Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dad finds valuable 17th century ring during metal hunt  (Read 1369 times)
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« on: June 03, 2012, 10:53:38 AM »

A medieval ring discovered by a metal detecting dad could be worth thousands of pounds.

Shaun Terriss, 46, struck gold when he unearthed the ring inches below pasture land on a metal hunt with a friend.

A treasure inquest heard he regularly searched the grounds at Kenfield Hall in Petham with permission from the landowner and also belonged to a metal detecting club.

Experts from the British Museum estimate the ring is from the 17th century, but were unable to say who it belonged to.

The ring itself is made from gold but also includes a diamond with white enamel. It weighed in at three grams and had a Latin inscription ‘Et anulum et animan’, which translates as ‘I give you both this ring and my soul’.

Coroner Rebecca Cobb took just 30 minutes to declare it as a treasure at Canterbury Coroners’ Court on Thursday.

She said she was satisfied the ring contained more than 10% of precious metal to qualify as treasure under the Treasue Act 1966, congratulating Mr Terriss on his discovery. The ring was found in July.

Speaking after the inquest, Mr Terriss said he had been metal detecting for four years after it was recommended to him by a friend.

He said: “I was asked if I wanted to start metal detecting just as a bit of exercise, my kids thought it was hilarious.

“I’ve never found anything like this before. It is rare and it is special but it’s unfortunate we don’t know who it belongs to. We think it must be the nobility.

“I’m interested in history as well, as we think it may be 16th century but we will have to wait and see what the British Musuem says.

“Canterbury Museum has expressed an interest and we think it may be valued in the high thousands.”

Mr Terriss says any sale of the ring is likely to be divided 50/50 between himself and landowner Barnaby Swirecorr as part of a contractual agreement.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal