Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: MINELAB CTX3030  (Read 6209 times)
wayno

« on: June 11, 2012, 06:39:58 AM »

I see that there is a Minelab CTX 3030 on Ebay already
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mint-Condition-Minelab-Ctx3030-/280898711503?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item4166de2fcf

2014 using ctx3030  TIMES OUT -12
Hammered --6
Gold rings --3
 Other rings 1                   
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
kencomet

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 04:20:32 PM »

Surely two weeks is not long enough to assess the quality and performance of a new machine,or perhaps its not as good as Minelab would have us believe....
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 04:56:40 PM »

I tell new users of any FBS machine that if they think they have cracked it in under 12 months then they are either detecting too much or just plain fooling themselves Cheesy
There's quite a few detectorist even on here with a good number of years experience, who either don't want to accept or haven't bothered understanding how VLF technology works.
They look for the "magic" machine that will never and can't appear, it's the laws of physics. What one machine looses on the swings it will make up for on the roundabouts Wink
The CTX has rearranged the tones, so that certain targets are slightly easier to distinguish but I've got to be honest that from what I'm seeing is exactly the same improvements I found by using the new Ultimate coil. And after paying the grand sum of £130 for my Explorer XS, I just can't see the CTX being worth £1800 more  Grin
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 05:21:59 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 05:20:15 PM »

spot on geoff , been using an xs since august last year and still learning the little tones and settings , how someone can sell ANY  new machine after a month is a mystery to me ,  Undecided Undecided

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
jonty

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 08:02:19 PM »

After reading all the hype for the CTX 3030 on this and other forums, I was pleased to see the Searcher was doing a two part appraisal. I started to read the report and after a while realised I was not really interested in the detector. I considered it too expensive, too heavy, and most of its so called improvements I did not want. I have been a Minelab fan for many years, using an Explorer 11, but the CTX 3030 leaves me cold as it seems to have been designed as a detectorist's must have fashion accessory.

My mobile cost only a few pounds from a supermarket. I can make and receive calls on it - exactly what a phone is supposed to do. I just wish Minelab would adopt a similar policy and not design detectors with enough computer capability to send men to the moon and back

It has taken me a long time to realise I do not even need a display screen, as I seldom use it. My next detector will have decent controls for ground balance, sensitivity, and discrimination. It will give multi tone signals and I will let my ears do the rest. It will also be about a quarter the price of the CTX 3030 and be just over half the weight.

handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 08:05:36 PM »

My next detector will have decent controls for ground balance, sensitivity, and discrimination. It will give multi tone signals and I will let my ears do the rest. It will also be about a quarter the price of the CTX 3030 and be just over half the weight.

Wouldn't be a Garrett 250 by any chance  ......  Grin Grin Grin Grin

sorry jonty ... couldn't resist it!

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
jonty

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 10:42:17 PM »

No Alan , not a Garret 250
I have been seriously looking at the C Scope CS6MXi. It seems to meet all my requirements, and but for an unexpected £800 bill for my car, I would probably have had one by now.
It is quoted at £431 with free postage from Electronic City Wholesale.
This includes C Scope's 5 year parts and 2 year labour warranty. It weighs 3.2 lbs.
Compare this to the CTX 3030 -  its a no brainer.
If any members have first hand experience of this detector I would be very interested to read what they have to say.
Whiteduke

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 11:37:13 PM »

"The CTX has rearranged the tones, so that certain targets are slightly easier to distinguish but I've got to be honest that from what I'm seeing is exactly the same improvements I found by using the new Ultimate coil. And after paying the grand sum of £130 for my Explorer XS, I just can't see the CTX being worth £1800 more"

Not being funny mate,but based on what you said , wouldn't you have to use the  ctx for a year or more to come to that conclusion Undecided
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 07:12:57 AM »

Ahh! there's reading and there's understanding, not quite sure which one you didn't do Grin
I wrote....."I tell new users of any FBS machine" Having used them for twelve years I think I just miss out on the "new" tag. Wink

But as I said "from what I have seen" which is no substitute for using one, so it is a personal viewpoint and I can't see anyone lending me one for long enough to prove it one way or the other, which means my last comment stands..."after paying the grand sum of £130 for my Explorer XS, I just can't see the CTX being worth £1800 more"
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 07:24:18 AM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Whiteduke

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 10:44:21 AM »

Oh I understood,

What you paid for your xs is irrelevant,correct me if I'm wrong they were £1000 new back around
2000?

I could easily give my xs away,if the receiver of my xs based all  future  detectors
purchases against the price of the xs (£0),his opinions on comparing any new machine against his xs
would some what be distorted yes?(just an example)
and if I'm right that's the trap you have fallen into . Smiley

I've done a quick calculation £1000 in 2000 had the buying power of £1400 today.(which buys you a Deus
and change)

So is the ctx3030 worth £600 more than the basic xs ?,i haven't a clue
and seeing as its only been out a couple of months,i doubt anyone else does. Wink

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 11:25:27 AM »

Well now you've moved the goal posts Huh your first point was whether it would take 12 months to learn Roll Eyes But....
Very true the relative costs through time are not as great but I'm talking about the real price now.
But we can use the SE Pro...is the CTX worth £1000 more? My answer is the same, no, I don't believe it is it's the same technology. Yes there are extras on it, but the usefulness of these is relative to the user and so I guess, to some it's worth every penny but as a metal detector, and lets face it that's what we buy them for, it does not have any great advances and in fact I wouldn't be surprised if the target unmasking has more to do with the coil.
But as I said I haven't used one, so the proof will come in the form of old grounds producing new harvests of finds, so we shall wait and see, but I'm not holding my breath. Wink
Whiteduke

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 12:09:57 PM »

Well i couldn't really reply to the 12 month learning statement.

some people take 10 lessons to pass a driving test, some take 50
and some never pass

apply this to using a metal detector with competence
 and the results would probably mirror this in variance.

And for the record i probably fall into the never pass category with the XS

But hey ,i can do other things Cool

rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 02:57:03 PM »

spot on geoff , been using an xs since august last year and still learning the little tones and settings , how someone can sell ANY  new machine after a month is a mystery to me ,  Undecided Undecided

I have seen one detectorist sell a machine with less than 4 hours use!  Grin

The CTX hasn't been out two weeks.......   Huh

relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 05:07:50 PM »

I have seen one detectorist sell a machine with less than 4 hours use!  Grin

The CTX hasn't been out two weeks.......   Huh

I expect that detectorist was experienced enough to realise the machine was not suitable for 75% of his sites

Or maybe he just knowes how to use a Deus, and thought it was a waste of money having two machines  Grin

Deus 2013

Hammies: 32
Saxon gilded saucer brooch 1
Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
JBM

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 06:20:30 PM »

Just watching a video showing what salt water is doing to the various screw heads. Angry

Whatever the reason its not very nice to spend £1999 on a machine to use in water and get tatty looking screw heads for your trouble. Shocked

Not much help if you put it up for resale as it would put a punter off spending all that sort of money.

In my boating days we had quality stainless nuts and bolts they never corroded.Jerry..

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal