Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone got any advice for would-be Newbie Detectorists ?  (Read 7634 times)
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« on: November 09, 2008, 11:18:42 AM »

We all got to start somewhere
In this day and age most Hobbies start with a quick keywords Search,  a spark of interest can turn into a raging fire before you know it
Forums are the new books
If you got any advice on getting started in our Hobby Please share it with our new Detecting buddys  Grin

Regards Phil Jones
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 11:23:33 AM by PHIL YNYSBOETH » Logged
16.5DD (richard)

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 07:19:16 PM »

first step advice this detecting can become adictive please be warned many a relationship built ,mainy lost you can wander in a dream from day to day looking for what we may never find the treasure untold.
it's fun keeps you active so go on start .

you never know what lies below......

dreaming of detecting whilst............
detecting as there nothing else i would rather dooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hedgehog
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 09:13:42 PM »

You need the next day to recover sometimes, it can be absolutely Kn*****ing so you need to be able to do at least 50 push ups to last the day. Or you can keep stopping and talking to your mate about what you haven't found, that's not so physically demanding!
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 09:59:37 PM »

Make sure your waterproof,  Smiley flask & butty"s, Smiley  detector balanced on settings,(not to much sensitivity)  Smiley Slow & Low with
machine. Smiley be tidy. Smiley enjoy the day.

altinkum

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 10:04:11 PM »

driving a car will never be the same again you'll be looking at every field you pass thinking i bet there's some stuff in there.  mike

explorers, my arse
mickycoin "mick"

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 10:24:36 PM »

hi there, firstly its better detecting with a friend or friends, most clubs will have a code of conduct be familiar with it, then its all the basic  detecting rules, fill holes close gates etc   etc   etc we all know them. golden rule if uncertain of a signal dig it anyway. good luck and happy hunting   mick

you have to walk over it to find it,even then its not a dead sert
hedgehog
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 09:49:01 AM »

You are right about the car driving Mike, It is dangerous at times looking at fields  Grin
ronniedigs
Rally attendee

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 12:30:27 PM »

meet some people that have knowledge ask lots of questions find whatsgood whats bad the buy, not before i like one type you may not try if you can but if you do take up this hobby enjoy it and abide by its rules.
trys
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 01:35:31 PM »

Dont start off with an over complicated machine, loads of buttons and features does'nt mean that it will find more than a simple switch on and go machine!
hedgehog
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 05:41:14 PM »

Good point Trys, should start with switch on and go, and don't swing the detector like a pendulum keep the coil as close to the ground as possible on all areas of your swing!
Don't throw anything away if you don't know what it is, don't try to clean anything until you know what you are doing, just pop your finds in water and clean with a very soft brush (not a wire/toothbrush). If possible go out with an experienced detectorist the first few times, they will give you lots of good advice.
zorro
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 09:28:24 PM »

my advice for beginners would be, before buying a detector, to join,or even visit a club.
when i started, years ago, a guy joined the club the same time as me and had bought a detector form ebay that was supposed to be worth over £600 for £90 (made in China).
it couldnt pick up a horse shoe on the surface with the coil 3" above it!
not only could the advice save you a small fortune you'll learn about identifying ,cleaning,preserving and recording your finds correctly. you'll meet some really interesting people with a vast knowledge across the board and see some amazing artifacts and coins. what could be better?
detectordave

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 09:33:56 PM »

I can only agree with zorro join a club and try before you buy.

IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED DO IT THE WAY THE WIFE TOLD YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE
waltonbasinman
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 09:48:25 PM »

Don,t give up. Get to know your machine. Practice at home with the settings and a few coins from your pocket and a few bits and bobs out of your dads shed. Search the net for advice from people who have the same detector. Refill your holes. Respect the landowners animals like now while the sheep are lambing. Shut gates. common sense, blah. blah, blah.  Wink
KANE (DES)

RARE,FID

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 10:19:36 PM »

if you have already got your detector and are ready for a rally i say dont go off on your own detect close by to people
so as if you got any problem you have got some one to ask advice off   DES
DIG IT! (ADIE)

X-TERRA 70 user explorer 11

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 09:07:11 AM »

My advice would be to get a easy to use detector eg whites prizm.c.scope.x.terra and just get out into the fields and give it a go! Wink

Heavy metal nut that digs loads of iron

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal