Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Welsh Finds  (Read 8320 times)
waltonbasinman
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 10:57:20 AM »

It is a good point that comes to my attention here. My fields are actually stradling the  Welsh/English Border. I live in Wales and am part of a welsh community but when it comes to getting permission to detect the welsh land owners are very slow in coming forward and have access to less than 200 acres where as over in Herefordshire have access to probably 10 to 20 times that and basically they say just get on with it and shut the gate on the way out. Thoughts any body. Undecided Undecided
Charles Cater

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 11:46:29 AM »

200 acres is a hell of a lot of land if it detected in the proper way.I am not saying that it is anyones ketle of fish but whn i started out in 1978 I was taught by an old hand and never deviated from the method.

i would visually mark out a 30 squre yard of land nd detect north to south then east to west and not satisfied with that I would take the area on diagonally.
At least i knew that the area was clear as far as the detector could go..

I would go back (with permission, of course ) when it had been ploughed and still found stuff in the same area even if it was lead dross.

It is always a good idea to get o know the farmers name, never call him by is first name, that is too perssonal, maybe his kids name too.

I am not tying to teach an old dog new tricks but it worked for me. I found the Welsh farmers very kind even if they said no. I would sltill offer them a free service.

Say nought and you won't be controversial, or so they say?

http://detectoruser.co.uk

http://members.boardhost.com/Tom1/
waltonbasinman
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 12:06:23 PM »

The ammount of land should see me to my wooden overcoat and is not a problem. It is the suspicion on the initial approach and the fact that i have known most of the people all my life is neither here nor there. I almost get the feeling they are frightened of me seeing something (that they are not letting on) or the fact that archaeologists have to be involved if i find something and i do live in the Walton Basin one of the largest and most important prehistoric landscapes in britain along with its roman fort, marching camps, vicus and not to mention medieval town of New Radnor, 3 Castles  an Iron Age hillfort all in a few miles radius of my home. As for your method i was taught exactly the same way and still do to this day. Hedgehog taught me so ask him he does know his stuff.
hedgehog
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 12:09:05 PM »

You haven't seen Walt though Charles , I have and he can look pretty scary especially when he wears a hat that looks like a skinned cat, even dogs run away and hide when they see him  Cheesy
waltonbasinman
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 12:51:25 PM »

My hat is world famous in Powys. See photo
Charles Cater

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 03:49:52 PM »

You can't beat a good cap, skinned cat or no, especially in bad weather.  Roll Eyes

Say nought and you won't be controversial, or so they say?

http://detectoruser.co.uk

http://members.boardhost.com/Tom1/
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 09:55:41 PM »

there's nothing wrong with that hat !...byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 11:59:10 PM »

What hat ?? lol

I had to look twice i thought it looked like a squirrel was having relations with your Detector lol
 Shocked Grin
waltonbasinman
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 05:39:31 PM »

In my best west counry accent. THAT MADE I CHUCKLE!!!!!!!!!!
KANE (DES)

RARE,FID

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 09:22:58 PM »

hi ken IHAVE GOT A CORONATION EDWARD-VII LIKE THE GEORGE YOUVE GOT THAT WAS FOUND IN SOUTH WALES ABOUT 12 MONTHS AGOMINES A BIT BENT THOUGH    DES

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal