Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What Laptop !!!!!!!!!  (Read 6682 times)
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« on: September 12, 2012, 05:16:15 PM »

hi folks looking to buy a descent new laptop up to £300 - £400 never owned one so would like a bit of help please, not for games just the internet really cheers. Wink
                                                            All advice is much appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 05:17:59 PM by Casa-Dos (kev) » Logged
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 05:24:20 PM »

Acer Aspire 5750

HPPavilion g6

ASUSX501A-XX006V

Kev, personnally i will go for them they are good computer especially the asus .  Wink.Nap
adesace

If I was a rich man

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 05:29:14 PM »

P.C World has a H.P Pavilion on offer it ends today. Should be £529 now £329 plus £200 worth of free software and stuff.lol. Its online aswell

Ade
JRD

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 05:34:42 PM »

If its just for browsing the Internet?

Have you thought about an iPad?

Always on, no boot time, locked down, virus free.

You can pick up an iPad 2 for that money or even an iPad 3

Barely use my laptop nowadays (apart from photo editing, downloading). iPad just so convenient and used every day!

wyrd bið ful aræd - Fate is inexorable
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 05:35:50 PM »

As Nap says Asus are good machines, though I can't say I've got my finger on the pulse of what,s hot in the laptop world Grin
I bought one a few weeks ago from, of all places, Asda, for a very good price. Have a look here;
http://direct.asda.com/Laptops/4061,default,sc.html
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 08:55:47 PM »

Like Napoleon I would recoomend the HP Pavillion g6. I paid £499 for mine last year so £329 is a bargain. I also had never owned a laptop before getting mine. The HP Pavillion is excellent and I am well satisfied with mine. If you missed that PC world offer I bet if you went in tomorrow they would still let you have it.

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 09:24:52 PM »

I'm with JRD. Gotta be a Mac.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
Nick

Minelab SE Pro & CS4pi user

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 08:56:04 PM »

I've had an iPad for a few years now, not a bad piece of kit.

Just bought a Google Nexus 7, £199, half the price of an iPad.
Must admit very impressed up 'til now, Great for browsing the interweb
and you can play lots of free games as well.

Only bad point....front facing camera (very strange).
peanut

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 10:51:56 AM »

hi folks looking to buy a descent new laptop up to £300 - £400 never owned one so would like a bit of help please, not for games just the internet really cheers. Wink
                                                            All advice is much appreciated.

lots of good laptops around but I'd advise you to think of how you intend to use it before selecting one.

One of the most limiting factors is the screen size . lots of huge 17"+ screens out there but most are now widescreen which is brilliant for movies but absolutely useless for regular Word and Excell useage due to the ratio of height to width of the screen.

I have used a HP Pavillion DV7 17" for a couple of years now and to be honest I hate the thing. Well to be honest I just hate laptops period . The screen height is just 8.5"  and with Windows 7 taskbars , sidebars and all the other information bars at the top and bottom of the screen it seriously reduces the vertical viewing area.

If you are used to using a 22" +  LCD screen you'll probably find a laptop's work area restrictive for surfing and word /excel type applications. you need to consider the screen's 'aspect ratio' and the screens 'native resolution' carefully.

Whatever you do don't choose a laptop with the combined mousepad and buttons . These abominations should have been phased out by now but i expect there will be a few on offer here and there.
With these, you cannot rest a finger on the left or right  mouse button ready toselect something at the same time as using another finger on the mouse pad part to move the cursor on the screen or scroll the page. My advice would be to select a laptop with seperate pad and mouse buttons .

larger laptops 17"+ generally have provision for 2x hard disc drives make sure that you either have 2x drives fitted or it is supplied with the caddy and connecting cable for fitting a second hard drive. i had to order my second caddy and cable from the US because the HP Pavillion DV7 came without them!

As others have said you need to think how you intend to use the laptop. Because we spend a lot of time  ,in the garden, conservatory  and out camping in our RV and surfing whilst watching tv we decided to buy ourselves a 10" netbook each which is brilliant for carting about and sitting on your knee . We even use them in bed for downloading TV programes and general surfing or reading books on them. I would imagine an Iplayer or tablet type netbook would be even better.

If like me you are a togger and spend a lot of your time editing pictures and videos and business bookkeeping /company accounts etc you'll probably  need a large hi-res screen with plenty of memory and dual hard drive . its horses for courses Grin

« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:02:11 AM by peanut » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal