Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: battlefield survey  (Read 4107 times)
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« on: March 13, 2012, 04:09:46 PM »

A Battlefield Archaeology Survey
                                    March 5th/6th 2012                                         
  I volunteered , along with my detecting buddy , to take part in a metal detecting survey of a
  known battle-site . On the first day there were 16 volunteers , the second day there were 10.
  The aim of the survey was to try and find anything from the 1190's battle, in particular
  a “Bodkin Arrowhead” which could pierce chain mail or any other type of armour.
  We were searching in “all metal” and expected to dig all signals, which got very tedious after a
  while.
  The area we were in was Painscastle , Powys, searching fields in the vicinity of the ruins of the
  castle.The scenery in that area was stunning and really hilly, the view from the castle back
  then must have been spectacular and any troops approaching could be seen from miles away.
  The search area had been set out by the two archaeologists in charge , there was a row of flags
  across the top of the field with a further row about 50 metres along the field and another the
  same distance away . We were told to pick a flag number and follow the corresponding flag
  across the whole field . We had been given small flags and plastic bags so any find would be
  bagged ,left on the ground with a flag by it for the archaeologists to pick up and decide whether
  to keep it or dump it . It was a systematic search method, after we had completed a run down,
  and back up the field, the flags were re-positioned to be at ninety degrees to the first sweep.
  This way all the field was covered quite comprehensively.
  Lots of finds were uncovered , checked and logged on a GPS . After a break for lunch we made
  our way to a different field. The same method was employed and this field was covered fully
  too. The usual finds were surfacing , buttons,buckles,musket balls, lead etc, unfortunately
  nothing from the time they were hoping for .At around 4 o'clock we called it a day , hoping
  for better luck tomorrow.
  The next day we were in a field directly under the castle ruins , so hopes were running high .
   We picked our starting position by the flag that took out fancy and off we set , The outcome was
   much the same with nothing that was hoped for finding it's way to the surface .The flags were
   re-positioned about three times in this last field but to no avail , the same type of finds were
   coming to light .All the finds, regardless of what era they were from , were bagged and stored
   away for investigation back at the archaeologists' base .
   This was the first time I had experienced any work of this nature and it was very enjoyable . I
   would not hesitate to help out again if required as I think it fosters good relations with those
   who were considered “the enemy” not too long ago.
    Byron Matthews

* hills.JPG (96.07 KB, 960x720 - viewed 543 times.)

* ruins.JPG (110.49 KB, 960x720 - viewed 549 times.)

* start.JPG (115.87 KB, 960x720 - viewed 562 times.)

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 04:30:05 PM »

good read that Byron ,very interesting what you had to do, some known faces on those photos as well. glad you enjoyed it. Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 04:50:11 PM »

Well done Byron, nice write up. I've done more than my fair share with the 60-61 Group, with as much success as you so far Grin
One thing we realised long ago was that unless you have a standard as far as hardware is concerned then your findings are never that reliable.
In the one shot you have an Explorer with a 12X15 SEF and then an Ace 250 Shocked Also did the Explorer/Etrac users all use their noise cancel on 10 or as high as was poss? Also sensitivity has to be the same otherwise you end up, as no doubt the archaeologists have on your survey have, with absence of evidence and not evidence of absence. Good fun though Wink
heather

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »

steve and I (2nd and 3rd in picture - hope you can tell the difference lol) had a great time as well.

Although steve got the food day on the 2nd day and decided to go to the pub which was closed, so it was rooting around in the car for left overs lol.

I found a beautiful buckle, which Im hoping to get some pictures from Chris soon.  It was very delicate with enamal on the top and had a crest of some sorts in it.

Once the picture comes, shall post it.    It was a very tiring couple of days, but loved every minute, but not digging up the rust - omg so so so much rust !!

H

3 hammered silver
100 penicilian tubes
LUCKY

V3i & Highland Innovations Headphones User

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 07:17:42 PM »

Terrific post which I really enjoyed reading, congratulations to everyone involved. Detectorists in Scotland do a lot of this type of work as well as participating in excavations, and, doing other types of surveys. It is so rewarding as everything you find, including iron objects, is so important. Wink Grin
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 07:20:07 PM by LUCKY » Logged
beachboy (viv)

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 08:19:28 PM »

byron well done thats a great report and a good turn out, and you had the weather with you to.viv
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 09:14:38 PM »

we were lucky with the weather viv.... Wink....it was a bit breezy on the first day but warmed up later on.......interference off other machines was a problem, under normal circumstance we would not be detecting so close to each other.......it was ok once we spread out..... Cheesy.....an enjoyable experience though........byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
heather

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 09:35:27 AM »

heres the buckle if anyone has any ideas on it that would be great

* Heathers 'buckle'.jpg (23.83 KB, 336x349 - viewed 1418 times.)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:37:36 AM by heather » Logged

3 hammered silver
100 penicilian tubes
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 09:39:29 AM »

sounds good fun byron,enjoyed the read and heather thats a cracker of a buckle

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 09:54:04 AM »

gteat post byron not far from me

The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 11:14:33 PM »

heres the buckle if anyone has any ideas on it that would be great

That looks very unusual Heather, nice find!!

How big is it? Also, is the back plain and flat, plain and rounded, or is it decorated?
Lastly, what is in the middle between the enamel crosses - is it just corrosion or is there another fixing hole with a rivet remaining?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal