Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: map of members locations ?  (Read 5241 times)
peanut

« on: February 14, 2012, 10:51:01 PM »

wonder if there would be any intererest in creating a google map for members to plot their approximate location on ?

i've seen it used very effectively on other sites like Cycling and Triathlon forums etc.

It could be useful for members to see which other members might be close enough for  detecting with other members or to see who might be in a particular area to assist with lost item searches or local information . It could also be used to help newcomers to the pastime by local members setting up equipment, offering search tips and advice etc

It could also be useful to see who might be in a position to share vehicles or offer lifts to rallies .
can't think of any more lol.

I'll get me coat ...... Roll Eyes
sodbuster
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 03:10:31 PM »

Sounds a good idea to me !
Sewin
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 05:26:14 PM »

Fantastic idea.
Not too confident it will happen though as lots of people here do not even put their town in their profile.
If for instance someone sent me a PM saying for example "I see you live in Carmarthen and I am on holiday staying on a farm 2 miles outside town and have permission during my stay to detect there, but am unfamiliar with my detector but see you have used one for a while, can you help?"  I would be only too pleased to do so.
As you have indicated, lots of potential.
It will be interesting to see what happens.

If you've walked over it, you've missed it! Unless you're walking backwards.  Think about it.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 05:53:02 PM »

hmm -  a few questions spring to mind.

- should we include forum members who have signed up, but not made any posts over the past few years?
- what about those who joined up, made a few posts and then none for the last 6 months/yr/ 2yrs.
- what about those who have logged in with multiple identities, or have changed identites.
- who will oversee the mapping info to make sure its up to date and accurate.

can the original idea be met in a more simpler way by starting an appropriate thread?

Personally i think the idea is worthy of discusssion, but it raises a lot of operational questions. The key questions in my mind is who will do it and does anyone have the time to oversee and maintain it?

cheers

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
peanut

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 11:50:46 PM »

hmm -  a few questions spring to mind.

- should we include forum members who have signed up, but not made any posts over the past few years?
No.. chuck em out
- what about those who joined up, made a few posts and then none for the last 6 months/yr/ 2yrs.

chuck em out
- what about those who have logged in with multiple identities,
]recommend a good Psychiatrist
- who will oversee the mapping info to make sure its up to date and accurate.
they are usually self updated by the members themselves

can the original idea be met in a more simpler way by starting an appropriate thread?

I would imagine it would be too unweildy to check. can you imagine wading through 10+ thread pages and hundreds of posts not including all the posts that ask questions and leave silly comments etc ....nightmare  Roll Eyes

Personally i think the idea is worthy of discusssion, but it raises a lot of operational questions. The key questions in my mind is who will do it and does anyone have the time to oversee and maintain it?

cheers

It only needs the site to host a googlemap then members can add their own POI or location tags. I'll try and find a forum that has one .

heres a link to one on Cyclechat. Unfortunately you have to be a member to see it .
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/add-yourself-to-the-new-member-map.90577/
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:53:35 PM by peanut » Logged
peanut

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 11:54:49 PM »

here ya go .... a members map facility
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1010
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 09:56:17 AM »

I think it could be a good idea, for all the right reasons.  For future members it would be easy. I'm sure the 'software' ? on the Join Up could be adjusted to make it obligatory to enter you location. I think Gender would be a good addition as well. That still leaves the question of who gets the job of sorting out the existing ones.
A spring clean of none active members could be a good idea as well. I'm sure this could be done through the software as well. It's easy to see who's active now if you go into the members listings. It looks very impressive to see there are nearly 1600 members but how many use the Forum on a regular basis. Not that many I'd guess.
Pro Consul is the one to ask about this question I think.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
peanut

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 10:19:37 AM »

I nominate Val for President  lol  Grin  all in favour ?  thats carried then  Grin
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 10:30:38 AM »

Thanks for the idea Peanut. We have looked at a members locations map before when it was suggested, and we decided its not something we intend to include on DW.

If members want to add their location to their name - feel free to, I know a few members already have. Failling that if anyones looking for a detecting partner in a certain area , just put up a post requesting it - there's always someone on here willing to help.

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 02:25:23 PM »

amazing idea  Cheesy

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal