Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flintshire Newbie  (Read 16493 times)
Christoph1945
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2012, 05:57:20 PM »

what news on the saxon viking stories

Hi John,
                sadly I have lost the scent on that one. Did you look up Viking Burial Ship and Talacre on the internet? I am hoping to spend a lot of time down there this season and will do some research into the area.

On Friday I turned up an odd piece of scrap on the beach; it looked like one of those spikes off a wrought iron fence. When I showed it to my daughter she said  " point off a pikestaff ". Me, I think that it is too short and not pointed enough. I will post a picture later this week.

Chris
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 06:35:42 PM »

Hi Chris I live in Gwespyr on the hill above Talacre, it was a viking burial that was found in the 1930s. They found it while digging a septic tank for a bungalow in Tanlan(on the coast road  towards Ffynnongroyw) . If I remember rightly there was a skeleton and a spearhead found. Hope this helps.
Christoph1945
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 06:52:17 PM »

Hi Chris I live in Gwespyr on the hill above Talacre, it was a viking burial that was found in the 1930s. They found it while digging a septic tank for a bungalow in Tanlan(on the coast road  towards Ffynnongroyw) . If I remember rightly there was a skeleton and a spearhead found. Hope this helps.

Hi Dungbeetle,
                         I had got that far after visiting Rhyl library and consulting with one of the librarians. Me thinks that it is a case of Chinese whispers! Someone says they have found a Viking Burial, and then someone thinks " Aaaah, Vikings were buried in their ships. "     And Bingo; it suddenly becomes a Viking Burial Ship. Unless we are missing something.

Chris

PS, there is a lot of work going on at Talcre just now. Diggers and dumpers working in the dunes. Also tipper lorries importing sand!   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 06:56:02 PM by Christoph1945 » Logged
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2012, 07:04:25 PM »

I  have lived here all my life and only heard  about it in a local history evening class but last year I found a piece of a Cnut short cross penny not too far away(it's with the FLO at the moment) so vikings were in the area.
Christoph1945
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2012, 07:50:37 PM »

They sometimes have history lectures in the comunity centre at Talacre.

Chris
Bottlesworth
Rally attendee

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2017, 02:24:38 PM »

Hi
Might be able to help you with this

The Viking grave was found when my wife's great grandfather was building the row of semis at Tan Lan

Her grandmother always said it was in the garden of their house ( the Elms ) and was moved to Liverpool museum where it was destroyed in ww2 bombing

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2017, 02:35:34 PM »

Hey Ho; perhaps it was cursed.  Shocked

Didn't spent a lot of time at Talacre last year, but have been try my hand on the more westerly beaches. Will probably put some time in at Talacre this year but will try to plan things a bit better. Sadly, parking at Talacre is a bit of a bugger these days.  Angry

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal