Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Garret Ace 150 >>>  (Read 3071 times)
halfasheep
Rally attendee

« on: October 22, 2012, 05:39:19 AM »

Hi all, I am hoping to buy the 250 off Bling tomorrow if it's not been sold already, but failing that my budget will only stretch to a new 150. From what I've read, there's not much difference apart from the 250 having discrim?

I was hoping to get the CS 4PI, but the guy on E-bay let me down and backed out of the sale  Sad

Is the 150 a good machine for beach and field? I was going to concentrate solely on beach, but a friend with a farm has let me use his fields if I want to

Thanks
Chris
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 07:49:28 AM »

Hi Chris
Unfortunately the Ace series are not beach machines and while it will perform OK on dry sand, the wet will make it near useless apart from the top couple of inches. People do use them on beaches and do occasionally come away with interesting finds but many regular users soon get frustrated with their limited performance and upgrade or pack in the hobby.
My Advice would be to save a little more and buy a second hand (£300 ish) Sovereign or Whites machine.
On dry land however, all the Ace's punch well above their weight Wink
halfasheep
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 07:59:02 AM »

Thanks for that Geoff, I may keep an eye out for another of those Pi machines as I work near to a beach, and don't live too far away either, so will have more opportunity for that kind of detecting.

I'll have to keep a few quid back this month then and see how it goes
Zeus (Joel)
Restricted Member

Garrett Euro Ace

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 08:13:19 AM »

the thing with the PI machines tho is that you will have to dig every signal as you won't know if it's good or bad until you've dug it up

2013 Finds

6 hammered
0 gold
0 Roman
halfasheep
Rally attendee

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 08:42:03 AM »

Thanks Joel, I had read that, but I don't mind - could do with the exercise lol

Have found it quite hard finding what I would class as a "straight" review - all I want to know about detectors is whether they work on land, on the beach, and if so, wet or dry sand - been a lifesaver on here regarding people actually using the different machines
adesace

If I was a rich man

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 09:52:35 AM »

There is a 150 for sale on ebay £60 2 hours left

Ade
halfasheep
Rally attendee

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 03:31:37 PM »

Gutted - must have missed that auction  Cry
Bling (mark)

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 05:02:24 PM »

Sorry mate ace now sold cheers bling.

Soveriegn xs2 pro / goldmaxx power v4 /makro racer
TheLoveDoc

Garret Ace 250 Minelab Safari

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 08:08:38 PM »

Hallo there halfasleep ....i just noticed you live in Maesteg ....me too fella. I do have an ace 250 which you can use if you join me some time. Im not sure if i would sell it though but it would be good to try one out before you bought one I suppose.

1 Gold ring - returned to owner.
1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens
halfasheep
Rally attendee

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 08:42:36 PM »

No problem Mark - thanks for letting me know

Doc, would wecome it mate - not sure where you detect, but am hopeful of getting permission for Tonna Farm in Nanty soon (family friend), and have noticed what look like two hill forts that are not on the maps in our area too, but not sure what the score is with that....

Have got some irons in the fire for detectors - if nothing soon, going to buy a new Ace 150 - figure I can re-sell it with minimal losses in any case
Jon1987

From - Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire.

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 10:42:16 AM »

Hi halfasheep,

I have been using my 150 for about 18 months now and I find it a great little machine. It's light, easy to use and I have has no shortage of finds. Iv managed to find everything from Georgian silver, hammereds, Roman, it's a real coin magnet. I also get plenty of nice artifacts, especially buckles.

I have got to agree with Geoff that it's useless on the beach. I have never found anything on the wet sand. Ever.

I did find about 90 quid over the course of last summer on the dry sand though. That paid for an upgrade to the DD coil. Finding even more on land since then.

So yes, I think it's a great machine if your using it on land or dry sand. If beaching detecting on the Wet is your thing, I would look at something else.

Jon
halfasheep
Rally attendee

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 05:57:16 PM »

Thanks for the input Jon. I'm trying to win a 250 on E-bay at the moment (not a chance lol), but faiing that, I think I may buy a new 150 and see how that goes

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal