Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Backing urged for Hoard viewing site Part 1 & 2  (Read 2789 times)
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« on: March 21, 2012, 03:38:52 PM »

Thursday 8th March 2012,

The Government has been asked to back plans to install a viewing platform overlooking the site where the Staffordshire Hoard was discovered.

The idea is the brainchild of Walsall pensioner Brian Stringer, who says the site would be an ideal destination for school field trips.

Mr Stringer, who heads the Brownhills Local Committee, is hoping to get Michael Gove’s support after the Education Secretary repeatedly called for more history on the national curriculum.

Campaigners hope to attract sponsorship for a granite post with a peep hole to be installed on a plot of land between Burntwood and Brownhills, next to where the treasure was discovered in July, 2009.

Visitors would be able to peer through it and train their eyes on the exact spot.

He said: “At the moment there is nothing there, but, with a bit of imagination, it could become something really special.

“There wasn’t anything at The Battle of Bosworth field, but now schools go there and people dress up in outfits from the era.”

“Michael Gove said local schools need to do more to get schools interested in historic sites – they could start there.”

Last month the Education Secretary asked English Heritage to draw up a list of local historical sites that could bring the past alive.

Mr Stringer, aged 72, of Park Close, Brownhills, added he is going to write to Lichfield District Council to raise his concerns about plans for a new site for travellers in a neighbouring field, which he fears might jeopardise his long-term plans.

He said: “I’ve got no objections to the travellers, but there may have to be some sort of joint access which could cause a few problems.”

A planning application has been submitted to Lichfield District Council to change the use of the land, on the south side of Watling Street, from agricultural to a site for six mobile homes on four plots with septic tanks and utility rooms.

Terry Maughan bought the field near Hammerwich at auction two-and- a-half years ago.

He and his family were previously based at the Fishpond Caravan Site, in Featherstone, according to agents acting on the family’s behalf.

Guided Tour 2.30pm: 'The Staffordshire Hoard - Part 2' with Michelle McCormick

29th April 2012 - 29th April 2012                                                           
Join Michelle McCormick on the second part of this tour of the Staffordshire Hoard. This tour will focus on how the hoard is being conserved by our Conservation team and also look at some of the manufacturing techniques employed by Anglo Saxon craftsmen. A tour of the Staffordshire Hoard gallery is included.
Tickets are £2.00 per person and can be purchased from the Vestibule reception desk. Please meet your guide in the Round Room just before the tour starts. Tours last approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour, but this can vary - please feel free to discuss this with your guide on the day. 
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »

when i used to live in litchfield i worked at a farm at shenstone and passed this hoard field twice a day  for months now they want to let people look into a hole on the site?Huh??,,,i dig plenty of holes {you can have a look if you want to  Grin},,i know exactly which field the staffs hoard was found in ,,,,,,just askinjg myself why would anybody want to look in a hole in the ground?

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
avalon

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 06:50:50 PM »

They ought to offer night time tours to my hoard site, they would probably double the amount of visitors  Angry

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal