Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: garett euro ace ,hammered coins,roman coins  (Read 13163 times)
euroace
Rally attendee

« on: September 23, 2012, 06:51:32 PM »

Whats the best setting on the garett euro ace to find hammies or roman coins i am using coins mode at the moment. Smiley Grin Huh Huh Huh any help much appreciated as i am desparate for a hammie or roman coin  Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 06:53:33 PM by euroace » Logged
shunggav

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 07:43:04 PM »

Hi and wecome dw think best put in allmetals till u find out were things come up on the display  good luck

The chicken came first – God would look silly sitting on an egg...... if u like me add me on facebook........ gavin  warren
peanut

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 07:18:46 AM »

Welcome to the forum  Wink 

I'm afraid there is no best setting that is going to guarantee you hammered coins . Roll Eyes

You're best bet is to do some intensive research of your local area and get permission to detect on land that has seen habitation for the past 2000+ years.

Just look at the recent Weekend Wanderers 3x day rally held last weekend. There were over 1200 detectorists there for 3x days and I haven't heard yet of a single hammered coin found on hundreds of acres!  what does that tell you ?

Personally I would suggest that you use the maximum amount of sensitivity you can before the machine goes unstable . Depending on the ground you are detecting on that could be as high as 2x notches from maximum.

I don't recommend searching in all metal mode for the novice using any of the Garrett Ace series.Its just too damm noisy!. The cacophony of sound you hear on most land will deafen and confuse you.

Don't use the 'coin' mode either because the notch that is missing from the middle (ring pulls )  also is exactly where the majority of hammered silver coins are .! Wink

Some experienced Ace users say using all-metal mode  you get a possible increase in depth of 1/2" or so...... well zippadeedodah Grin Grin I'll trade a 1/2" for a more pleasant and easier learning experience anyday .

Use the descrimination .....thats what its there for ! Wink    

My recommendation would be to put it into 'custom' mode and notch out the first 5x notches from the left ....that way you won't spend all day digging lumps of iron and rusty nails and get fed up and dissillusioned as you sound now.

Try and borrow some Roman And Hammered silver coins to try with your detector so you can see where the signals come on your lcd screen but more importantly you can hear what the tones sound like.

Go and hit the local library and do some research on the old maps of your area , good luck

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:27:20 AM by peanut » Logged
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 07:46:30 AM »

I was at the WW rally there were quite a few hammereds found, i even found a cut quarter my self  Huh

For the amount of people there and the history of the land it was very disappointing though

I search with no discrimination using a Deus

I would not recommend searching in all metal unless you have some kind of tone ID

This way you can set the iron to just give a grunt and everything else a mid or high tone

Deus 2013

Hammies: 32
Saxon gilded saucer brooch 1
Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
euroace
Rally attendee

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 03:53:37 PM »

thanks guys for all the help  Grin Grin Grin much appreciated   Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print