Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats your favourite type of ground to detect on ?  (Read 6956 times)
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« on: August 22, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »

Guys I think newer detectorists can learn from this thread. For a long time my favourite type of ground was stubble, why ? Well its because I convinced myself that hammered coins were too deep for my dfx in pasture. I ended up with 40+ hammered coins most of which were rubbish due to constant ploughing.

As soon as I found my first pasture hammered which was in lovely condition to all my others, my mind was made up on pasture. But then pasture does not get replenished with ploughing so I'm leaning back to stubble again.

What I know I dont like is ploughed, I just find it awkward to navigate and I find the Etrac rubbish on ploughed.

I've tried Beach detecting and my hat goes off to Badgers for his persistence I just cant get into it.

So what is your favourite type of ground and have you written off a specific type due to bad experience ? What do you find affects the ground for your machine.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:08:09 PM by Tafflaff (Rob) » Logged

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 01:14:03 PM »

One full of finds and not shotgun caps! Grin Grin Grin

All joking aside - I'm a pasture man. Less damage to the item and can on occasion be considered to be found in context.

Not a fan of ploughed to be honest, although I do quite like soft stubble.

At the end of the day if its available I wont turn it down!

cheers
Neil
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:21:29 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 02:13:14 PM »

Old pasture ..with more chance of recovering a complete arfefact and no fertilizer  Grin
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 02:44:39 PM »

pasture  ( with gold coins in. ) Wink
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 03:21:33 PM »

old well nibbled pasture is my favourite , dont mind old woodland but shotty caps can drive a sane man crazy after a while  but i had my only saxon penny from a shotty filled wood so worth all the junk in the end

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
geordiefred

Bristol

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 03:26:40 PM »

Well never found very much on ploughed and beaches only seem to turn up modern coins and junk rings for me, ( mind you wish I had a quid for everyone that's asked if Iv found any buried treasure yet?  Grin ) stubble just does my head in so it has to be pasture  Wink

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"
 You have to grow old, but growing up is entirely optional
win

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 05:14:16 PM »

Maize stubble. Dead easy to navigate, figure where you've been and want to go next.
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 05:56:16 PM »

pasture for me..... Wink.....but i do like the occasional ploughed, if only to have some easier digging...... Grin.......byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
beachboy (viv)

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 06:01:39 PM »

for me anywhere if there is a chance of a good find  Grin Grin Grin Grin but i do like pasture its easier to walk on  Wink.viv
jonty

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 06:33:56 PM »

Muddy estuaries with with areas of shingle.
Debbie

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 07:43:09 PM »

stubble .... stubble ............ stubble ............... stubble ............. stubble ............stubble .... stubble ............ stubble ............... stubble ............. stubble ............stubble .... stubble ............ stubble ............... stubble ............. stubble ............stubble .... stubble ............ stubble ............... stubble ............. stubble ............
did I mention that my favourite land to detect on is STUBBLE  Grin   Grin    Grin
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 07:49:34 PM »

Hayledge fields are my favourite. Cut twice or even three times a year and turned over every four and re-seeded.
Mostly sheep grazing in between in the winter.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 08:08:38 PM »

Guys I think newer detectorists can learn from this thread. For a long time my favourite type of ground was stubble, why ? Well its because I convinced myself that hammered coins were too deep for my dfx in pasture. I ended up with 40+ hammered coins most of which were rubbish due to constant ploughing.

As soon as I found my first pasture hammered which was in lovely condition to all my others, my mind was made up on pasture. But then pasture does not get replenished with ploughing so I'm leaning back to stubble again.

What I know I dont like is ploughed, I just find it awkward to navigate and I find the Etrac rubbish on ploughed.

I've tried Beach detecting and my hat goes off to Badgers for his persistence I just cant get into it.

So what is your favourite type of ground and have you written off a specific type due to bad experience ? What do you find affects the ground for your machine.
I have been detecting since the 1980s  Grin, and have almost always searched ploughed land! despite having access to what would be deemed productive pasture. So this year I am making a conscious effort to rectify as clearly the less a coin or artifact is moved around by farm machinery the better condition it is likely to be in when found, also depending what county / area you are in many farms no longer plough due to costs, and farming practices and thus as is with some of my farms, find rates can diminish. Angry
avalon

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 08:11:50 PM »

I would say ploughed and rolled produces the most objects for me,but for sheer quality and condition then it has to be woodland on a hillside, untouched by the plough or chemicals, a bit like this coin  Grin

* ANTONIA AUREUS.jpg (74.43 KB, 667x300 - viewed 778 times.)

JohnF

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 09:34:55 PM »

I've had some of my best finds on pasture, thats a corker of a coin, Avalon.  Shocked

You wont find a thing if you aint got that swing.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal