Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Cotswold Rally at Chedworth a great success  (Read 12523 times)
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2012, 06:50:06 PM »

Well i for one, do hope that the object is handed in for recording. Simply because it adds to the vast database of knowledge.

Whilst i appreciate the PAS scheme is voluntary, if our hobby is to have any credibility at all, then recording all finds is incumbent on participants.

In my opinion, failure to record just plays into the hands of those who wish to have the hobby stopped.

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
anthonyjay

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2012, 07:08:03 PM »

Well put Alan. Whilst I was  there on  Sunday I was made aware of two known night hawkers. When asked if they were recording anything the reply was a firm NO although they admitted they had found 'stuff'. The PAS database not only records our past, but is also available for any research etc. It would be a sorry day if metal detecting were to be eventually curtailed through the lack of recording etc. Why feed the monkey when he can play withhis own nuts.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2012, 07:18:11 PM »

Hi Anthony, i can concur that the research aspect is extremely important. I have, on several occasions, been asked to return a find for further examination along with others from across the country. The PAS scheme is unique and is regarded as a very important research tool, by many.

As an individual detectorist who, along with many others, contributes to the scheme, i am only to pleased to be able to have something recorded which can only further our academic knowledge and understanding.

relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2012, 07:26:50 PM »

I am all for recording finds to my local Flo although half the items she has not got a clue what they are  Huh

What qualifications do you need for the job, and is the money good, as I will apply for a job myself

I have a CSE 2 in archaeology,i also have a copy of spinks

I just think the treasure act concerning plated and glided items needs scrapping

Most gilded items are returned to the finders after an inquest and its a waste of tax payers money

Who was these nighthawks then do you care to name them for the good of the hobby

Deus 2013

Hammies: 32
Saxon gilded saucer brooch 1
Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2012, 07:41:33 PM »

There are FLO vacancies, feel free to apply. As for naming and shaming ... sorry, that won;t be allowed on this website. There are other more formal channels available to deal with illegal activities.

relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2012, 07:57:05 PM »

I think all nighthawks should be named and shamed

Deus 2013

Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
Metalmickey

Fisher F75 User.Some Men are Wise, Some Otherwise!

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2012, 08:01:45 PM »

Why do certain individuals insist on dictating to others on what they should or should not do  Huh
Just get out there & detect, enjoy & do as you like with any finds, don`t let others try to make it more than it is, it`s a hobby & enjoyable pastime, that`s all.  Wink

If you want to understand today, you have to search for yesterday !!
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2012, 08:02:07 PM »

Providing people have the evidence of such illegal activity, then the correct process is for them to report such persons to the police who can investigate the matter accordingly.

There have been at least 2 high profile prosecutions of nighthawkers this year [with more to come before the year end is out]. With both cases receiving press coverage and along with that comes the naming and shaming.

anthonyjay

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2012, 08:11:41 PM »

I'm really sorry but at the moment I cannot name the nighthawks until I have permission from the person who told me. It is difficult for me to name my informant as he is holds an important position and I would not wish to endanger his standing. I will of course ask him. Sorry I can't help
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2012, 08:34:47 PM »

NEVER trust 2nd hand information, it's very dangerous.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
avalon

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2012, 08:49:40 PM »

I'm really sorry but at the moment I cannot name the nighthawks until I have permission from the person who told me. It is difficult for me to name my informant as he is holds an important position and I would not wish to endanger his standing. I will of course ask him. Sorry I can't help

The problem with naming and shaming nighthawkers, is the word slander and libel, I think if you have positive information and evidence you should release it. Then pass the information over to the police.

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2012, 09:03:57 PM »

Bearing in mind that if you plaster their names all over the internet, then a prosecution can become nigh on impossible as finding unadulterated and non biassed evidence wont be possible.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2012, 09:07:08 PM »

anthonyjay do you detect your self ?

I am sure you were taking photos for Kurt at the rally

I found stuff at the rally and I did not record any of it,I was to busy detecting, and then at the end of the day I wanted to get home and not be held up.

in fact everything I found is on this thread, what I found was nothing exciting or of nation importance

And yes 2nd hand information, is very dangerous and can be libellous,so be very careful who your accusing

Deus 2013

Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
anthonyjay

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2012, 12:51:16 AM »

I do detect when I'm able and yes I was photographing for Kurt on the Sunday. I'm still processing the pics for him and hope to have them delivered this week. I'm aware of slander etc and I would not divulge the names but if I were at a rally and with friends I would be prepared to point them out. I did ask why nothing had been done about them but was told 'It's catching them at it which is difficult'. Where he aquired his info I do not know but I do trust him, that is all I can say. Hope that helps. PS: I was talking to several friends I had not seen for some years and it could have been one of them who told me. If I see any of you at the next dig please feel free to ask me more.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 02:04:38 AM by anthonyjay » Logged
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2012, 04:12:24 PM »

So how does the treasure act measure the silvered,or  gold glided on an item to work out whether it makes up 10% by weight

still waiting for an answer from Kurt  Huh

Deus 2013

Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal