Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold love ring is treasure trove - Vale of Glamorgan  (Read 2943 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: November 12, 2008, 08:49:05 AM »

BBC News - 30th March 2005

A collection of artefacts dating from the Bronze Age to the 1600s has been declared treasure by a coroner's court in Cardiff. The items were found over the course of 18 months at various sites in the Vale of Glamorgan, south Wales.

They included a gold Elizabethan ring with the inscription "Let Liking Last" on its inner rim, found near the ruins of a manor house in Llantrithyd.

Five Bronze Age axe heads were also among items found by metal dectectors. The axes are from the late Bronze Age period.

The court declared seven items to be treasure, meaning it now becomes the property of the Crown and must be valued before it can be sold.

Archaeological staff at the National Museums and Galleries of Wales now hope to buy the items for their collections.

A Romano-British silver ring and a 16th Century silver gilt dress hook were some of the other highlights of the finds.

A second inscribed 16th or 17th Century gold ring was also found, bearing the legend "Where this I give, I wish to live" in italic writing.

The museum's head of archaeology, Mark Redknap, said: "Many of the rings illustrate style and fashion in jewellery, dress accessories and they provide first-hand evidence.

"For a lot of things, we rely on contemporary accounts or portraits but here we have the objects themselves.

"Where they have got inscriptions we can see the use of letter styles."

The artefacts also helped to make comparisons in fashion and styles between Wales, the rest of Britain and beyond, he added.

Peter Halford (DetectingWales.com member), who found the first inscribed ring, was in court to hear the coroner's judgement.

He came across the ring while out with his metal detector in February 2004.

The psychiatrist from Talbot Green, near Llantrisant, had found two other historical artefacts during the two-and-a-half years since he took up the hobby, but this was the first one of value he had unearthed within Wales.

"I was out with my metal detector just not finding very much as usual. I heard the signalling, dug down not very far, saw this glint of gold looking as good as the day it was lost.

"I didn't realise how significant it was. I though it was something modern at first," he said.

"Then I saw what I'd thought was dirt was enamel, which I knew you got on old rings, and I felt how heavy it was and realised it wasn't modern but a quality item."

Dr Halford said he did not have any idea how much the ring might be worth.

"I don't do it for the money. I think it's good more to feel a connection with the past.

"I just wonder who lost it."

He believes the owner was probably a young girl who either lost it accidentally or threw the ring away after an falling-out with whoever gave the item to her.

"It was found near Llantrithyd Place and there may be a connnection with the house," he added.

Admin message:
The gold ring picture has been removed temporarily as we've had some problems with it.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 10:49:21 PM by admin » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 09:00:29 AM »

Hi Neil

I remember reading about the Elizabethan ring with the inscription "Let Liking Last" and i thought what a beautifull Inscription
I must get it put on a ring for the 2nd Mrs Jones I havnt got round to it yet but its on my todo list lol

Regards Phil
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 09:18:33 AM »

arrr,  i found my hoard of axeheads 6 months before they made included them into  treaure trove .ARRR
 Alan

BottyBurp (Kris)

To "Search and Protect"

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 01:49:47 AM »

i found my hoard of axeheads 6 months before they made included them into  treaure trove .ARRR
 Alan
I've yet to find my first Axe Head  Cry come to think of it I've never even seen one in the flesh....

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE & SIGN THE GUESTBOOK.
H.M.D.C. Member
S.H.R.A.D.S Member
N.C.M.D. Member
www.freewebs.com/krisupfold
www.freewebs.com/hucclecotemetaldetectingclub

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal