Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Paul the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants - Hypocrite.  (Read 11966 times)
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« on: October 22, 2012, 01:16:34 PM »

In one of Paul Barfords most recent articles,

http://paul-the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/focus-on-uk-metal-detecting-rejoicing.html

Mr the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants starts off my ridiculing the valley's and pretty much anyone else that has picked up a metal detector. But what is most petty about his article is that he relishes in ridiculing the average metal detectorist's spelling.

Now Im onlee a simpl mindid detectorist butt im shure that mr Barfords own spelleen is not perfick.

Mr the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants, 'you've been Barforded'

Well, I suppose many will continued to be "amazed" by things they do not understand. The rest of us think that Britain has thrown millions of quid at an outreach Scheme to liaise with these people and explain simple things like the difference between surface evidence surveys and excavation and all that. It's not rocket science, but it seems the PAS has concluded that it's beyond their capabilities to explain that to their "metal detecting" partners over fifteen years of "outreach". Quite what they've done with the time and money apart from complining a database of objects lost from the archaeological record is beyond the rest of us. In any case, quite a lot of the discussion on detecting forums these days is about the new generation of sensitive depth advantage machines and the advantages they give over those who do shallow detecting. The PAS would of course  never create such a list (because their "partners" would not come out too well if they did), but I bet if the public were kept properly informed about what's happening out in the fields, a high proportion (perhaps a very high proportion) of the multiple-object Treasure finds made each year are coming from below ploughsoil levels, despite strenuous efforts of the pro-collecting lobby to suggest otherwise.  
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 01:20:39 PM by Tafflaff (Rob) » Logged

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 01:34:13 PM »

get back upa mountin Cheesy

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 01:55:26 PM »

Try this one from todays blog    22.10. 12   Grin Grin Grin

Of course "local government designation" does not have the legal clout of the scheduling system, and cannot be used, for eexample to effectively protect any - known or unknown -  archaeological sites from looting by artefact hunters, for example those with metal detectors, whether by day or by night.

and this grammatical error!.

A week later, another American, Mrs. Candi Dunlap [not Dunlop as originally reported] was detained attempting to leave Macedonia at Skopje's international airport after customs authorities found in her baggage numerous coins dating back the second century [?] BC which she is accused of smuggling.

as for this basic error  - say no more

Most of the discussion I have seen on US coin forums on this topic does little except illustrate an abysmal  lack of intelligence or understanding of the way the world works and pettyness on the part of those who spend their time fondling little discs of metal. If this woman had been Turkish, Albanian, Polish, Maltese or any other nationality, everybody would be praising Macedonian customs on their vigilance - and saying how such a smuggler deserves to go to jail

I think i'll offer my services as a proof reader!   Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 02:06:57 PM by handyman [Alan} » Logged

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 02:12:04 PM »

Maybe we should use these eexamples to compline a list. Or is that pettyness at work ?

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 02:48:35 PM »

Think you two are goin to be on Barfords naughty list  Grin

rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 03:43:54 PM »

PMSL!  Grin

It's wrong to ridicule someones spelling...............they could have dyslexia like Taff!  Grin

win

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 07:05:45 PM »

A quick glance through Mr. the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants's latest rant shows 'excample'  'poeople'  'aford'  'exhaulted' (I really like that one), also various minor grammar mistakes including sentences starting with small letters. Yes its all patheitc nit picking but just showing him that no one is perfect.
win

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 07:07:32 PM »

I know, it should be pathetic, and it is.
Techony

Research - Recover - Record

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 07:13:04 PM »

Yep, people who live in grass houses shouldn't throw bones.  Grin

NARC.org.uk                "You can have my Deus when you prise it from my cold dead hand"
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 10:48:30 AM »

and from todays blog .... grammar and spelling errors

So while a bunch of vengeful foreign interventionists was trying to bomb Gaddafi's Libya into the Stone Age to put a government of murdrous thugs in power ....................

Feel free to add more examples   Grin Grin Grin

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 11:18:06 AM »

I believe we can give him some forgiveness when speedily writing a blog...but when writing a book???
This is part of a review of his book "The Early Slavs"

"the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants's The Early Slavs covers interesting ground where good syntheses are lacking. It was written, the author states, to be used "as an introductory text for students of history, archaeology and European Studies," and "for the general reader and western medievalist wanting an introduction to the history and archaeology of the area." The "area" is defined as those lands settled by peoples speaking Slav languages, and called Eastern Europe. the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants explains that this is shorthand for East-Central (including European Russia) and South-Eastern Europe. The book fails to provide a commendable synthetic introduction to the whole of "Slavdom" for three reasons: it is poorly written; its presentation of "history" is inadequate when compared with the far better treatment of "archaeology"; and it fails to cover the whole "area" equally or equally well. We may dispense with the first problem briefly: the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants writes in an awkward manner, partly conversational, partly densely academic, and appears on occasion to have a poor grasp of formal English grammar. He researched and wrote the book in Warsaw during the 1990s, and may have been out of an English-speaking milieu for long enough that one can understand his odd word choices or some poor sentence constructions. However, this can lead to significant problems in comprehension. For example: "When referring to the 'Early Slavs' here therefore, I intend to mean the people who we have good reason to believe speak spoke [sic] early versions of Slav languages, and it should be stressed that I do not mean the term to refer to a single ethnic group" (27). An editor at Cornell University Press should have read this text carefully and perhaps reduced the length of the book by about one-third. The general reader or western medievalist may find herself as frustrated as this Byzantinist at the more verbose passages. He may also grind his teeth at such facile observations as "Modern newspaper reports of the same event sometimes reflect the political bias of their writers for example" (5); or "Archaeology is not just about things, but about the people who once used the things we find and left the traces we interpret" (11)."
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 12:27:58 PM »

his book "The Early Slavs" Huh

My god!!!......doesnt he realise he's left an "e" out of Slaves!!....... Grin Grin Grin

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
mrstonytrees

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 05:36:12 AM »

The gentleman in question has now responded to this thread!
TheLoveDoc

Garret Ace 250 Minelab Safari

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 06:39:14 AM »

ummm ...who is Paul the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants ?

1 Gold ring - returned to owner.
1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 06:46:26 AM »

and from todays blog .... grammar and spelling errors

So while a bunch of vengeful foreign interventionists was trying to bomb Gaddafi's Libya into the Stone Age to put a government of murdrous thugs in power ....................

Feel free to add more examples   Grin Grin Grin

It's good to see the student correcting one of his above mistakes!  Grin Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal