keeps this hobby alive.

Nick

''By order of the long haired general'' I now use a Minelab !!!!!
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2012, 07:38:42 AM »

Thank you Geoff once again for the day out and as usual a brilliant write up. Regardless of who found it, its always a team effort in my eyes and always see an invite to someone elses permission as real priviledge, your a true gentlemen!! its who your with that makes up 90% of the day with the banter and a good chat and laugh. I certainly will take and treasure this memory to my grave (Or unless im unfortunate enough to get Alzheimer's!!!!) Ive come a long way since i started detecting in january with my old Garrett Ace 100!!! and wouldnt have kept an interest if it wasnt for all the brilliant people in the hobby and mainly the wealth of knowledge on Detecting Wales.  Cheesy

Big pat on the back to everyone who keeps this hobby alive.

Gonna make me cry now.

Nick

carling68
Rally attendee

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2012, 07:43:13 PM »

:ogood one nick.look forward to hear further results
WeCan-Octavian
Superhero Member

''On it like Sonic''

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2012, 06:38:05 PM »

The Garrett searcher newsletter decided to do a little write up!!! page 37

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/searcher_pdf/searcher_winter_2013_2.pdf

* HOARD WRITE UP154.jpg (371.2 KB, 1192x1685 - viewed 1837 times.)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 09:50:13 AM by WeCan-Octavian » Logged

''By order of the long haired general'' I now use a Minelab !!!!!
glynkid

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2012, 05:35:16 AM »

Well done I hope mant more turn up I remember a small hoard of roman coins being    f ound on a club dig and the excitment of finding them

glyn kid
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2012, 04:58:22 PM »

awsome result guys ,you lucky peeps ,very nice

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal