Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: National trust?  (Read 2386 times)
stickygreen

« on: March 06, 2012, 05:49:57 PM »

Has anyone  ever been granted permmision to detect N.T sites? only asking because i'm going to e-mail them and plead with them to let me detect one of their sites.It's such a shame as the site probably wont be there in another 20-30 years as it's being eaten by the sea.

When you don't know where you're going,  any road will get you there.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 05:57:32 PM »

NT have a blanket ban on detecting unless you have a genuine reason for it ie to further academic knowledge regarding a certain site, you would also need a written reference from a known archaeologist, a detailed plan of your search and the depths you propose to excavate finds from and specific site insurance.
And when you have amassed all of that they would probably still say no.

I would just wait on the beach and let it erode  Grin
stickygreen

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 06:06:59 PM »

Will they ever change their policy? I just think its a shame as the history is just going to be lost.and i used to live on this land when i was a kid.

When you don't know where you're going,  any road will get you there.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 06:13:42 PM »

No probably not and with good reason in most cases. Unfortunately there are many many detectorists out there who seem to think just the sight of seeing someone detecting is a universal invitation to everybody.
I have had land permission where others have actually told the farmer when confronted that they saw me detecting and thought it would be OK. Stupid t..ts
pjguy68

Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 09:10:01 PM »

National Trust is a resounding NO GO, as a member of N.T. I appealed to their good nature regarding the possibility of detecting on their land. They were quite clear that this will not be allowed under any circumstance, not even if you are a fee paying member.

Finds
1 x Medana WW I Trench Watch
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 11:31:11 PM »

This is one of the reasons I'm no longer a member of the NT. Its becoming a 'Jolly old boy's club' and is not prepared to
listen to its members.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
pjguy68

Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 04:40:25 PM »

Ohhh !!!! Yes you are spot on there, that is why I too am an ex member, and the fact that new members can join for £30 less than existing members and get a free pair of Binoculars, which are probably worth another £2.99. When i questioned why I had to pay £30 more, I got no reply ?
That is why I am now an EX Member. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Finds
1 x Medana WW I Trench Watch
win

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 08:55:17 PM »

Ok its a great shame the NT won't listen to detectorists. All the same I'm a member, membership is quite a bargain price. But when they circulated all members for financial help to buy some land and a beach in North Wales, I put their letter straight in the bin. I can play silly b.....s too.
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 10:51:35 AM »

I can perfectly understand the protection of the countryside with its sometimes fragile nature but to put the same restrictions on beaches is just plain stupidity.
Every tide removes any trace of human involvement so there's no reason to ban people enjoying that aspect of leisure. Its just ignorance of the facts that these officials
use to sway the opinions of the general public who are mostly uninformed of the real facts.

Look at how many of the major archaeological discoveries are being found and reported by detectorists. How our knowledge of this countries history is now being researched by official bodies,
due to the efforts of a dedicated band of detectorists, yet were still (in some circles) reviled as grave robbers and common thieves of the countries heritage. The trouble is, the people who hold these views are usually the same people who have access to the media, so can paint whatever picture they feel like. That in turn justifies the actions taken by organisations like the NT.

A classic example of today's NT was when I was travelling in Norther Ireland and needed directions from the Tourist Information Office. This office was situated 'inside' an NT car park so I had
to pay the entry fee (although I wasn't stopping to visit the site) just so that I could get those directions.. What a blatant ripoff - 'Money' that's all their interested in.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal