Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: is there still life in the forum?  (Read 22455 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2012, 02:55:11 PM »

Well this topic has certainly added life to the forum. Well done peanut!

I wasn't taking it as personal criticism from you and it's a valid discussion topic.

Bob - I have sent you a pm rather than reply on here clarifying the issues I raised regarding your deleted posts.

Keep the debate going guys - I like the idea of an archi page.

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »

.. i read that as an 'anarchy' page.    Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2012, 04:24:09 PM »

I don't understand the remark that this isn't the time of the year for detecting.

AT LEAST 50% of land in the UK is pasture at anytime (more like 95% in Wales!) and that's even what most of the land we do on rallies is anyway.

I can accept that it is time consuming finding land for rallies and it takes a certain type of person to do it
as most (29 out of 30? as Taff says) say "No!"

Most farmers are wealthy and the £100 offered doesn't sway them anymore.......that probably wouldn't fill
up their Landrover!

An anarchy page sounds like it'd be lively and interesting!  Grin

nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2012, 04:32:35 PM »

my thought exaactly bob ,availability of land isnt a issue here at this time of year i think the problem is that some people that that attend rallys have little or no land to detect upon,hence lack of finds i also think that asking a farmer for permision for 70+ people is a bit difficult especially when theft off farms is a major concern these days.

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2012, 04:49:37 PM »

my thought exaactly bob ,availability of land isnt a issue here at this time of year i think the problem is that some people that that attend rallys have little or no land to detect upon,hence lack of finds i also think that asking a farmer for permision for 70+ people is a bit difficult especially when theft off farms is a major concern these days.

Yes, I have a few thousand acres of land to detect upon but, as it's mostly unploughed, it's not exactly that productive!

I was speaking to one farmer earlier this week and he has just had electric gates and CCTV installed due to thefts. With the cutting of police numbers and the economic climate, it's only going to get worse for farmers and landowners suffering thefts.

Even when the thieves are caught, the sentences are a joke.

dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2012, 05:08:39 PM »

get down the beaches u whingers lol.no rallies no rallies whens a rally ?.beaches are free so stop the moaning or get off ur arses and find a friendly farmer its not hard theres farms everywhere.
 whingers lol Cheesy

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2012, 05:10:56 PM »

get down the beaches u whingers lol.no rallies no rallies whens a rally ?.beaches are free so stop the moaning or get off ur arses and find a friendly farmer its not hard theres farms everywhere.
 whingers lol Cheesy

No point going down the Welsh beaches............you've had it all !   Grin

jaydogg

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2012, 05:37:47 PM »

Funny you should say that Peanut as mark and I have just started a blog about the history and archaeology of the Vale of Glamorgan, its not strictly related to metal detecting, although some of our finds are on there, but they are put into a context rather than simply finds. I also love historical architecture and have a number of good reference books on the subject. Its nice that a fellow DW'er has similar interests. Are you an undergrad nfl or have you graduated? If so where?

On the subject of land during these summer months, I find that I can get land but its very limited for reasons we all know but I happen to make most my best finds during the winter months. 
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2012, 07:05:11 PM »

pm sent jaydogg

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2012, 07:06:05 PM »

Theres loads of Pasture around Bob granted, but the problem I am hitting is that the livestock is now out in the fields and other pasture is growing for silage.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
bajero

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2012, 08:30:17 AM »

Hi peanut, would just like to say ( being one of the guilty ones) that it is not thru lack of interest that i don't contribute, rather a lack of time. I can only snatch occasional sessions with the tector, due to an ongoing build project (will b ongoing for next few years!!!), also i ain't got the hang of posting picies etc yet.
However please don't despair as i always have a scan thru the forum and thoroughly enjoy reading contributors reviews and experiences ; so would like to say thanks for the effort that people put in to their posts and that they are appreciated, the forum is an invaluable source of information. Metal detecting is about more than just finding things, there is a huge amount of satisfaction gained from the research and history of the places we all detect so,thanks again.
Cheers ,Baj
archie

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2012, 11:12:24 AM »

Hi peanut, would just like to say ( being one of the guilty ones) that it is not thru lack of interest that i don't contribute, rather a lack of time. I can only snatch occasional sessions with the tector, due to an ongoing build project (will b ongoing for next few years!!!), also i ain't got the hang of posting picies etc yet.
However please don't despair as i always have a scan thru the forum and thoroughly enjoy reading contributors reviews and experiences ; so would like to say thanks for the effort that people put in to their posts and that they are appreciated, the forum is an invaluable source of information. Metal detecting is about more than just finding things, there is a huge amount of satisfaction gained from the research and history of the places we all detect so,thanks again.
Cheers ,Baj

I agree with bajero, the site is invaluable for idents and general problem solving.
I am in the same kind of boat as baj and detect when time / weather permits, but I love the banter - usually friendly, and dont mind adding my ha'porth when I can.  Don't be disheartened if the forums go a little quiet at times, believe me, the ammount of input from the members is quite phenomenal compared to some forums I dip into (not necesarily detecting)  keep up the good work Wink

started with an Ace 250 now upgraded to F75

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal