Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: weekend wanderers festival of buttons  (Read 20392 times)
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2012, 04:55:57 PM »

I always try and hold rallies on productive  area’s,  and I feel gutted if no- one turns up hammered or Roman on a dig. On average 6-7 hammered usually turn up with a dig  of 20 people. So the WW bash had  about  1200 people per day on the Saturday and Sunday so they should have turned up 840 hammered over the 2 days, which sadly was not the case.

I think the Wiltshire downs are a bit hit and miss, a lot of land but very little habitation. Embarrassed

The button moon rally was held on the Oxfordshire downs Steve

Most of the Wiltshire downs are either MOD schedule 1 land or crown estate, so no one really knows what's up there

Deus 2013

Hammies: 32
Saxon gilded saucer brooch 1
Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
avalon

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2012, 05:06:26 PM »

I always try and hold rallies on productive  area’s,  and I feel gutted if no- one turns up hammered or Roman on a dig. On average 6-7 hammered usually turn up with a dig  of 20 people. So the WW bash had  about  1200 people per day on the Saturday and Sunday so they should have turned up 840 hammered over the 2 days, which sadly was not the case.

I think the Wiltshire downs are a bit hit and miss, a lot of land but very little habitation. Embarrassed

The button moon rally was held on the Oxfordshire downs Steve

Most of the Wiltshire downs are either MOD schedule 1 land or crown estate, so no one really knows what's up there

You really know how to down a man Shaun Cheesy

relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2012, 05:33:56 PM »

I think part of the Wiltshire downs, Marlbrough side, runs through to Hungerford and Oxfordshire.

Looks like you found more buttons than i did, and i had 100 over 3 days,must have been a very busy area so i wonder were all the coins were?  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:44:25 AM by relichunting » Logged

Deus 2013

Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
the-BANGOR-citizan

« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2012, 08:34:54 PM »

Many differing views on the Rally and each to their own. I think it is now expected to represent more of a social event than a gaurenteed detecting utopia. I learnt back in 2008 it was not for me and will not be attending again. I choose last Thursday and Friday out at two of my own sites, both very succesful for differing reasons and had a day at the footy saturday and enjoyed the motocross Sunday a win, win all round for me and spent no where near fifty Quid. You wanna go, you go, just don,t run it down if you find nothing as you could say the same about any rally any where. You know next time.

Well said mate ...everybody to there own and my surname is Farrer ...Where is Farrar RD as a matter of interest ?lol
The south end of the high street Rob. The club moved to a brand new stadium earlier this year at Nantporth just out of town.

Remember Farrar Road
Farmer Phil (always remembered)
stewart
Rally attendee

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2012, 09:34:23 PM »

Sinclair and i from Scotland detected field 3 on the friday and i found a vale of pewsey gold quarter stater,4 roman grots,a roman brooch and a nice lead token.On Saturday i found a nice Edward farthing another 5 roman grots,2 rose farthings and medieval jetton.Sinclair just couldn't find anything of interest at all at this time apart from the multitude of buttons and bullets we were both getting.We then met a couple of freindly D.W members,G.I Jane and rolling stone i think there avatars where and G.I.Jane gave sinclair a small wales badge which he placed in his empty finds tin for the next day as we were done for the day.On the Sunday Sinclair found a nice wee cut half of John to end his hammy drought so thank you G.I.Jane for the good luck charm. Grin Grin.Here's a couple of pics of the Celtic. Smiley

* Vale of Pewsey 010.JPG (90.22 KB, 640x480 - viewed 910 times.)

* Vale of Pewsey 011.JPG (91.44 KB, 640x480 - viewed 897 times.)
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2012, 10:48:35 PM »

Getting confused here  Huh

I was talking to the chap that found the gold quarter stater as i was leaving on Sunday was that you ?

You told me that you had only had your Deus a few months and you found the quarter stater,and a bullhead sixpence late Friday afternoon when everyone else had gone over the area

You never mentioned all these other finds,seems you had an excellent weekend when all those around you were only finding buttons and bullets.

There was a suggestion from another member on this thread that you dident find the quarter stater at the rally and you simply brought it with you to get it valued,well at least you can now put them right on this

Well done on your finds 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:25:16 PM by relichunting » Logged

Deus 2013

Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
Lady Marian
Rally attendee

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2012, 10:58:49 PM »

i along with at least 100+ detectorists detected field 3 for most of the day on friday and everyone i spoke to had only found buttons/bullets or lead so well done on your finds and just goes to show what get's missed Wink
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2012, 11:46:15 PM »

Getting confused here  Huh

I was talking to the chap that found the gold quarter stater as i was leaving on Sunday was that you ?

You told me that you had only had your Deus a few months and you found the quarter stater,and a bullhead sixpence late Friday afternoon when everyone else had gone over the area

You never mentioned all these other finds,seems you had an excellent weekend when all those around you were only finding buttons and bullets.

There was a suggestion from another member on this thread that you dident find the quarter stater at the rally and you simply brought it with you to get it valued,well at least you can now put them right on this

Well done on your finds 

............says the guy who's button count has gone from 100 to 200 in just a few days  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2012, 06:41:53 AM »

I was not the person doubting the mans gold quarter stater was found at the rally,in fact I congratulated him when  i spoke to him Sunday

The 200 buttons was a typing error it should have read 100 not that it is anything to brag about

A lot of detecting and digging  Grin

Herbie was with me most of Saturday and can confirm i had at least 30 - 40 before he left

The typing error has now been put right,thank you for bringing it to my attention Mike
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:50:52 AM by relichunting » Logged

Deus 2013

Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
stewart
Rally attendee

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2012, 11:09:33 AM »

I was not the person doubting the mans gold quarter stater was found at the rally,in fact I congratulated him when  i spoke to him Sunday

The 200 buttons was a typing error it should have read 100 not that it is anything to brag about

A lot of detecting and digging  Grin

Herbie was with me most of Saturday and can confirm i had at least 30 - 40 before he left

The typing error has now been put right,thank you for bringing it to my attention Mike

Hi relichunting,could there possibly have been 2 found?I do not possess a Deus,I sold mine three months ago and didn't find a bully.I found the coin with my trusty E Trac,half the field heard me when i found it and came over to congratulate me.We weren't camped there but where staying in my caravan at Bedford and travelling everyday to the site.We didn't talk to anybody on the Sunday that i can recall as we just dumped of our wet stuff and headed for home about an hour after the rains started as we were a bit scared of getting stuck in the mud lol.We were in a blue astra with a top box on.As for bringing it to get it valued,we do not get anything like that in Scotland.It was number 46 in the finds cabinet at the flos stand.If you google vale of pewsey gold quarter stater on the internet a weekend wanderers 2012 report by the moderator of uk and european metal detecting forum with many nice pics of the rally and also a couple of pics of my find in the finds display cabinet.Hope this clears up any issues. Smiley
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2012, 01:21:49 PM »

I don't doubt you at all Stewart in fact it was another member on this thread that suggested you brought it with you to get it valued  Roll Eyes

Pewsey staters are local to that area

As I was  leaving on Sunday, this guy with a Deus told me he had found a quarter stater plus a bulls head sixpence late on Friday afternoon in field 3, he did not sound Scottish though

He even went on to say that it had been displayed in the finds tent,now I only seen one on display all weekend and that was number 46

Probably a attention seeker

I also heard a guy found a gold hammered on Friday,and then on the Saturday the same guy had found another

Lots of stories go on at rallies of this and that been found, I do not believe half of them

Deus 2013

Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2012, 03:21:41 PM »

' they dont look happy , maybe we should offer them a refund ' ,  Shocked Shocked Shocked

probably the same guys who pushed the toilets over  Undecided Undecided

Have talked to the organisers of rally  about the toilets and it was a problem when cleaners and an inexperience employee lifting the loos on to a truck ..not vandalism and i apologise for my earlier remarks  Roll Eyes
the hog

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2012, 10:35:32 PM »

That part of Oxfordshire is full of bullets or cases, many seasoned detectorists would have advised that before you went,but with saying that I've seen many fantastic finds from the WW rallies I've attended.
At least they don't seed the land with Roman grots, as other Rally Organisers do.
I've also done many day's detecting around the Wantage / West Challow area,I've alway's come away with hammered and Roman coinage.
I prefer to detect for 8 hours in Oxfordshire that 40 hours in North Wales.
Roll on next year.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal