Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: DetectingWales.com - Rally Number Four Rooksbridge 02/05/09. Hammeredfest!  (Read 29499 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: May 02, 2009, 07:55:33 PM »

We crossed the bridge today for the first DetectingWales.com rally in England!

As usual the weather had been arranged and was official scorchio. We also managed to arrange an astounding 13 hammered coins, 3 milled silver coins, 2 silver spoons and some other quality items!

Jaydogg, Mark, Digger and I left Cardiff early and following a brief stop at the services where Mark bought the smallest coffees know to man we arrived at the location. Wink

The rabble met at 10am with parking on one of the fields. After a quick morning snack of individual Birthday cakes courtesy of the Birthday Boy [Geoff - nice touch mate!} I gave a quick overview of the history of the area, where we could go and where we couldn't go and a warning about the huge piles of human excreament in the field waiting to be spread. I think I phrased it as "Please avoid the piles of human rubbish!"   Shocked - not perhaps the most sensitive approach, but it got the point over. Anyway following that we were off!

The first find after only an hour that was brought to my attention was courtesy of Chef and was probably the best coin I have seen found on any of our rallies for detail. It being a hammered silver groat of Edward - unclipped and in prestine condition. Well done mate - a cracking find!

Shortly after a shout came over regarding a hammered silver half groat of Elizabeth found in the parking field by a father and son team. I think the finder was Ademinelab - another beauty - it looked like it was going to be another good day for DetectingWales members. Roll Eyes

I stopped to tell one of the Hereford boys about the finds, and he then produced a tiny silver coin with a man holding a staff on it. First thoughts were Saxon! Second thoughts were a Soldino as we could see Sol on it and thats what it turned out to be! I think it was Benny that found it [correct me if I'm wrong].

3 hammered in an hour - does it get any better than that? You bet your life it does!

I headed into the field with just 4 cars in it and saw The Jinx who had managed to find a beauty of a buckle with its pin still intact. I gave him some bubble wrap to put it in {I always have it on me if anyone needs some!}  The Jinx I found out later had managed to lose it somehow and we are now changing his name to Barry Lost Buckle! Grin Did anyone find it?

Next I returned to the main parking field and saw a hammered coin from Casa Dos who also found a silver spoon stamped 800 which is continental silver. Simon Chiles then upped the ante with a hammered coin in nice condition. Soft Top then got in on the game with a hammered coin of Edward. Jaydogg then steamed in with a William III silver shilling. What was this Silverfest 2009?

Ancient Pats son had a cracking lead dice - whos opposite sides dont add up to 7! Didn't we just talk about that on the site recently? I think its at the very least medieval and possibly Roman. Although I like Pats idea that the numerous hammered coins and a dice may represent gambling taking place on the site.

The Jinx promptly redemeed himself for his earlier loss with a Henry cut half, which he managed to keep hold of this time!

Then ancient Pat thought he would steal the day yet again with not one, not two, but three hammered coins! One of which was a Groat. Hammered coins galore - what a day!

Other finds included Tynas lead donkey head, a couple of decent buttons, a silver strip of filigree work, an ornate button, several other hammered coins, and numerous other bits. Steven King also had a beauty of a silver spoon - possibly Georgian or earlier.

I managed to find a silver ball - possibly from a rattle and a  Hans Krauwinkle jetton that has seen better days, a lead spoon, couple of buttons and the best George II penny I have ever found. Not my best day, but I was happy.

The rally was coming to a close and I think most people were content with the day all in all. Thanks for coming along and supporting this site - I hope the sunburn isn't too bad! Grin

There are more Rallies scheduled for the near future. so stay tuned to the only detecting web site in Wales that offers rallies for its participants. As far as I know we are also the only website in the UK that does this, and I am guessing possibly in the whole World! Does anyone know of any other sites that do the same? I would be interested to know.

Cheers
Neil
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 12:29:10 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »

More

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 07:58:10 PM »

Even more

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 07:59:17 PM »

Still more to come!

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 08:00:37 PM »

A couple more!

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 08:01:39 PM »

When will it end?

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 08:03:31 PM »

They keep coming!

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 08:05:09 PM »

The end must be in sight soon!

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 08:07:02 PM »

Almost there!

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »

The end - Pats coins!

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 08:09:31 PM »

Thank God for that!

I took over 130 photos!

cheers
Neil
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 08:12:37 PM by Neil » Logged

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 08:11:48 PM »

Got a bit of video guys , sounds really windy.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 08:13:39 PM »

Please note the William III Shilling has a B below the bust making
it a scarcer coin from the provincial mint of Bristol....PaulB.

Greetings from the Dragon.
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 08:20:02 PM »

looks like  another brill day was had by all      some excellent finds there ............  just wish i could of made it   never mind  next time ......................... lovely to see the vids on here too  specially the talking ducks  lol

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
benny

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »

Like to say thanks to everyone for a great day today,i've now got red shoulders and neck due to a sun/vest combo!The Soldino is of Leonardo Loredan dating between 1501-1521(just looked it up on ukdfd)and is a first for me! Thats a stunning groat that came out today. So,what was this special find that turned up on the test dig the other day cos we couldn' beat it out of Neil or Rob!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal