Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: You dirty Rat!  (Read 7252 times)
avalon

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 09:04:10 PM »

Adie  & Lovekin appear to be the pin cushion equivalent  of  what Carl Faberge  is to eggs.  There are far more people worldwide who collect sewing memorabilia than Roman, Celtic and Saxon objects.  As a 2000 year  old Roman brooch would struggle to sell for £50.00, yet a hundred year old pin cushion, people would pay silly money for it.

Which reminds me of a find I made long before the Treasure Act grabbed everything that glinted of precious metal.
I  was detecting on a field near Gloucester in 1987 with an  old Compass Coin scanner. I had taken a friend to a new farm I had, where I had been  pulling up loads of Roman grots. My friend after an hour had found nothing so he demanded that we should swap area’s, which we did.

I walked over to where he had been detecting and lying on the surface was a lovely silver thimble. Well when I say a thimble it was probably the best one you could ever find. As it had a portrait on each side, one of Charles I and the other Henrietta Maria . I eventually sold it to a collector for £6000 which in those days was a lot of money , it could have bought a small family car. My only regrets is  I didn’t have a better picture of it as it was only 35 mm back in the good old days and all the pictures I had came out too dark, but this is the best image I have.

So if you find a 17th Century thimble you may be in the money.

* thimble.jpg (107.2 KB, 700x456 - viewed 1424 times.)

avalon

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 10:11:43 PM »

Lovely find Avalon. Any idea how much that other one sold for?

Not a lot of info about them, apart from my link. The common ones sell for between £350 -£500. One auction house today said a reserve of £500, but all you need is two bidders, then who knows.

nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 07:19:39 AM »

I think christies sold it for around 750....I think its a great item. I love and collect silver. I think you should have no problems selling well over the reserve price.

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
Radnor Bandit (Ian)

Keep banging them rocks together

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 05:57:33 PM »

looks like youve made a good contact in the silversmith there, should the rat have glass / paste eyes?
avalon

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 07:02:18 PM »

looks like youve made a good contact in the silversmith there, should the rat have glass / paste eyes?

No I don't think so Ian, looking at the other examples.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal