Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Ban find cheats  (Read 19814 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2012, 05:06:46 PM »

You mean if 8 of us methodically search (which they don't by the way, as random as they come) we will routinely find Roman and Saxon gold?
Have you been detecting long? lol
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2012, 05:20:03 PM »

Of course the fields are planted  Grin

And they want there money, and for them to come back year after year.

The yanks are charged around a £1000 a week

The trips are usually 3 weeks so that's £3000 each x by around 20 people

£60000 not bad for the people organising it   Roll Eyes

They can afford to throw around hundreds of tatty hammereds and Roman coins to keep everyone happy

Even a few gold coins planted are not going to break the bank with the money that is been made

Deus 2013

Hammies: 32
Saxon gilded saucer brooch 1
Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2012, 06:48:30 PM »

Of course stuff will get overlooked!...... no matter how methodically 8 people search they will never, ever, cover every inch of ground. 

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2012, 08:59:41 PM »

Not long come back from corfe, finds seemed for most of us very hard to wrinkle out, though i did hear of someone finding two gold or silver while the camera's were rolling, dont know who it was or whether it was true or not or if someone was just winding me up Grin since i didnt find very much. ha ha.

Personally i would think the majority of us enjoy the hobby what ever we find, its the thrill of the chase ! And as said previously you have to put the coil over it to find it, cannot see why someone would want to cheat, pointless  Roll Eyes
the-BANGOR-citizan

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2012, 08:14:34 AM »

Of course the fields are planted  Grin

£60000 not bad for the people organising it   Roll Eyes

They can afford to throw around hundreds of tatty hammereds and Roman coins to keep everyone happy

Even a few gold coins planted are not going to break the bank with the money that is been made

So basically this makes the PAS and UKDFD a totally useless exercise as the finds are all fabricated.

Remember Farrar Road
Farmer Phil (always remembered)
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2012, 11:09:19 AM »

That's a very good point. Not thought about that aspect.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2012, 02:34:53 PM »

I cant believe what i am reading on the subject of planted coins lol ....There is no guarantee if you planted 10,000 COINS on 1000 acres that a single planted coin would be found lol....Do you know how long it would take to plant them ..100s of hours as I helped plant tokens at the Oxford Rallies back in the 80s on a much smaller area than Weekend Wanders and i know that 30% of all tokens were never recovered...You can usually tell the difference between a planted object and a natural find ....Would you plant gold coins that might not be found ? Grin Grin Grin Grin
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2012, 03:27:15 PM »

Your being very naive Rob, but that is not the subject of the thread anyway. It's about people who claim they found coins in places other than the actual find spot, for what seems like personal adulation.
ctx3030

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2012, 03:29:54 PM »

planting coins is very easy to do wait till the muck spreader is about to be used pour buckets of coins  and grots into the spreader they are then spewed out then ploughed into the gound ,have you ever seen ,wanted buckets of grots ,
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2012, 04:07:12 PM »

Your being very naive Rob, but that is not the subject of the thread anyway. It's about people who claim they found coins in places other than the actual find spot, for what seems like personal adulation.

I was quoting relichunting Geoff in particular and being called naive thats a first. Roll Eyes..I was in building trade for thirty years with my own decorating business and people who knew me would not call me that ....I have already given my opinion on finds brought to sites for competition points or prizes  Roll Eyes
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2012, 06:34:05 PM »

Very easy to plot the exact position of  planted gold coins,and some of the more valuable finds

If there not found the organises can easily go back and dig them back up after the event

I am convinced the fields are planted for the yanks visits,of course it can never be proved.

Grot hammered and Romans, can easily be thrown around the fields in handfuls weeks before the events

Deus 2013

Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
Whiteduke

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »

Of course the fields are planted  Grin

£60000 not bad for the people organising it   Roll Eyes

So basically this makes the PAS and UKDFD a totally useless exercise as the finds are all fabricated.

Cant see the yanks declaring anything to be honest.
would you in a foreign country?
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2012, 08:01:57 PM »

Well its a bit dodgy if they don't,if there stopped going back through customs,they could have there finds confiscated

They only have to declare treasure items as far as I am aware,single gold coins wouldn't count ?

But then again would they need an export licence to take them out of are country ? 

Deus 2013

Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2012, 09:00:13 PM »

Earlier this year our club held a rally with members from 6 clubs in attendance. One guy was showing everyone two saxon pins which he claimed he had found at the rally. Furthermore, he claimed these were found in the same hole. I was later told that he is well known within his own club for his dubious finds on club digs. The saddest thing was that the saxon pins went in the display case and were recorded by the Flo. Although it seems certain that they were not found at the rally, it can't be disproved and the finds will now have been given a false provenance. Only these people know what is going on in their heads! Very, very, sad people who are deluding themselves into thinking they are the best. It's all a bit like athletes who take drugs.

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
leytijenks
Rally attendee

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2012, 11:46:50 PM »

What sort of people would plant an object in the ground only to walk over it and pretend to find it.

Very very sad individuals.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal