Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Bridgwater rally video  (Read 15566 times)
avalon

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 06:30:12 PM »

Excellent 'atmospheric' video Steve.
It’s nice to get people chatting, rather than just showing find after find coming out the ground, makes the video more interesting.

Although I was even more interested in the Minelab CTX3030 Grin

relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 06:37:33 PM »

Nice video Steve,ah the gold test I remember it well,not many machines will even pick it up on the surface

I notice a member on here has taken it upon himself to post a direct link from detecting Wales thread, and show the video on the Blisstool forum

Is this allowed  Huh

I would not like to think that anything I post is been shown on other forums,without permission
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:39:47 PM by relichunting » Logged

Deus 2013

Hammies: 32
Saxon gilded saucer brooch 1
Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
avalon

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 06:46:30 PM »

No problem Shaun, it's just the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants who has to pay £500 a time Grin Oh and Gordon Hemorrhoid from MLO TV  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:52:00 PM by avalon » Logged

JBM

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 09:23:17 PM »

I enjoyed the video and we all know that the CTX3030 is not Gods gift to metal detectorists.

Its OK having GPS and even been made aware of the time but not at the expense of missing gold. Wink :)Jerry.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 05:45:46 PM »

Great Vid that makes me want to have been their even more. Following on from the Hereford Rally it was nice to see the £2000,00 be all and end all of detectors fail with the Bronze Age Gold. Thanks for posting Sir.
avalon

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 07:39:53 PM »

I never thought in a million years it would find it, but I have an open mind and you can’t diss a machine before you test it. I will continue to test machines this season, and try a few more Minelab CTX 3030 on it. If you require GPS mapping then this is the machine for you, but it’s not the Golden Goose, it will not go where other machines have feared to tread, it is no better than all the other top of the range machines, but if you fall in a deep puddle then you’ll be fine down to 3m. Grin

What I will do next is produce a list of machines that  will find it or respond in a positive way at a set depth. This is not meant to be a test to knock any particular machine, but just see what they are capable of. I don’t give a stuff what machines finds it, as long as it’s a descent signal , which you would dig.
I think we would all like to know, why some machines are responding better than others on a fragment of gold.

cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 07:45:23 PM »

Out of curiosity Steve have you tried the Explorer XS on it? If so, how did it fare?

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 07:47:24 PM by cardiffian » Logged

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
avalon

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 07:56:56 PM »

Out of curiosity Steve have you tried the Explorer XS on it?

Yes, it's on an earlier video somewhere. What I will do is produce a tick chart, and take it along to the Central Searchers rally and test 100+ machines on it. I will give everyone equal opportunaly to tweak their machines for best performance and see what the results are.
If anyone can think of a fairer way, let me know.

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 08:40:56 PM »

I think as we said Steve the problem with machines finding it is the shape of the gold not the gold itself. So you have got to ask how many pieces of gold are out there with that exact size and shape, not many I would imagine. As far as I've seen only the G2 has given a "good" signal when it's buried and with normal settings and of course that is marketed as a gold machine, have you tried the GoldBug as it's meant to be the same?. Minelabs are no good at small gold, in fact most VLF machines have trouble with micro jewellery. A sobering fact is that I remember finding two gold earring backs with a Whites Coinmaster 5 TR machine (pre VLF) back in the 70's, so have we progressed?
doddy10

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 09:00:02 PM »

The goldbug and G2 both find it, however in reality it is not a true test and only causes you to doubt your machine.

The sceat I found was with my Etrac and gave a small, but very positive signal. It was about 3" deep. I reburied it so a couple of friends could test their machines and both machines found it ok ( F75 and minelab 705), but I couldn't get a signal at all on my Etrac and yet I found it with it. Ait tests and items recently buried do not give true tests, have confidence in your machine and you will find !
avalon

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 09:10:39 PM »

I think an anwser will be to send it off to the various manufacturers and test the machines in a lab environment on a oscilloscope, spectrum analyser and waveform generator, and see what's going on. It would be in the interest of all detector users, and as you say Geoff it is a strange shape but how many people find Saxon Thrysmas, probably only a handfull of people, this maybe the reason why.

Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012, 11:48:21 PM »

I'll put in my 2pence worth here.

I found a coin sized piece of chopped gold at the Ham Hill dig with my Etrac. I was searching in all metal with sensitivity turned down coz they wanted to find items close to the surface. It was a squarish shape and cut from a gold plate or cup. It was about 6 inches down and gave a good, clear, diggable signal.
The display showed 16/30 and the audio signal was a high squeek, more like the sound modern coins give.

I had found a silver iron age coin 4 inches down the day before with the same settings so the Etrac is capable of finding these objects. I wonder if the gold object you are using is difficult to pick up because of the air gap caused by the plastic bag you keep it in.

My CScope also picked up both coins but was giving confused signals and bounced around a bit by the way.

Eric

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold
9 Roman Brooches
4 Copper Knobs
30 Buckles
1 med dagger hilt
1 Roman Spoon
2x Silver Gilt Treasure items
avalon

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 06:33:21 AM »

Hi Meatslicer most silver coinage will give a good reading unless it’s very small, thin or debased. Many of the gold items we often find are 9-18ct and contain a percentage of silver, so this helps give a better signal.  24ct gold in the form of a gold stater, noble or guinea seems to offer enough surface area  to produce a good signal without  much of a problem.

I think the problem begins when you find a thin gold ring with a break in it or a small piece of jewellery which is misshapen. Perhaps this confuses the circuitry into thinking the item is iron, so ignores it.

We have all experienced signals which are iffy only to dig them and as we get closer to the item, gives a cracking signal, and you think to yourself you could have walked away from that thinking it was junk.

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2012, 07:09:13 AM »

As Steve says silver will always give a good signal as it is the best conductor by a mile, copper is next and gold, unfortunately, is in last place of the metals we tend to search for. But one slight correction, adding silver or copper to gold to produce a lesser carat, logically should give better conductivity but in fact increases it's resistivity and therefore lessens it's conductivity. Wink
JBM

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2012, 09:56:06 AM »

This came from across the big pond a few years back.  Wink Jerry.

* Gold Chains3.jpg (336.21 KB, 1000x1028 - viewed 912 times.)

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal