Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: porthcawl beach  (Read 20046 times)
imnotginger

« on: May 28, 2012, 10:50:12 AM »

Anyone go here detecting ? missis has booked a caravan down there and the detector is coming with me  Grin
peanut

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 11:05:22 AM »

Hi Imnotgingerbutstrawburyblonde! Grin

never detected there myself but if you look on the Crown Estates website they have a coastal map showing where they own the coastline .
Have a look here http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/media/199747/metal_south_wales.pdf

if it covers where you want to detect you can download a free Crown Estates Beach metal detecting permit in case anyone asks you .
http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/marine/metal-detecting/

You might check with the local council too in case they lease the beach and have any policy regarding metal detecting. basically if there is no sign up saying you can't detect you should be ok.

Are you a member of FID ? and have insurance  
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 11:09:10 AM by peanut » Logged
imnotginger

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 11:09:12 AM »

FID ? what insurance do i need ?? ( new to this )
Whiteduke

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 01:53:19 PM »

I wouldn't worry about insurance and permits for the beach,there isn't any signs up
saying you need one,ignorance is a great tool for MD.

I have never been approached on any beach about a permit.
I have been approached by scantly clad females on the beach.
but you wont have that problem being ginger Smiley
imnotginger

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 04:49:54 PM »

hahaha im strawberry blond   Cool
peanut

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 10:02:40 PM »

FID ? what insurance do i need ?? ( new to this )

I would strongly recommend that you ignore the previous advice . Ignorance is never accepted in Court as a legitimate excuse for not knowing about trespass or illegal actions.

Portcawl beach is owned by the Crown Estate . If anyone catches you detecting there without a permit you'd probably be prosecuted.They have done so previously and the detectorists detector was confiscated . A permit is completely free so why would anyone not bother to download a permit and carry it ?

NCMD or FID its only £8.00 quid a year for £10million civil liability  insurance and free legal advice . If you inadvertently or accidently cause any damage or loss  to others whilst detecting you are covered. Only a fool would advise not having the cover and if you ever  intend to attend any detecting rallies it will definitely be a requirement .
Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 10:24:59 PM »

Technically the crown owns the beach between high and low tide marks. As long as you have a permit (as mentioned, free and downloadable as long as the web site doesn't crash like it did a few months ago) there is no reason not to access the areas you want to on porthcawl beach. Rest bay is probably a better bet only because it is easier to search because it gets water covering it completely at high tide, and it has a lot of activity from surfers who are notoriously good at losing their jewellery/money/other bits.

The other side of porthcawl is Merthyr mawr, the warrens and coney beach. Lots of roman activity there but beware the scheduled areas in the dunes at merthyr mawr.

Eric

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold
9 Roman Brooches
4 Copper Knobs
30 Buckles
1 med dagger hilt
1 Roman Spoon
2x Silver Gilt Treasure items
Whiteduke

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 10:28:06 PM »

"I would strongly recommend that you ignore the previous advice"

Ok I will give in to the fact that theres no need not to have a permit,
Ive been detecting on and off for 35 years and never once had to produce a permit on a beach.
Maybe I'm just lucky Cheesy

But why would you possibly want insurance on a beach,i think you could do more damage with a beach ball if I'm honest.
Suppose you could knock someones sandcastle over,not sure the cps would be interested in that.
jonty

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 10:54:05 PM »

I concur with Whiteduke. I've lived in Porthcawl  since 1982 and detected on the beach opposite the fair and on Rest Bay all that time. Never ever heard about a permit and never been asked for one. We seem to give ourselves problems that are not there.
peanut

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 07:54:16 PM »

you may not have had a problem personally but others have been less fortunate and been prosecuted. There was a female detectorist on the I O Wight recently that was prosecuted.

To recommend to a novice detectorists that are  just starting out, to NOT comply with the Law and obtain a permit is simply irresponsible. I can only assume that you two are the sort of detectorists that think nothing of detecting on other people's land  without getting permission !

Regarding insurance......... if you cannot see the advantage of paying £8.00 for £10 million pounds cover for any eventuallity I can only assume that you are the type of person that has no building and contents insurance to cover your detector and equipment whilst out of the house ?
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 08:42:58 PM »

Anyway, Porthcawl beach (in front of the funfair) and Rest Bay are not Crown Estate property.

I don't know who does own them, but these beaches have been detected for many years and as far as I am aware no-one will stop you.
jonty

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 09:11:20 PM »

Just to let you know peanut, I find your comments offensive. You do not have a clue what kind of detectorist I am.
Whiteduke

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 11:30:23 PM »

you may not have had a problem personally but others have been less fortunate and been prosecuted. There was a female detectorist on the I O Wight recently that was prosecuted.

To recommend to a novice detectorists that are  just starting out, to NOT comply with the Law and obtain a permit is simply irresponsible. I can only assume that you two are the sort of detectorists that think nothing of detecting on other people's land  without getting permission !

Regarding insurance......... if you cannot see the advantage of paying £8.00 for £10 million pounds cover for any eventuallity I can only assume that you are the type of person that has no building and contents insurance to cover your detector and equipment whilst out of the house ?

I haven't read stuff like this since  the viz comic

i`ll have you know that i tried to insure my gear whilst out the house,but as most of my detecting is done under the cover of darkness they wouldn't quote me.
imnotginger

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 11:42:58 AM »

i got a permit from the crown  Grin thankfully it didnt cost anything as i only found £1. 5p hahah and a lot of strange small lumps of metal in balls ? i got alot to learn great fun tho  Grin
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 12:16:23 PM »

I don't think most Insurance Companies would cover crow bars either. Angry

I hope you're joking Whiteduke. Shame I'm not laughing. Fuel for raging fires there.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal