Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Denarius Serratus Coins  (Read 3783 times)
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« on: March 14, 2012, 04:46:18 PM »

ok a few of us have found a denarius , but as anyone found a denarius serratus !, , so if anyone as got one put up a photo on this post will be great to see.
They are called denarius serratus so called because of the notches round the edge of the flan . these are thought to have been placed there to show denarii were pure silver rather than plated . it must have taken quite some time for a mint employee to chisel all those notches around the edge of the denarii ............ a few samples to see.....................

Roman Republic, Lucius Aurelius Cotta, 105 B.C.        Vulcan is the divinty of the forge and therefore symbolic of the striking of money." --                   

Silver denarius serratus, Crawford 314/1b, Sydenham 577, RSC I Aurelia 21, SRCV 191 var (control letters), aVF, Rome mint, weight 3.767g, maximum diameter 20.0mm, die axis 135o, obverse draped bust of Vulcan right, wearing a laureate pileus, tongs and X behind, A• below chin, all within myrtle wreath; reverse eagle standing right on thunderbolt, head left, L COT below, all within a laurel wreath;

Roman Republic, Q. Fufius Calenus and P. Mucius Scaevola (Cordus), 70 B.C.
                                            This type conveys that the reconciliation and alliance achieved at the end of the Social War would be under the special care of the deities Honos and Virtus.
RR81725. Silver denarius serratus, SRCV I 338, Sydenham 797, Crawford 403, RSC I Fufia 1, VF, Rome mint, weight 3.857g, maximum diameter 20.2mm, die axis 135o, obverse conjoined heads of Honos, laureate, and Virtus, helmeted, right, HO on left, VIRT (RT in monogram) on right, KALENI below; reverse Italia, on left, and Roma, on right, clasping hands, Italia holds a cornucopia, Roma holds a spear in her left hand and rests right foot on a globe, caduceus above ITAL (TAL in monogram) on left, RO on right, CORDI in exergue; toned;
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 06:10:46 PM »

only dream of them

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal