Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Minelab XS: Fast and Deep, or, Fast or Deep?  (Read 13861 times)
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« on: August 31, 2012, 07:45:05 PM »

I have had my XS for twelve years and in that time have had more than my fair share of success. After having had it for 6 months I attended a rally and got into a conversation with another user. He asked me if I had it set on Fast and Deep. I said that I thought it could only be used in one or the other functions. He informed me that all the users that were 'finding' were running their machines in both modes at the same time. I heeded his advice and my finds rate increased rapidly.

About 7 years ago at the first big Weekend Wanderers dig at Wantage, my mate and I discussed this with Desmond Dunne, who was in attendance specifically to discuss the use of the XS. Although coy at first, he admitted that when the XS first came out they were getting feedback from users in Oz that they were achieving better results by running the XS in Fast and Deep at the same time. It is not something that is recommended in the manual, and he said it should be inconceivable that the two functions should work together. However, he admitted that it seems that for some reason beyond comprehension that they had hit on something that defied explanation.

I realise that my increased success may have just been a case of getting used to the machine and getting better land etc. I am
interested in hearing the views of other XS users and how they use the Fast and Deep functions
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 08:43:28 PM by cardiffian » Logged

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 09:29:08 PM »

Interesting thread Alan, I honestly have to say that I've never tried both on as like you say, all the information says "Don't". Using the SEF coils I've found it better to run with both off and a slight increase of signal on low conductor when fast is on.
You have roused my curiosity enough for me to give it a go Huh I'll try some tests on some test peices tomorrow and see what it can do with both turned "ON"
Watch this space Wink
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 10:07:50 PM »

Hi Geoff. Since that time I have never taken it off of fast and deep. Speaking to Desmond Dunne reaffirmed this this for me. I realise that it could be that my finds rate improved with better sites etc. However. I feel that Desmond Dunne's comments 7 years down the line indicate to me that once they became aware of it they were not able to disprove what they were being told.

Last year I felt that my machine, or I, wasn't performing. I found that somehow I was in only one of the settings. I put them both back on and felt my finds rate once more improved. Again, it could be coincidental and a state of mind thing. I will be interested to see how you get on with your tests. I may try to experiment a bit myself on a proven and productive site. Maybe an hour on different parts of a field, on each setting, with the last hour running on both and see how my finds rate compares.

Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
imnotginger

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 02:25:25 AM »

Very interesting post im going to give this a go over the weekend  Wink
Mungo

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 06:13:17 AM »

i run both "on " , on my explorer 11................  Cool you ought to buy an Ultimate 13 "coil of Chef Geoff and whack that on , im sure you'll be pleasantly surprised   Grin Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 06:15:26 AM by Mungo » Logged
anthonyjay

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 08:09:13 AM »

That is a very interesting topic. I've had my XS Mk 1, 12 years and only on a couple of occasions run it on both Fast & Deep together, without noticing any improvement in finds etc, but that is because I  kept thinking I was running wrong. I will re-set mine and see how it all goes. If Desmond D says it's Ok then that is good enough for me.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 03:09:46 PM »

I have always run my ExplorerII in fast and deep mode - I am pretty happy with the results. Although it is time to update my coil - be chatting to you tomorrow about it Cheffy!

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 03:49:02 PM »

Neil you are certainly loosing things using both with the Exp II Sad
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »

well he's not doing bad the jammy old git Grin

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 04:05:26 PM »

A simple question would be, how many cut quarters and halves?
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 03:32:52 PM »

so what was the outcome guys...i know this is an old thread but i have recently acquired the xs ...was very interestedin the  tests results?

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 05:18:40 PM »

i run both "on " , on my explorer 11................  Cool you ought to buy an Ultimate 13 "coil of Chef Geoff and whack that on , im sure you'll be pleasantly surprised   Grin Grin Grin Grin

I was (i.e how my find rate changed after putting the Ulitmate coil on) Smiley
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 07:38:02 PM »

The chap that found the gold bracelet was using a minelab se pro with a self coil and he had his set to deep.

cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 08:10:28 PM »

Hi Legio. I didn't get round to do my test. Was struggling with the weight and am now not using the Explorer XS. Using a Deus now with the Explorer as a back up. Will be interesting to hear if Geoff carried out any tests.

Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 08:15:33 PM »

deadlock set to deep only i presume not fast at same time?cardiff-how do you compare both machines other than weight im guessing not a lot in it ? ,yes cmon geoff did you do the test?i have geoffs  old machine be interested in results

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal