Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Which is best? Explorer/E Trac or Sovereign GT on the beach?  (Read 11813 times)
CZFisher-man
Rally attendee

« on: April 24, 2012, 08:50:50 AM »

Are the Minelab Explorer or E-Trac metal detectors as good as a Sovereign GT on the beach or are they an even better machine to use?, or is just a matter of personal preference to the type of detector.

Thanks for any advice.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 09:09:02 AM »

Having used all of those I would say that the Sovereign range still have the edge for the beach. But remember that there is no difference in performance between any of the Sov range, the newer ones are just more "user friendly".
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 03:35:06 PM »

my etrac has done me well on the beach,yet to hit gold with the sovereign Angry

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
ray homer
Rally attendee

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 01:34:09 PM »

without a doubt the sov,all the way,i dont think it can be beat on beaches,
welshbreed

CTX 3030 and ETRAC backup

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 06:44:43 PM »

Sovereign gt for sale with 10" tornado coil, rechargable battery and charger and dry cell battery holder and box cover in very good condition £400  ono   (ps 1 of the best detectors for the beach)

2016 finds:-
2 x hammered
2 x roman coin
x roman brooches
12 x silver milled coins
0 x celtic coins
tons of lead
handfull of grotties
x gold coins
0 x gold ring
0 x silver ring
Franny
Rally attendee

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 04:01:37 PM »

The safari is equal or better of any of the above detectors on wet sand ,but with the bonus that it is the easiest of them all to set up .  I've found coins at incredible depths with it and runs at nearly full sensitivity without so much of a murmur of a false signal . Like all the other , finds at extreme depths , the tones have to be learnt . With the Safari . Iron signals , with the depth on the meter at its lowest , have to be worked at from different angles and any hint of a high tone , you have to dig it , when a vicky silver comes up at over 12" you'll see what I mean . Also at these depths you have to go a lot slower sweep .as others have said , don't run it silent , you need a threshold to listen for iron . The more iron the slower the sweep speed . Good luck with whatever you choose ,there all great machines on the shore .
Franny
Rally attendee

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 04:09:43 PM »

Sorry, forgot to add that I run mine in all metal , if you use discrimination you need to here the threshold so when it cuts out you know you have gone over iron .
rst4me100
Rally attendee

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 10:31:18 PM »

Hi all ,just getting back into detecting after many years in the wilderness , forgive me if im wrong , and ive heard these minelab machines are good , but would they offer any advantage over a good pulse machine( i have a goldquest ss v2] that i havnt used for years , maybe things have moved on? because as we know the salt soon gets rid of most of the ferrous items at the low water line ,so if you have to hunt in all metal with a vlf machine is there something im missing regarding the supposed advantages of these minlabs in the salt?
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 10:41:39 PM »

Hi and welcome back to the fray Wink If you have experience and are comfortable with the Goldquest then stay with it, it is still far more sensitive to VLF machines and you do have slight tone discrimination. The benefits of machines such as the Sovereign is that it's tone discrimination is far superior and so faster to hunt with, the trade off is that it's not as sensitive on micro jewellery such as fine chains and ear ring backs.
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 02:06:41 AM »

To put my penny worth into the thread, sov elite are a very good all rounder detector inland or on beach. Though the se pro i found to be just as good, as long as you sweep low and slow.

Although I use the xp Deus, i can never seem to find the rightsettings.

A lot of it is down purely to personal taste and getting onto a beach and try different detectors  Grin
davtec (dave)

davtec

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 05:05:09 AM »

E/trac E/trac E/trac it finds the gold Cool Cool

A wise man changes his mind: a fool never will.
jondav

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 07:47:31 PM »

Have never tried the sovereign, but I have both the explorer2 and the E trac, I use them both (not at the same time), here is what I find, the Explorer is a lot quieter on the wet sand, amazingly so,it also seems to be a touch more sensitive to very small items,its a bit heavier and slightly more tiring to use than the Etrac,the standard 10" coil on theEx 2 is much more robust and can take some knocks, the 11" on the Etrac is much more of a flimsy build,and wouldnt take much bumping around. the deepest coin with theEx 2 was a 5p at 11" in wet sand ,pretty good!.The Etrac reacts a bit faster to targets,and because the conductivity has been extended to 50 as opposed to 35 on the Ex 2, it gives a better idea tonally the type of target you have,
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 09:45:32 PM »

Are the Minelab Explorer or E-Trac metal detectors as good as a Sovereign GT on the beach or are they an even better machine to use?, or is just a matter of personal preference to the type of detector.

Thanks for any advice.
The day Minelab comes up comes up with a machine capable of the performance of either the Explorer, E- trac or Sovereign as light as the Deus and similar construction, I will be the first in the queue for one as would many others, come on Minelab go for it Smiley I have used Explorer and E -trac but settle for the old faithfull Sovereign as you can remove the controll box and hipmount to make it lighter and allow longer searches. To sum up Minelabs Rule. Grin Grin
Mungo

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 10:07:45 PM »

Thanks for any advice.
The day Minelab comes up comes up with a machine capable of the performance of either the Explorer, E- trac or Sovereign as light as the Deus and similar construction, I will be the first in the queue for one as would many others, come on Minelab go for it Smiley I have used Explorer and E -trac but settle for the old faithfull Sovereign as you can remove the controll box and hipmount to make it lighter and allow longer searches. To sum up Minelabs Rule. Grin Grin

i'll be second........... Grin
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 05:37:28 AM »

since my earlier reply my sovereign has done me well also,yet to hit gold with my pulse  Smiley

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal