Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Diary of finding a hoard  (Read 12779 times)
avalon

« on: May 20, 2012, 04:30:35 PM »

Roll Eyes
Diary of finding a hoard

Find gold hoard, ring coroner and finds liaison officer.

Finds liaison officer Kurt Adams, asks me how do I know it’s Bronze Age gold . Duh!

Tells me he will come and pick it up in two days.

Kurt Adams never arrives.

Phone him up, ‘where are you’, ‘sorry couldn’t make it, next week sometime.’

Next week arrives, no sign of him.

Third week, I ask him are you taking this seriously, he says sorry I’ve got car troubles, and Gloucester museum hasn’t got the adequate insurance, so you can’t send it there.

Forth week , get ****** off, take it myself to the Corrinium Museum , Cirencester.

First thing they say, we don’t know anything about this, why didn’t Kurt Adams inform us. (why didn’t he indeed)

Fifth, sixth, seventh and finally eighth week archies turn up, to look at the site, even though some of the gold was found on the surface..

Discuss find with landowner, but not me.

Silence!

After 14 weeks eventually turn up excavate the rest after securing funding from the heritage lottery fund of £20000, that was just the dig. Shocked

Plan to excavate trench 3m x 10m.

Jan Wills turns up, head of Archaeology in Gloucestershire. Refuses to speak to me. B---h!

Start to excavate trench, find first piece of gold. Yippee!

Tell me they have 10 days to complete job.

Thursday weather forecast not looking good, forecast rain, I offer to get large sheet to cover trench, no it will be alright they say.

Friday, turn up to swimming pool in field. Archies abandon dig until Monday.

Archies arrive on Monday morning, to find weather has dropped to minus 10 overnight. Trench is completely frozen , so they chisel the lumps of ice out. I manage to detect spoil heap, and find large piece of gold lying on top, visible to everyone.
Tuesday, carry on digging. One of the diggers stands up to stretch his back, and I look down to find he has uncovered a gold ring which was clearly visible 10 feet away but he fails to see it, until I point it out to him. 

Lots of secret phone calls are made, just out of range.

Eighteen pieces are finally recovered from the trench on the rescue dig, I find 12 the archies find 6.

Trench finally refilled, and archies leave.

6 months later, I ask them whether I can write to the local paper to tell my story.

No problem, as long as we see it first, and vet it.

Send Email to Shire Hall , get reply from Kurt Adams FLO, story O.K but you didn’t mention all the hard work the F.L.O did for you. I must have been like ‘Rip Van Winkle’ and slept for 3 months and missed something!

Revise the story, then go to the local  press to tell them the facts, 10 minutes latter my mobile rings , all hell breaks loose, it’s Shire Hall, stop the story, fund raiser need to be contacted, too late I say!, then the phone goes dead. What the f--k was all that about!

Read papers the next day, make front page!

Archies then contact landowner, and fax him the press article and cause a rift between us, they then try and get him to make me sign a gagging order. Every thing must go through Shire Hall and the archies.

Bollocks I say.

18 months go by, not a word from the archies.

Asked to attend court, for treasure inquest. Declared treasure.

Finally get a letter saying a provisional valuation has valued my hoard at between £15,000-£17,000, which I say is too low.

T.V.C meet and value my hoard at £17000, which I contest twice.

On the 30th June they meet again. They ignore all my evidence I have  provided them on the value of the ring money, and tell me Bronze Age gold is fairly common, and say they  will pay 3 times scrap value for the cut up pieces, at the time gold was trading at $500 an ounce. 

After 2 years we finally have to except £17000, although I tell them not to use this as a bench mark for any other future cases, as we feel we were ripped off.

Four year then go by and I’m not allowed back on the land, because they tell the landowner they may need to scan the ground some time in the future.

Finally the landowner relents and let me continue to search his land.

Stalked on various Detecting forums by Tim Grubb of Gloucestershire archaeology under the name of 'Gooner.,
Write to Shire Hall under the freedom of Information Act, and receive a large folder containing libellous emails, and 100's of pages copied from various Detecting forums, infringing the copyright of these sites.

Contact Solicitor, to sue Shire Hall for libel and invasion of privacy, and told it will be very costly and no legal aid is available.

Write to Trevor Austin of the NCMD to see whether he can help me, as I was a paid  up member. Unfortunately the insurance coverage will only help me if I libel someone else, not if they libel me.

Next stage to publish the story in the national press.

* hoard.jpg (32.64 KB, 400x263 - viewed 494 times.)

* flooded trench.JPG (95.18 KB, 700x525 - viewed 484 times.)

* frozen trench.JPG (118.69 KB, 700x525 - viewed 469 times.)

* The Somme.JPG (125.96 KB, 700x525 - viewed 514 times.)

* ring money.JPG (103.87 KB, 700x525 - viewed 487 times.)

Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 04:47:03 PM »

shocking , and these are the so called experts  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 04:47:51 PM »

good read ,and as i stated last week if i find a hoard {or maybe i have Wink} best thing to do is cover it up again and forget about it ,,,way to much hastle.

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
avalon

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 05:00:38 PM »

I may even post a few of the letters up, that will raise a few eyebrows.  Shocked

IFINDNOTHING

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 05:01:25 PM »

Nice story Avalon. makes me so glad that I never find anything! Smiley , and just enjoy a good day out.

Quote "Don't ever give up hope, there's something out there, all you have to do is hold on and believe" Axl Rose-1988
avalon

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 05:07:43 PM »

Nice story Avalon. makes me so glad that I never find anything! Smiley , and just enjoy a good day out.

Quite honestly, I wish I had never found mine, for all the grief it has given me over the years, but I feel those involved in the stalking should be sacked.

Mungo

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 05:09:40 PM »

you must have the patience of a saint to of dealt with all the "people in the know " great story anyway ,  Shocked
WeCan-Octavian
Superhero Member

''On it like Sonic''

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 05:12:33 PM »

What a shocking way to treat someone who has uncovered some important artifacts, and more so the unproffessionalism of certain so called experts that do that for a living. All i can say is that as an enthusiast you have acted 100 times more proffessional then them and i salute your patience!!!!!

And very nice finds that have been rescued from night hawks and can be preserved as part of history.

well done Grin

''By order of the long haired general'' I now use a Minelab !!!!!
waltonbasinman
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 05:14:13 PM »

good read ,and as i stated last week if i find a hoard {or maybe i have Wink} best thing to do is cover it up again and forget about it ,,,way to much hastle.
Thankyou for posting Avalon. As some may know I have always tried to work closely with Archaeologists and with the treatment I have recieved over the last 12 months I will do exactly the same as you Paul ( NFL ). We work within the same FLO who I shall happily record finds with but that is where my association will end. Over the last 10 years I have recorded a lot of new sites with the SMR and happily passed on Info. As it now stands, Trust is Nil and yes that buzz of discovery and the chance to help rewrite my local history is for the select few. It is not an uncommon Practice,You have all been warned.  Shocked
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 05:25:56 PM »

yep i know the feeling well ,,after a few years on passing finds to the flo i know find that they arnt being recorded properly on the pas site or in some cases not being recorded at all ,,then i get the objects back and i wonder if it was for just the flo to look at  Huh...im not talking victorian doorknobs or georgian grots but the last lot was 13 assorted hammered coins,,,i,ll keep on finding em for my enjoyment i think Wink

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
avalon

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 05:30:13 PM »

What a shocking way to treat someone who has uncovered some important artifacts, and more so the unproffessionalism of certain so called experts that do that for a living. All i can say is that as an enthusiast you have acted 100 times more proffessional then them and i salute your patience!!!!!

And very nice finds that have been rescued from night hawks and can be preserved as part of history.

well done Grin

Well I can guarantee there isn’t anything left but that doesn’t stop the Nighthawks. Paul the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants ran a competition to find the spot after giving  all the clues out on his blog. Two local nighthawks guessed the spot and he congratulated them on their intelligence. Three months later the gamekeeper caught them on the site and turfed them off. I passed on the info to the police who gave me an incident number as I know the two involved, and as far as I know they are still detecting.  I threaten the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants   in  aiding and abeting a crime by assisting in the commission of a crime involving robbery.
I have all his blog saved on file if the police would like to investigate the case and hopefully deport him for trial.

anthonyjay

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 06:04:29 PM »

Very interesting Avlon. Just to let you all know, several (20 +) persons working at Shire Hall have been given their marching orders due to council cut-backs.
avalon

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 06:13:29 PM »

Very interesting Avlon. Just to let you all know, several (20 +) persons working at Shire Hall have been given their marching orders due to council cut-backs.

I would love to know who they are, maybe sticking pins in dolls has worked after all. Smiley I am not opposed to recording as I have objects on loan to the Corinium Museum and have donated loads over the years, but I feel we have been given the shitty end of the stick, by people who are clearly breaking the law.

nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 06:35:25 PM »

i've always wondered how many mueseum peices fall into the hands of dis-honest corrupt curators Undecided

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
waltonbasinman
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 06:58:11 PM »

i've always wondered how many mueseum peices fall into the hands of dis-honest corrupt curators Undecided
Partly why I feel as I do Nobby. Some Archaeologists have some stunning collections and I have seen some stunning stuff. Before I say to much they are not whiter than white. Never have been never will be.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal