Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What can you do with all your finds????  (Read 2979 times)
halfasheep
Rally attendee

« on: October 14, 2012, 07:30:44 PM »

Hi all, I've been reading all (and I mean all) the beach detecting posts as this is where I want to start out.

I see that people tend to bring up a lot of coinage (post and pre-decimal), as well as random scrap.

I saw someone say that they collected up the fishing weights to sell for scrap - I know lead is circa £1 a kg at the moment.

Now I'm not doing this for the money - I am well aware that I may spend months with little to no finds, but what do you guys a do with the stuff you don't want but other people may want? Does it go on E-bay or do you gather up the weights and sell to scrap dealers?

Any answers much appreciated - I fear I may be starting multiple collections of old badges while the missus flips out  Cheesy
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 07:57:05 PM »

an interesting question,  i put my finds into various display trays, to exhibit at local village fetes [which in turn leads to contacts, or invitations to detect!],

i created a powerpoint presentation and deliver talks to interested parties/groups etc .. which combined with the display trays, makes for a very interesting evening in village halls across the rural community.

People like to see their history up close. Being able to handle some of the artefacts makes it all worth while.

finally, make sure that all your finds over 300 years old are recorded with the Portable Antiquities Scheme, and the UKDFD, so that you get a full definitive identification.

if you want to know more, feel free to PM.

Cheers

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
halfasheep
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 08:01:47 PM »

Cheers Alan, I know about reporting certain finds (always been interested in archaeology), but didn't really think about exhibiting - I've been researching my famiy tree for years and a recently discovered cousin is part of the Port Tabot Historica Society, so I'll ikey donate anything I may come across of ocal interest to them.

Was just wondering whether it was worth keeping or disposing of the odd scraps I'm going to come across
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 08:07:21 PM »

many detectorists do keep scrap buckets of lead, copper, brass etc .. and occasionally weigh them in. what they do with the money is up to them, some donate it to a good cause, others use it to by eqpt, or purchase a few giftts for the local landowners at xmas.

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
halfasheep
Rally attendee

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 08:53:48 PM »

I get involved with the Mr X appeal at Christmas, so will likely save what I can and put it towards that - hope I get a shedload of fishing weights down Aberavon or Porthcawl  Grin
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 08:42:01 AM »

old jim'll fix it badges aint worth a lot at mo but i recycle ( sell to the scrappy ) lead weights,brass ,copper,bullets.e.t.c.loads of scrap on my beaches
 i sell most gold rings but keep the silver ones or give them to my god daughter for her collection .
 mike

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 09:36:16 AM »

I'd like to display some of my smaller finds. Is there such thing as picture type frame case that I could put my finds in and hang from a wall?

Thanks

XP Deus user
halfasheep
Rally attendee

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 09:53:45 AM »

Hotmill, if you type "collectible display frames" into a search engine, you come up with loads of sites
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 11:39:09 AM »

Hotmill, if you type "collectible display frames" into a search engine, you come up with loads of sites

Thanks

XP Deus user

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal