Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello chaps.... Have I dropped a boo boo?  (Read 7577 times)
Dusty

« on: April 24, 2009, 06:57:34 PM »

Glad I ran into this site. Used a few "other" forums and found that guys not very helpful so I'm hoping this place is different!  Grin

I got interested in detecting about 7 years ago, without any research bought a PROspector 100 (£120) from bid up used it for less than a week packed it up and flogged it on ebay... it was terrible awful and pretty useless and kinda put me off until now when I decided to give it another try.

NOW the thing is Ive been on the beer all afternoon came home and thought Ive been putting buying a detector off for so long its about time I just bought one and I did....... A Garrett Ace 250  Cry dunno what got into me, Ive not researched this model AT ALL it just looked flashy but in all honesty I really don't know what Ive bought.... I know Garrett is a pretty good brand name but that's about it, I don't know how good they dis, how far down they go ETC ETC......

So could ANYONE who has one or used one post a couple of line about this detector, if at the end of the day they are anything like that horrible PROspector I bought Ill cancel the order!

Thanks chaps

Dusty, Wrexham
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 07:03:52 PM »

Well its going to be infinitly better than your original , I know quite a few people on here have got or have had Garret. Where did you buy it from?

P.S Welcome to the site fella

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
DIG IT! (ADIE)

X-TERRA 70 user explorer 11

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 07:05:17 PM »

Good starting machine dusty hop u have good luck .Dont worry too much about depth .I made some good finds with a similar machine so get out there and find stuff and enjoy Grin

Heavy metal nut that digs loads of iron
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 07:08:11 PM »

wow,  what an experience  with that first one, its enough to put you off,  glad you came back and found us though,
 as Rob said there are a few on here that uses the garret so i'm sure you'll get plenty of advise,
 welcome to the freindliest forum around too,
Alan

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 07:13:24 PM »

Welcome Dusty - thats a good starting machine - a few people on here have them, and I can guarantee you will find stuff with it. To give you an idea I have found a Bronze roman key, several hammered silver coins, numerous milled silver coins and countless other bronze and copper artefacts at less than 4 inches over the years on both pasture and stubble fields. You will definately find things with that machine.

Get to know it though first - an ideal place is your garden. Bury a few items at a couple of inches and get used to the sounds it gives off. Try burying something made of iron and learn the signal - then in future try and avoid the iron sound.

Keep with it dude - I'm sure you will end up hooked just like us. Have a look in the gallery at the type of items we find here in Wales. Theres a few from Wrexham on this site. Charles Cater {Wrexham} maybe able to give you some pointers to detecting in that area as its his home town.

Oh, and lastly welcome to the site! Enjoy it - we are a friendly bunch, and any questions just ask.

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Dusty

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 08:14:55 PM »

Bloody hell... quick replies!  Grin

Thanks to you all for the info, All the input as kinda calmed me down, maybe my half cut choice wasnt a bad one after all LOL! I suppose it was the thought of the old "so call" PROspector coming back to haunt me, for the money that detector was rubbish!! Im looking for anything really, much like a magpie anything shine.... On a serious note Im after coins of any type, anything more is just a bonus..

Anyway, thanks to you all for the replies you all made me feel welcome.

Thanks

Dusty, Wrexham
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 08:24:14 PM »

arrrr   your very welcome too,  just remember though it takes a bit of time to get the relationship going between you and your detector, give it a bit of time, it will soon come, you have to be in tune with it too.
 your detecting life starts here, there will be no turning back now
 best regards,
 Alan

KANE (DES)

RARE,FID

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 08:59:52 PM »

hi dusty glad to have you with us hope you like the forum theres plenty of help on here mate
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 11:38:10 PM »

3 weeks ago i went with my club to a site near newbury.....my explorer developed a fault and would'nt switch on....luckily , one of the boys had a spare detector with him and lent it to me......it was a garrett 250 ace !.....i soon got used to it and found a roman sersterius,30mm in diameter...i was chuffed !!..just sorry i'd not found it with my own detector.....my point....the garrett was brill !...good luck with it....and welcome to the forum !... Wink...byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
hedgehog
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 10:33:53 AM »

Welcome Dusty, stick with it you won't regret it,
Dusty

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 09:17:48 PM »

Guys, anyone know in idea conditions how far would a 250 detect on say a £1 coin?

Cheers

Dusty, Wrexham
KANE (DES)

RARE,FID

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 10:47:32 PM »

hi dusty mate to find out about the £1 coin i would bury a coin say 4 inches to start then
 then 6inches  and so on till theres no sound measure from the top of the hole to where you had the last sounding and that will be  about the depth you will find them in wet weather you might find them a little deeper
  DES
Charles Cater

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 10:22:06 AM »

Welome Dusty, I am fom Wrexham too.

Say nought and you won't be controversial, or so they say?

http://detectoruser.co.uk

http://members.boardhost.com/Tom1/
Gadget(Ian)

R.A.R.E. & F.I.D.Member.E trac User

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 05:15:45 PM »

welcome to the forum dusty you wont regret it

A bad days detecting is better than a good day at work.
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 10:22:02 PM »

Welcome to the forum Dusty ;0)

My 1st Detector was a Garrett Treasure ace simple to use switch on and go detector ive got an Explorer 11 But id say i found more and had more fun with my Garrett.

The top of the range Garretts look very impressive on paper but i dont know how they handle british soil

all the best Dusty and good hunting !

regards
Phil Jones

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal