Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: mineralization  (Read 2181 times)
grego
NWDD Member

« on: October 18, 2012, 04:11:50 PM »

Hi all, In lay terms could anybody please explain to me mineralization, What does it do or not do to detectors,
Do newer model detectors sort it out automaticly
Thank you
Grego

Grego
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 04:37:49 PM »

imagine it as fog.....if you go out on a foggy night in the car and shine your main beam headlights it just makes visibility worse......if your turn the lights down low makes it clearer

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 04:40:12 PM »

imagine it as fog.....if you go out on a foggy night in the car and shine your main beam headlights it just makes visibility worse......if your turn the lights down low makes it clearer

and what ever you do dont go onto the moor  Shocked Shocked Shocked

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 05:16:21 PM »

Well done Nobby that made it as clear as um, well, fog Cheesy
mineralisation is as it says minerals or tiny particles that are of a metallic origin whether from natural ores or rust particles. These particles exist in lesser or greater degrees in all soils and have an accumulative effect on a metal detector, meaning that the deeper the signal travels then the greater the mineralisation and with some coils this effect would follow the inverse square law and if you double the distance you would in fact multiply the effect by a factor of 4.

While at low levels these "Metals" are below the sensitivity of most machines, as their density increases, so the machine starts to see the effect as an actual target, thus small targets with a low conductivity that stand out "unique" on the surface, once buried begin to merge with their background, untill eventually the signal from the target and that of the surrounding ground is the same.
Ground balancing a machine basically calibrates "zero" on the machine but of course small burried targets can also be "zeroed" out Cry
While the more expensive machines can be fine tuned to mineralisation and can be run "on the edge", all VLF motion machines suffer from it regardless of price
PI machines on the other hand work in a different way and are not effected by naturally occurring mineralisation which is why they can find small targets and a far greater depth.
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 05:36:35 PM »

This is why a lot of VLF machines have difficulty detecting on the wet and black sand on a beach. It's the salts and minerals playing havoc with the 'ground balance' of the machine.

So when driving in fog...............use your Fog Lights!  Grin

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 08:21:32 PM »

One of my old fields is so bad the pin pointer sounds off on the soil. Try getting round that then.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal