Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Roman Silver for I/D.  (Read 8053 times)
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 11:36:26 AM »

Thought i`d show results as they occur in 24hr increments of the Denny soaking in Lemon juice.

1st pic - As found.
2nd pic - 24hrs soaking.
3rd pic - After cleaning with toothpick & toothbrush.

Good god Mick you're an alchemist you turned it into GOLD

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 02:03:20 PM »

To get rid of the black sulphides you could put in an aluminium pan and boil it in water which has washing soda in it.

There are also 'special' metal plates called 'qwiksilver' that do the same sort of thing - i.e get a big enough plastic tub, fill with boiling water, add washing soda and put the coin on the plate - however these are just aluminium plates with holes in them. You can buy them on eBay (or through Kleeneze).

To get rid of the 'iron' like deposits something like Sodium Hydrogen Sulphide would work, but this is quite a strong acid solution.

You could also try a mixture of vinegar and salt, but as I don't use that anymore then I wouldn't be able to guarantee it would shift anything.
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 04:29:15 PM »

great find metalmickey , that's another great denarius for your collection.
Metalmickey

Fisher F75 User.Some Men are Wise, Some Otherwise!

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 07:55:58 PM »

Thought i`d show results as they occur in 24hr increments of the Denny soaking in Lemon juice.

1st pic - As found.
2nd pic - 24hrs soaking.
3rd pic - After cleaning with toothpick & toothbrush.

Good god Mick you're an alchemist you turned it into GOLD

Bl**dy artificial light !  Grin

If you want to understand today, you have to search for yesterday !!
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 10:58:54 PM »

mickey are you finding all this silver with the f75 , and if so what settings are you using please  Smiley

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 11:40:22 PM »

LOL do you think it's the settings Legio Grin I think a field with Roman silver in, might have more to do with it.
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 11:45:13 PM »

lol cheoff you could be right , im just thinking its something im doing wrong ,have just stuck it on ebay so i will be picking your brains on what is the best detector to get for finding hammered silver  Grin

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 11:58:41 PM »

Well I hate to tell you this but there's none much better than the F75 lol
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 09:22:35 AM »

I thought the F75 was pretty much the same as the T2 - do you prefer the F75? Now I've sorted out the two problems I had with mine - the cable on the stem needed another loop to stop it flapping around and I'd been ground cancelling too quickly, I'm hoping for better luck myself.
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 09:34:36 AM »

dang cheoff what machine have you got?....bono im not familiar with the t2 , but im sure i was doing something wrong with the f75

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 10:04:28 AM »

I use a 13 year old Explorer XS Grin The F75 is a fantastic machine for small silver, Doc uses one and I don't think I've been to a rally with him where he hasn't found some silver.....ooh wait a minute, yes I have, Westbury, and then he found a Gold ring instead lol
They have there drawbacks the same as any other machine but they do find the goodies. Machine technology hasn't really changed for 30 years, yes there has been a few fine tunings, but to be honest I was finding as much 30 years ago as I am today. The only true secret to successful detecting other than practising and getting to know exactly what your machine is telling you is to go detecting Grin The more miles you cover the better the chances of finding something...simple as.
I hear people saying "Oh I never find anything worth finding" and then when I ask them how often they go detecting they say "Oh about 8 hours a month".
Up until the end of July last year I had found 12 hammies in the proceeding 7 months, in the next 10 weeks I found another 18, but this was because I was spending at least 16 hours a week detecting.
Plus you have the added benefit of the more you detect the more machine experience you get.
We all and I include myself, suffer dry periods, and we blame the machine or the coil but then that dry spell passes and we forget about our doubts until the next time.
Remember that this hobby has always been a "micro" hobby and machine manufacturers have to keep producing machines with new "gimmicks" otherwise their market would very soon be saturated and they would all have to close, but gimmicks they are, for if any of the "boost" "deep" or whatever else the system is called, worked, we would all be using the same machine.
I wish I lived closer to you as I would come out and give you a few pointers but if you ever fancy a trip down to deepest darkest Somerset, then your more than welcome.
My advice though would be, keep the Fisher and learn it.
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 12:49:55 PM »

well , youve probably hit the nail on the head geoff there,tbh i dont get out much prob about right 8 hours a month ,but with my older machines fisher 1265 and 1236x i seemed to do ok but was digging too much iron , so i opted for a machine with a meter....thanks for taking the time out and sharing your knowledge,and maybe i should persevere a bit longer

Metalmickey

Fisher F75 User.Some Men are Wise, Some Otherwise!

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 06:26:37 PM »

Final pic of the coin now cleaned, taken in natural daylight !  Wink

* Denny 2day 016.jpg (69.93 KB, 850x361 - viewed 635 times.)

If you want to understand today, you have to search for yesterday !!
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 06:33:39 PM »

A great job Mick, well done. Now what will you have to show us this weekend? If I were you I'd get yourself a nice bit of Saxon Silver Wink

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal