Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Permission on seeded ground. What are the facts?  (Read 2319 times)
hedgehog
« on: April 26, 2009, 05:48:29 AM »

I have never felt quite comfortable detecting on seeded ground, but I am now beggining to think when you ask permission to go on land farmers on the whole don't mind if you do so long as you leave the land as you found it.
I have two farmers now who have told me that you can go on any of the corn planted fields until it is too long to detect!
Just had one farmer that has come back off his travels and I have missed to go on his fields over the winter because I thought the fields were rented out, that isn't the case and he said get on them as much as you like for the next month.
Was just wondering why there are no concerns on that type of ground?
simon c

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 07:10:56 AM »

It seems to depend on the individual farmer's Steve,some as you say will let you detect up untill it's to long to detect,others are the complete opposite and once it's drilled won't let you on it,as long as your allowed i'd make the most of it.The way i treat it is that if you try not to dig to many holes,and keep the hole as small as possible then your not causing much more damage than mole's or rabbits etc,when i dig a signal i try and keep the plug of soil with the corn or barley seedlings in together and once i have filled most of the hole in i then replant the crop the same as i would a garden plant making sure to firm it in and cover the roots,most of the farmers where i am ok to detec the seeded crops say that me being there has'nt affected the yeild of that crop,one of the farmers even grazes the crop in March with 5 or 6 sheep,which apparently helps encourage the growth rates,i think it helps it to grow more quickly and bushier.Can be a problem if there is a lot of iron,coke and rubbish as you end up digging a lot more holes,so i usually try and just did the better signals and then go back when it's in stubble.Good luck Grin
Gadget(Ian)

R.A.R.E. & F.I.D.Member.E trac User

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 08:10:19 AM »

I have always been worried about detecting on seeded or spouting fields. I have only done this a few times and can never enjoy my detecting even to a point that i stop and move to annother field.Iv'e always thought of asking the farmer for some seed and spread a handfull in each hole i dig.Still think I will leave it until the crop has been havested and detect on my favorite ground the stubble fields.

A bad days detecting is better than a good day at work.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 02:03:51 PM »

I'm with Ian on this one , even where permission is granted, I always feel awkward detecting on seeded fields, can never enjoy it.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 04:02:32 PM »

when iv been on farmerphil dad's land i feel that we should not be detecting on it , just dont feel right being on there . Roll Eyes Huh
altinkum

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 04:11:58 PM »

some farmers feel bird's and rabbit's do more damage than detectorist's

explorers, my arse
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 04:36:03 PM »

sometimes it depends on the type of crop.  they say you will do no harm on the winter barley till it gets to about 6" long.
a lot of farmers say once its seeded then thats it,  thats the way i tend to go, i stay off if its been seeded,  it don't seem righ anyhow.
most fields a rolled down like a billiard table after and it seems such a shame to go digging it up,  respect the farmers land  and wait till the crops have been harvested is the way i think.

Gadget(Ian)

R.A.R.E. & F.I.D.Member.E trac User

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 04:57:14 PM »

if its been there a couple of hudread years it can wait annother 8 months. also gives you something to look forward to waiting for the off in your favorite fields. Wink Grin Grin

A bad days detecting is better than a good day at work.
hedgehog
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 09:25:14 AM »

I feel the same as all that has been said and glad you guys have the same concerns, he is adamant that I should go there! Think I will give it a go and see how I feel about it, there isn't a lot of rubbish there so won't be digging lots of holes, thanks for your thoughts and the advice it's much appreciated  Cool

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal