Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Ban find cheats  (Read 19800 times)
Pipster
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Minelab E-trac & Deus user

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2012, 02:54:15 PM »

I think they are people who have few or no friends and do it to impress others so they get all the attention, a sad lonely existence being an attention seeker. Or they could setting themselves up so some variety agent will book them for a new  show called; I WANT A FRIEND.

pmsl  Grin Grin

I don't get cross it just makes me smile to think that they think I'm so dull that I wouldn't know .. But hey it takes allsorts !!!!!

stubble hunter
Rally attendee

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2012, 07:23:33 PM »

Have long suspected this has been going on....have suspicions.. but can't really prove it...
However .. a few years back we did kick one guy out of our club for doing this... and it was 'proved' he was.
As they say.. "The truth will out'

And then there are the yanks coming over here on special (and expensive) organised detecting trips.
Its amazing how many find gold coins ..... Shocked
Just google around....
Once again ... can't really prove it...

The majority of us go out into the fields knowing that 9 times out of 10 we will come back with just a worn Georgian
and 'more buttons !!'  But then lady luck will look down on some of us as... it did with Terry Herbert of Staffordshire Hoard fame... and all those Georgians and buttons are forgotten. The anticipation, the discovery, the wonder of holding something untouched for hundreds or even thousands of years. Perhaps even having your find displayed for all time in a museum.
Thats why we love this hobby so much !  Smiley And... friends for life !  Smiley
Anyone in it for other reasons needs to look in the mirror
John

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 07:42:41 PM by stubble hunter » Logged
jonty

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2012, 07:50:37 PM »

There was a case a few years ago when some chap presented his finds to an F.L.O. at a dig near Canterbury. You can imagine his face when the F.L.O. asked why there were traces of Blu Tack on the back of the coins.
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2012, 07:32:18 AM »

Have long suspected this has been going on....have suspicions.. but can't really prove it...
However .. a few years back we did kick one guy out of our club for doing this... and it was 'proved' he was.

And then there are the yanks coming over here on special (and expensive) organised detecting trips.
Just google around....

The majority of us go out into the fields knowing that 9 times out of 10 we will come back with just a worn Georgian
and 'more buttons !!'  But then lady luck will look down on some of us as... it did with Terry Herbert of Staffordshire Hoard fame... and all those Georgians and buttons are forgotten. The anticipation, the discovery, the wonder of holding something untouched for hundreds or even thousands of years. Perhaps even having your find displayed for all time in a museum.
Thats why we love this hobby so much !  Smiley And... friends for life !  Smiley
John

As to the yanks coming over here attending expensive organised detecting trips and finding Saxon gold and all sorts of quality finds,I agree it seems to me the organises are planting the ground so they can get them back next year and make a fortune in the process.

Can it be proved ? of course not

Back to why people bring stuff to rallies and claim they have found it on the day

Its not always about winning find of the rally,or attention seeking

Some of these people do it simply to avoid paying off there farmers on the land they have really found the coins or artefacts on

Deus 2013

Hammies: 32
Saxon gilded saucer brooch 1
Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2012, 12:23:53 PM »

Just google around....

John

As to the yanks coming over here attending expensive organised detecting trips and finding Saxon gold and all sorts of quality finds,I agree it seems to me the organises are planting the ground so they can get them back next year and make a fortune in the process.

Can it be proved ? of course not

Back to why people bring stuff to rallies and claim they have found it on the day

Its not always about winning find of the rally,or attention seeking

Some of these people do it simply to avoid paying off there farmers on the land they have really found the coins or artefacts on

I would personally disagree with that point. If they were going to stoop to that level of subterfuge, then all they would need to do is not show the farmer in the first place.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2012, 01:01:10 PM »

If they don't show the farmer there finds in the first place and  try to sell the finds it raises to many questions

The farmer could find out or be informed by someone else

So they take there finds to rallies and claim they have found them there

Deus 2013

Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
win

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2012, 01:52:47 PM »

No, got to agree with Taff. Unless the item  is worth a few thousand, there's no way a bog standard sale of $50 or £100 is going to be noticed, so why bring it to a rally in the first place.
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2012, 05:40:20 PM »

I am talking about high value items

Deus 2013

Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2012, 05:47:42 PM »

i ve never seen high value items on any rally

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2012, 06:07:36 PM »

Items over £200 + some people would rather keep it to them self's than give the farmer his rightful share

Unfortunately there is lots of metal detector users out there that never show the farmer there finds instead they take them to rallies and say "look what i have found"

Myself and my two detecting mates show are farmers all are finds irrespective of value, this is one of the reasons we have so much land  Grin

Deus 2013

Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
Whiteduke

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2012, 07:22:09 PM »

"Myself and my two detecting mates show are farmers all are finds irrespective of value, this is one of the reasons we have so much land  "

What`s the other reasons?
 Smiley
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2012, 08:15:33 PM »

The other reasons are we put in a lot of leg work visiting farmers

Deus 2013

Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
Whiteduke

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2012, 08:48:20 PM »

okey-dokey
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2012, 07:20:01 AM »

everyone goin to get frisked on way in?if not then you will never stop this stuff happening at rallies.bit pointless if you ask me  Shocked

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
audiolab

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2012, 04:23:28 PM »

Just google around....

na dont think that happens ,i think your talking about ChicagoRon and his team that comes over 3 times a year to colchester.
youve got to remember this Ron and at least 8 other guys start detecting at sunrise and go home at sunset ,ron was telling me that they dig at least 300 plus holes a day ,and just the other day he only found a couple of hammies ,law of averages means that 8 guys methodically search a field nothing gets overlooked

Minelab E-TRAC
2 tone ferrous beast

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal